Post-Game Talk: Game 4 - Avs @ Ottawa - Home Opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Wow, those games-played numbers are really telling.

Consider that Ottawa's 4688 include Phillips and Neil numbers, which I'd guess are around 1000 and 600 games each.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Wow, those games-played numbers are really telling.

Consider that Ottawa's 4688 include Phillips and Neil numbers, which I'd guess are around 1000 and 600 games each.

It's over 1100 for Phillips and it's over 800 for Neil so together it's nearly 2000 games between those two players.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
If Chris Neil and Chris Phillips sit it drops to 2690.

Quoting this now.

And yet, we still look better, both long and short term, than Edmonton and many of the others at the tail end of that list. It's just where we are in the development curve right now.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
Wiercioch was ok in his own zone, had a bad game offensively. He had few chances to one time the puck but he either whiffed on it or tried to settle it before shooting. I still think he should be in the lineup ahead of Cowen at the moment.

Lazar was flying. It might be better for him to start on the wing. It's also better for him to play with Smith and MM9 and establish a good forecheck game rather than playing the energy role with Neil.

I have a feeling the Chiasson, Zibby, Ryan line will explode eventually. They just lack a little finish at the moment but they can be dominant.

Stone was frustrating all night until he made that beautiful steal, coffeecup and pass on the winner. Not enough credit goes to Turris since the start of the season.

Minus Neil, Philly and Legs = 1701.....such a fun young team

I came here to tell everybody they forgot Legwand has close to 1000 games played. Which also explains why BM signed him.

For those who went to the game, how were the new supporter's sections?

Great. I love it. Too bad the Avs had to score a minute into the game but the RSU did a very good job of making noise all game long. In time, people will sing along the seven nation army chant.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Seven Nation Army chant was cool for the 10 seconds. The chant at the end was embarrassing.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
That was a great home opener as far as presentations, and I don't know if TSN has tweaked the audio, if not, the place had tremendous atmosphere...way to go Ottawa!

The game had a bit of everything and that is what I love about this sport, miss hockey.

I think the guys getting heat this morning, Weircioch, Michalek, Legwand, etc...I think that with the new players in the lineup it may take a while for some of these players to find their game. Michalek made a great block and played hard, and looks to be skating well, I think playing with Smith will be an adjustment that may take some time to figure out.

Same with Legwand, he will need time to find his role, his game on this team. But you cannot replace experience and I think getting a goal will do loads for his confidence moving into Saturday's game.

Stone, Lazar, Chiasson, three new forwards compared to last year's home opener and all had an impact on this game. Way to go management!

I have a feeling Cowen is drawing back in for Wier but it is a winning lineup so...

Felt really bad when the cameras panned to the players as being announced as the scratches, that's gotta be tough but a huge motivator as well.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Quoting this now.

And yet, we still look better, both long and short term, than Edmonton and many of the others at the tail end of that list. It's just where we are in the development curve right now.

Big issue for Edmonton imo is that when the kids got there, they were the most prominent players in the room.

Karlsson and co had vets to look up to and not just vets but long term vets of the org. It's why without knowing for sure you may have to think there's value in having Neil out there, or Phillips, or paying legwand.

Let kids grow up themselves and they turn into Edmonton. An under 25 junior team basically

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
That was a great home opener as far as presentations, and I don't know if TSN has tweaked the audio, if not, the place had tremendous atmosphere...way to go Ottawa!

The game had a bit of everything and that is what I love about this sport, miss hockey.

I think the guys getting heat this morning, Weircioch, Michalek, Legwand, etc...I think that with the new players in the lineup it may take a while for some of these players to find their game. Michalek made a great block and played hard, and looks to be skating well, I think playing with Smith will be an adjustment that may take some time to figure out.

Same with Legwand, he will need time to find his role, his game on this team. But you cannot replace experience and I think getting a goal will do loads for his confidence moving into Saturday's game.

Stone, Lazar, Chiasson, three new forwards compared to last year's home opener and all had an impact on this game. Way to go management!

I have a feeling Cowen is drawing back in for Wier but it is a winning lineup so...

Felt really bad when the cameras panned to the players as being announced as the scratches, that's gotta be tough but a huge motivator as well.

Ya man I mentioned it in gdt. Through HD I saw right into their souls. They were very embarrassed. Should light a fire under their *****.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Ya man I mentioned it in gdt. Through HD I saw right into their souls. They were very embarrassed. Should light a fire under their *****.

It's tough because they're standing there and can't help but try and hear if there's any boos.

Speaking of the scratches, forgot what Marc methot looked like. He's been hiding. Looked smaller even

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
lol at the derision in the GDT before the Sens tied the game, what a gong show, so funny

Also, a funny comment was that the Sens didn't play good teams yet... Yeah, Nashville, Tampa Bay and Colorado are not good teams I guess.

Eberyone had a good game imo. Even Michalek and Smith were looking okay with Lazar

"Okay"? lol Smith was awesome and Michalek was great

I liked everyone outside of Gryba and Michalek.

If you didn't like Michalek, you will never like him as he played great tonight, he needs players that will help him maintain the cycle as he is a "bang and crash" player...

Not saying I'm surprised, some players will never win a popularity contest on this board.

Damn NHL. com didnt update lol just after i made a thread on the main board to gloat

Seriously? No wonder Sens fans have a bad rep on HF

Let's bump those summer threads later in the season if the Sens keep it up.

Should be expected since we were playing against a backup of a backup

Sens also hit 2 posts and Pickard played well, even made a pure robbery save that will be a highlight save in the season. That save was really something else.

I'm seeing more structure in the D zone. Players look like they know where to be and who is their man. A lot less running around than last year. Much more support down low by the Cs.

This. That's why the Sens are currently tied for 6th in GA, despite many saying the D is putrid. It's going to be funny later in the year if the Sens maintain their play. Oh but there will still be the "goalies play out of their mind!" card...

We're just sad that he isn't the surefire first ballot HHOF defenseman we saw before the Cooke assault anymore.

And what prevents him to get back to form? Speed? According to some studies, only Ovechkin has better acceleration and he is among the fast top speed skaters out there... Sens fans are going to say that to excuse Karlsson flaws

Number of NHL games on every current NHL roster.

11265 New Jersey
9554 Nashville
9359 Pittsburgh
9340 San Jose
9144 New Jersey
9129 Colorado
9107 Chicago
9086 Vancouver
8971 Dallas
8884 Boston
8879 Los Angeles
8425 Anaheim
8423 Philadelphia (removed Kimmo and Prongers games)
8408 Arizona
8153 St Louis
8119 Florida
8040 Washington
7831 Tampa
7737 Carolina
7695 Montreal
7509 Minnesota
7507 Detroit
7209 Calgary
7126 Islanders
6948 Winnipeg
6902 Toronto
6803 Columbus
5934 Buffalo
5073 Edmonton
4688 Ottawa

How long have I been repeating that this is a very young rebuilding team who lacks experience? Kinda incomprehensible as to why many posters around here don't really consider this in their assessments...

That's even greener territory if you remove Phillips, Neil and Anderson like many dream about...

And yeah, Ottawa is trending down obviously

Neil getting the boys going with that fight!

After he beat up McLeod, the teams momentum and energy went up a couple levels.

Wait, Neil is useless or not? I'm confused on the general consensus

Last edited:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
A lot of people always nag about the atmosphere at CTC but yesterday's crowd was awesome.

Probably have one of the loudest crowds come playoff time as well.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Big issue for Edmonton imo is that when the kids got there, they were the most prominent players in the room.

Karlsson and co had vets to look up to and not just vets but long term vets of the org. It's why without knowing for sure you may have to think there's value in having Neil out there, or Phillips, or paying legwand.

Let kids grow up themselves and they turn into Edmonton. An under 25 junior team basically

For sure. Getting a bit OT but Ferraro nailed it on Edmonton: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...e-experienced-coach-they-cant-be-less-served/

No balance in the roster, no conception of how to build a winning culture or, at the very least, create an atmosphere where the major bread and butter of the org could possibly thrive. Corruption and cronyism throughout management.

Tim in Buffalo has just begun to right that ship. Toronto has been a directionless mess for years now. Winnipeg works hard at sustaining mediocrity but still has limited upside.

There are teams on that list right up to Anaheim that I would not hesitate to put our model against any day and some at the top of the pile (and the top of the standings) that I feel we're capable of beating on any given night or will be able to leapfrog in the win column over the course of a season...if things go right, if players continue to buy in and coaches and management continue to make the right calls.

We've repeated over and over again that progression isn't linear so there will no doubt be some rough patches. All things considered, this may not be the season where we make major noise. But the needle seems to be pointing in the right direction based on early returns this year and looking beyond the mulligan of last year to the early days of the rebuild. Give players confidence in themselves, give them some support, make them value the team ethic and good things follow, potential becomes manifest more often than not and we can look at sustaining that success, building on it.

I've referenced Bill Murray in "What About Bob?", where he plays a shut in trying to break out of his shell, a bunch of times now and I do so because it's apt. It's not a false analogy for the team. It's apt. Apt!

Everything is baby steps right now.

172575-35719-172575-babysteps0gif-620x.jpg

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
How long have I been repeating that this is a very young rebuilding team who lacks experience? Kinda incomprehensible as to why many posters around here don't really consider this in their assessments...

That's even greener territory if you remove Phillips, Neil and Anderson like many dream about...

And yeah, Ottawa is trending down obviously

I'm actually shocked that Colorado is so high up on that list! Its a great list though, shows how inexperienced this team truly is. That's why I feel Wier and Cowen definitely need to be shown patience while they develop, and I have zero problem with them being put in and out of the lineup. They've been asked to play way way above their level of development and even if they only play 41 games each, its still better for their development IMO.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
A lot of people always nag about the atmosphere at CTC but yesterday's crowd was awesome.

From open to close the fans in attendance did a great job and the announcers mentioned it alot....i really enjoyed a few of the chants that came through the tv in the third and was very proud of the fanbase who i found helped the team out a bit in the late going. Would not advise continuing the "goodbye" chant at the end though.

TSN did a terrific job as well it was so refreshing....almost had a tear in that intro came across so well imo.

edit: scratches all looked really sad and i felt for themall but Methot looked extremely upset to me like he was holding something back....probably nothing but kind of made me curious......also What about Bob? an absolute classic, likely gonna dl that bad boy this wekend for a re-watch love BFM!

Last edited:

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada

Still room for improvement. I was in the 200s and we were like 5 to get up when there was a goal and that's including my girl who's not a big sports fan. The section in the 300s was loud but everytime I go to the rink it's the same thing. No wonder MTL and TO are so easily louder than us. It's okay thougj, different atmosphere, I went at the Habs game versus Ottawa in MTL in pre season and they are so annoying, so I guess it evens out. You could hear some kind of boos on Cowen I just cannot understand how a fan of this team can do that, so stupid.

Otherwise I had a good experience yet again always fun and the noise when Karlsson went on the ice was amazing

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
It was my 3rd or 4th straight opener the Senators haven't loss I am lucky.

In the reg season I haven't seen a loss in 4 years either

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
If you didn't like Michalek, you will never like him as he played great tonight, he needs players that will help him maintain the cycle as he is a "bang and crash" player...s

For the contract he just got and how management talks about him, I expect him to be more than a 3rd/4th line grdiner

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Can anyone comment on the parking exit after the game? They are suppose to be changing the way people exit.

Was it better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad