GDT: Game 4: Avs @ Ducks | Friday, October 16th, 8pm MT | Participation Medal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Being in shooting lanes = good. Because that forces the other team to move the puck instead of taking a shot.

Blocking a shot in the slot or in front of goal = not automatically good. That means the other team sees enough for it to be worth shooting.

Avs are terrible at pressuring the points so they have to throw themselves on the ice all the time. It's a reactive and passive way to play instead of an aggressive way to play. Combine it with poor anticipation and mobility which leads to them being an easy team to cycle against and you have the shooting gallery situation we currently have. Make no mistake. Those shots from the points are going to start to find net one way or another, even if Varlamov starts to play well.

Broken record here, but if you cant move yourself and the puck at the NHL level you are a massive liability. Holden and Guenin can't either. They should be in the AHL. Roy holding on to them is going to keep hurting this team. Stuart is also a massive problem because he's so limited.

It's not all bad. Roy finally realized we should have a fourth line that works in 2015 instead of 2003 and it's day and night. Now he needs to do the same for the defense.

In the previous games they wouldn't defend the point OR the slot area OR clear the front of the net OR rebounds.

So yesterday was a big improvement, IMO, and i hope they can build on that.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
Only caught the 3rd period, cause I was at the Jets home opener. But man, I can't help but make the comparison between the Jets breakout and ours..They move the puck out of their own zone so quickly and efficiently its so fun to watch. Whenever the puck is in the Jets zone, there never really seems to be an immediate threat of an opposing goal.

The Avs however, give the other team all the space they need to make plays and get good looks to at the net. They need to be way more aggressive in the d-zone than they have shown so far.

And for the love of god, can we please not sit on leads anymore. They need to realize that good teams never take the foot off the gas, I'd like to see more of that killer instinct from our offense like in the Dallas game. Cause we all know we aren't a ''lock it down cause we have a 2 goal lead" kind of team.

Still happy with the outcome and glad we got the 2 points.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Through four games. ES TOI/G

Tyson Barrie 19:06
Nikita Zadorov 18:15
Nick Holden 17:10
Francois Beauchemin 16:48
Erik Johnson 15:37
Nate Guenin 13:17
Brad Stuart 12:18

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Its a bit skewed because Boston was a come back game and parts of the Minnesota and Dallas games were too. Roy doesn't see EJ as part of that come back mode, however. Can't say I'm sorry to see Z get so many minutes though.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Just watched the game and pretty impressed all around.

Don't like how they get hemmed in their own zone so easily but you can tell the Ducks were really pressing and frustrated.

MacKinnon and Mitchell lines are the fun to watch.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
People can use every single excuse to justify Duchene's play but him not having a freaking shot on net is his fault only.

He is not doing enough for someone that is "the face of the franchise".

No excuses from me for Duchene's pathetic showing this season (including preseason). I'm not impressed at all with what he's done on the ice so far --which is absolutely nothing. My take on this guy is that he desperately needs at least one other linemate (preferably two) who can also carry the puck & make some plays with it (at speed) instead of only him. Mentally, Matt Duchene has convinced himself that he has to be a one man circus out there, wheeling & dealing every time he touches the puck. And when his fancy moves go nowhere, he broods & mopes around on the ice feeling bad about himself. Is it childish? Yeah, it is. But that's how this guy thinks. On the flip side side, if someone like a Grigs or Rants (or both) could be paired with him on a regular basis, instead of the glacially slow Iginla, maybe Dutch can get back to more of a skating, north-south style of play. However you view it, the Avs MUST get Duchene going offensively, coz this guy can be a force out there when his head is screwed on straight.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Knew it was bad when I saw he jumped on the hit. Hope we see Gormley now if he's suspended. Need someone who can move the puck to replace him.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Not a good sign that they seem to think it was both charging and interference.

Of course he will, but McJesus can do whatever he wants and gets nothing. Not saying Barrie didn't deserve a call but this just goes to show what a joke this league is when it comes to discipline. You're the new face of the league we'll brush it under the rug, but just a normal player then it will get reviewed and probably punished.

Just a joke. Knowing our luck we'll be down probably both EJ and Barrie for the LA game. I wouldn't be surprised to see both get multiple games because the league just seems to make **** up based on however they feel that day.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Of course he will, but McJesus can do whatever he wants and gets nothing. Not saying Barrie didn't deserve a call but this just goes to show what a joke this league is when it comes to discipline. You're the new face of the league we'll brush it under the rug, but just a normal player then it will get reviewed and probably punished.

Just a joke. Knowing our luck we'll be down probably both EJ and Barrie for the LA game. I wouldn't be surprised to see both get multiple games because the league just seems to make **** up based on however they feel that day.

Honestly. What has this got to do with McDavid? Yes, he should have been called on the hit by the refs in the game, does that mean player safety department should stop doing their job?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm pretty sure it's because there's an injury here. That's what drives these things. Barrie will probably get a game or two and it's probably deserved. I just hope that doesn't get in his head and make him less physically aggressive because how likely is it he ever gets put in this situation again? Barrie didn't even get a penalty, they should take it into account too. It's all because Despres got injured, which in unfortunate of course.

Anyone have a gif of the hit?

I'm not worried about EJ. There was no injury.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I watched just the second half of the second period and full period, but I still see a lot of work to do.

Don't take me for granted, I am extremely happy for the win and the two points, but the last half of the game. I was still witnessing the "chaos" in the defensive zone Roy was still talking about. Plus there was no calmness about it, every player was golf whacking at the puck desperately trying to get it out on almost occasion. Its like the Avs forwards/defenders are scared that zonal time will lead to goals, so instead of calmly skating it out....the defense are just ramming the pucks up the boards and the wingers have golf drivers instead of hockey sticks.

Then the two worst players in that game just kept coughing it over; Duchene and Guenin. Guenin is well documented so I don't have to explain it, but Duchene was fighting the puck all night long. Like every decision he made with the puck was the wrong one, though his puck control was also severely lacking. Especially in the 3rd period, he turned it over almost every shift from the neutral zone, which lead to zonal time for the Ducks.

I was pretty happy from the game Soderberg played, I think that line has strength to mesh together. Grigorenko, you can see he reads the game at the high level, but also worries about backchecking defensively as well. No offense to Rendulic because he deserved his spot from TC, but he isn't quite ready yet. He needs more time adjusting and trying to predict where the puck is going to be, always seemed like a step behind. He can do that in the AHL, but this is one of those cases you wish you had a player mixing machine, so you can add Rendulic's desire to hit plus shooting and Grigorenko's hockey IQ. Rantanen looked fantastic on the top line, you can see that his passing ability, setting up for the right pass and not throwing the puck away, and just these tiny little chips pass defenders help go long ways...in both zones.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
The Avs defensive zone coverage was better last night and obviously the goaltending was as well. They seemed to have made adjustments on covering the points a little tighter while also keeping most of the Ducks puck carriers to the outside for the most part.

The Avs also cut down on neutral zone turnovers and decided to chip it in deep and forecheck (1st and 2nd periods mainly). A few exceptions like Iginla still had a lot of trouble turning the puck over but it was better.

MacKinnon, Skille, Rantanen, Zadarov, and obviously Berra played well. Soderberg was a bit better as well and I think it was because he didn't have to carry two rookie linemates.

Iginla was pretty bad last night and he looks old and slow. Tanguay is also looking a bit over the hill as well. Barrie and Duchene are still struggling to find their game; hopefully they find it sooner rather than later.

All in all a decent road victory and all around better game than Boston. Still not great but a lot better. Hopefully they keep some of the positives and correct the negatives going into the LA King game Sunday.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I'm pretty sure it's because there's an injury here. That's what drives these things. Barrie will probably get a game or two and it's probably deserved. I just hope that doesn't get in his head and make him less physically aggressive because how likely is it he ever gets put in this situation again? Barrie didn't even get a penalty, they should take it into account too. It's all because Despres got injured, which in unfortunate of course.

Anyone have a gif of the hit?

I'm not worried about EJ. There was no injury.

Not a gif, and not a perfect angle, but…

He's going to be suspended I think. Couple of games perhaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEwm0VcUnN4

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He looks useless with it this season. Especially defensively and on the forecheck. He's fumbling the puck around a lot and has gotten his pocket picked a few times. I can't help but think a longer reach would be more beneficial.

He definitely looks useless but a short stick means less fumbling and better puck control. Especially since it's the same length he's used for two years. If he changed lengths now imagine how bad he would be. There's a lot wrong with Duchene but I don't think his stick length is part of it.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Doesn't Despres have 4-5 inches on Barrie? Honestly it doesn't look that bad. I've watched the DPS videos, it's not that the momentum of a hit can't take you off your feet, it's that you can't leave your feet to make the hit.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Honestly. What has this got to do with McDavid? Yes, he should have been called on the hit by the refs in the game, does that mean player safety department should stop doing their job?

It's the consistency issue that bugs me. McDavid should have at minimum gotten a fine as he was a first time offender. But in my opinion because the name on his jersey they didn't even give him a call. And if I was a player ie: Johnson who had a similar type hit from behind I'd use that exact video and appeal my ruling and ask them to their faces how it's any different.

I just want consistency. It could have been any player it just happened to be McDavid. You do something that is not a NHL legal hit, you get a call.

The league will lose even more credibility with safety if they just keep picking and choosing which hits are suspension worthy and what aren't. Right now it's like throw a dart at the dart board and see where it lands. Absolutely no consistency.

Don't get me wrong, I think Barrie does deserve a call from the league as does EJ, but so did McDavid and he got nothing because of his "status".

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Doesn't Despres have 4-5 inches on Barrie? Honestly it doesn't look that bad. I've watched the DPS videos, it's not that the momentum of a hit can't take you off your feet, it's that you can't leave your feet to make the hit.

That's exactly what it looked like Barrie did.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
The Barrie and EJ hits are both beyond defending. There's homerism and then there is just being silly. Both were suspendable hits, IMO. Barrie clearly jumps to the head and EJ went full speed boarding Perry. Stupid plays.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's the consistency issue that bugs me. McDavid should have at minimum gotten a fine as he was a first time offender. But in my opinion because the name on his jersey they didn't even give him a call. And if I was a player ie: Johnson who had a similar type hit from behind I'd use that exact video and appeal my ruling and ask them to their faces how it's any different.

I just want consistency. It could have been any player it just happened to be McDavid. You do something that is not a NHL legal hit, you get a call.

The league will lose even more credibility with safety if they just keep picking and choosing which hits are suspension worthy and what aren't. Right now it's like throw a dart at the dart board and see where it lands. Absolutely no consistency.

Don't get me wrong, I think Barrie does deserve a call from the league as does EJ, but so did McDavid and he got nothing because of his "status".

Did he injure anyone?

It's disappointing that when this team tries to have more physicality than a peewee team it's illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad