GDT: Game 39: Coyotes @ Flames - 1/7/16 - 7PM

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is where we probably disagree most. I don't see the "system" working well as you. Our shots are still dismal, our shots against are just as bad. Those are systematic problems AND player problems. Our players are putting it in the net way above average/expected and we have a young goaltender who is succeeding.

As a life long poker player, this is like running way above EV, and thinking you are better than you are.

In my opinion, we are playing better than we are, but we are 40 games into the year and the team has played the same all year. First year of a rebuild I'm very happy, and this team is fun to watch.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Uhhh.... there is no way you can qualify our coaching as "great". I'm more pollyanna than 95% of this board about Tippett, but I don't think you can qualify 2nd in a lousy division, with one of the worst PPs in the league, with lines that constantly change, as "great coaching".

Our advanced stats still paint a bleak picture, very similar to where the Avs were last year.

Gotta agree with Jakey (again... I know, big surprise), but the coaching is THE main difference. The boys are buying into and selling what Tippett is selling and it's working.... against all odds actually.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm not saying he's an impediment to our success. I'm saying if you look at our goal differential, 23rd PP, 25th PK, I think we are likely currently outperforming.

Which is probably saying the same thing you are. I guess I'm giving the credit to the players here (with shooting percentages (3rd in league) like we have had - I think it's fair).

I agree, our PK/PP need to be better and by looking at our advanced stats, our record is better then is deserves to be. I think we have caught lightning in a bottle with the play of Martinook/Domi/Duclair so far, Doan's goal scoring, and LD in the net lately. I think we agree, the players deserve credit, we have been fortunate, and Tip gets some credit too.

Where do you find the advanced stats?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Gotta agree with Jakey (again... I know, big surprise), but the coaching is THE main difference. The boys are buying into and selling what Tippett is selling and it's working.... against all odds actually.

Two great minds think alike.:laugh:

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Have the Yotes ever scored on the empty net?

I know it probably wasn't a serious question but I checked my game database and so far this season we have 4 empty net goals against:

Ottawa, Colorado, Anaheim, Winnipeg

Last season we also had 4 empty net goals against:

Edmonton, Philadelphia, Columbus, San Jose

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013

NHL.com greatly improved their stats this year after the great exodus of hockey analytics websites. But to be honest - I also have a spreadsheet for some stuff like shooting percentages. I have a marginal dedication to gambling on hockey so it becomes useful at times.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Basically, we are 7th in GF but 29th in shot attempts. We are 7th in shots against but 29th in GAA. In theory, we are shooting a higher percentage then we should be, and over time, our percentage will be less and our scoring will drop. We are giving up more goals then we should versus our shot attempts, but only slightly more, so it might not change much.

Although I have not looked, it seems like we are out shooting our opponents more lately which will help us. The stats guys will say that the more puck possession you have, the more you out shoot your opponent and the more goals you score, you win more over time. Solid goal tending and limiting scoring chances can make a big difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad