GDT: Game 39: Coyotes @ Flames - 1/7/16 - 7PM

KG

Sep 23, 2010
and hail #11! If (massive if) he stays healthy the Coyotes are going to the playoffs.

Indeed, looked great out there. Creates so much space for others, and too much to handle in front of the net for most goaltenders.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Agreed on Hanzal's return. Wish he wasn't so injury prone. Defense has also stepped up and Domingue looks really good in the net. Been more and more sound through each game. That translated into some big saves tonight.

We look more cohesive than ever over the previous few games, and much more cohesive over the previous 10 game span. Looking forward to where this translates into the "Tippett push" - dont we usually have some decent runs of points and/or wins in January and February?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The entire team looks like they took a collective breath and just... got their **** together. No other way of saying it. This is solid team hockey that's more like past (good) teams. Stone isn't being a dumbass, Murphy is playing with urgency, the bottom six is finally contributing.

Doan waking from his slumber at his usual scheduled time plus having a goalie that gives you a chance to win has them playing better. If you want to see how thoroughly Smith's crappy performances shattered the psyche of the roster, just look at their performances over the last half dozen games vs any stretch this season. Night and day. He should be bought out.

Good teams will still bulldoze aside the Coyotes, but I now expect them to win against middling to weak teams. Sneaking in and getting blown out by Chicago or Dallas is pretty overrated IMO, especially if it leads to dumb trades or non moves. I would hate to see the progress of this season wasted by a handful of dumb decisions.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Maybe so Tyson; perhaps I was hallucinating when I saw Duclair go to the corner to help Hanzal out literally right before that goal was scored.

Hanzal did all the work, Duclair more or less retrieved the puck.

I like Domingue. But we really need to upgrade our defense.

I agree about our D, but they played very well this game. Domingue has played well but still too early to tell.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Nice road trip. Don't **** up the homestand now.

As predicted, Domi and Duclair down to 14min per game. Surprised it took this long. **** Tippet. But the team is winning, so he's chuckling.

This post isn't worth a reply.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
and hail #11! If (massive if) he stays healthy the Coyotes are going to the playoffs.

I picked this team for a bottom five finish, and I still think they will, but this team has really amazed me. This is the first year of a rebuild, and as it stands right now we are ahead of other teams that are further along on their rebuild. The Coyotes have been competitive in almost every game played this year. It's really hard to find a negative other than if we get into the playoffs our draft position will stink. This team is so well coached and the players are listening and responding. Overall the kids are playing well, with a little bump in the road now, but the vets have picked it up.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The entire team looks like they took a collective breath and just... got their **** together. No other way of saying it. This is solid team hockey that's more like past (good) teams. Stone isn't being a dumbass, Murphy is playing with urgency, the bottom six is finally contributing.

Doan waking from his slumber at his usual scheduled time plus having a goalie that gives you a chance to win has them playing better. If you want to see how thoroughly Smith's crappy performances shattered the psyche of the roster, just look at their performances over the last half dozen games vs any stretch this season. Night and day. He should be bought out.

Good teams will still bulldoze aside the Coyotes, but I now expect them to win against middling to weak teams. Sneaking in and getting blown out by Chicago or Dallas is pretty overrated IMO, especially if it leads to dumb trades or non moves. I would hate to see the progress of this season wasted by a handful of dumb decisions.

You forgot to mention the great coaching. That is far the biggest factor why this team is where it is today. I still think we take a dump this year and we will hear the likes of you, rt and a few others demand everyone be fired.

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Our goalie won that game for us as he made some great saves. We out played them but we gave up a few too many scoring chances too. Never the less, if we hold teams to 1-2 goals, we have a great chance of winning games. Murphy keeps getting better, I hope he is on his way to a becoming a 2D. Hanzal makes such a huge difference all over the ice. While Elliot is a liability on D, he jumps into the play, reminds me of Yandle. Tip has some trust by playing he and Dahlbeck together, both rookies, at least until Z is back. I like all 4 lines we are rolling now. They all offer a different element.

We are on a 90 point pace at the half way point in the season. Tip deserves some credit so far, much better then expected by anyone. I would have thought going into the season that the only way that could happen would be Smith playing great. The second half of the season will get tougher, and other teams with more vets will pick it up and we will likely get exposed with all our youth. I don't expect the second half to be as good as the first half, but you never know, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013
You forgot to mention the great coaching. That is far the biggest factor why this team is where it is today. I still think we take a dump this year and we will hear the likes of you, rt and a few others demand everyone be fired.

Uhhh.... there is no way you can qualify our coaching as "great". I'm more pollyanna than 95% of this board about Tippett, but I don't think you can qualify 2nd in a lousy division, with one of the worst PPs in the league, with lines that constantly change, as "great coaching".

Our advanced stats still paint a bleak picture, very similar to where the Avs were last year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Our goalie won that game for us as he made some great saves. We out played them but we gave up a few too many scoring chances too. Never the less, if we hold teams to 1-2 goals, we have a great chance of winning games. Murphy keeps getting better, I hope he is on his way to a becoming a 2D. Hanzal makes such a huge difference all over the ice. While Elliot is a liability on D, he jumps into the play, reminds me of Yandle. Tip has some trust by playing he and Dahlbeck together, both rookies, at least until Z is back. I like all 4 lines we are rolling now. They all offer a different element.

We are on a 90 point pace at the half way point in the season. Tip deserves some credit so far, much better then expected by anyone. I would have thought going into the season that the only way that could happen would be Smith playing great. The second half of the season will get tougher, and other teams with more vets will pick it up and we will likely get exposed with all our youth. I don't expect the second half to be as good as the first half, but you never know, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Don't forget Gordon. I think he makes a big difference.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Uhhh.... there is no way you can qualify our coaching as "great". I'm more pollyanna than 95% of this board about Tippett, but I don't think you can qualify 2nd in a lousy division, with one of the worst PPs in the league, with lines that constantly change, as "great coaching".

Our advanced stats still paint a bleak picture, very similar to where the Avs were last year.

Tip would be a top 5 candidate for coach of the year if they voted today. 56 points last year, 90 point pace this year, expected to be 30th place this year, currently in 15th place, started 5 rookies last night. I think that qualifies our coaching as great:)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Look, with the first year of a rebuild, and the little amount of talent we have, injuries too key personal, I consider it great coaching. As far as stats go, the only one that I watch is the standings, and that is the only one that counts.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
If you want to see how thoroughly Smith's crappy performances shattered the psyche of the roster, just look at their performances over the last half dozen games vs any stretch this season. Night and day. He should be bought out.

I'm glad this is becoming obvious to people. Domingue is not a great goalie but he's competent enough to help keep us in games, like Dubnyk was last year. If he can get his rebound control refined a bit more, he'll be perfectly fine as our starter for the rest of the season.

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013
Tip would be a top 5 candidate for coach of the year if they voted today. 56 points last year, 90 point pace this year, expected to be 30th place this year, currently in 15th place, started 5 rookies last night. I think that qualifies our coaching as great:)

I'm not saying he's an impediment to our success. I'm saying if you look at our goal differential, 23rd PP, 25th PK, I think we are likely currently outperforming.

Which is probably saying the same thing you are. I guess I'm giving the credit to the players here (with shooting percentages (3rd in league) like we have had - I think it's fair).

Look, with the first year of a rebuild, and the little amount of talent we have, injuries too key personal, I consider it great coaching. As far as stats go, the only one that I watch is the standings, and that is the only one that counts.

That's the only stat that matters after 82 games, sure.

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Our owners would prefer the team goes down the path of mediocrity instead.

I don't see this at all. They embraced a rebuild rather than short term improvement. They embrace the youth movement despite the occasional embarrassing play on the ice. They agreed to an expensive buy out of Ribiero. I really don't see much factual support for your position.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I'm not saying he's an impediment to our success. I'm saying if you look at our goal differential, 23rd PP, 25th PK, I think we are likely currently outperforming.

Which is probably saying the same thing you are. I guess I'm giving the credit to the players here (with shooting percentages (3rd in league) like we have had - I think it's fair).

I agree, our PK/PP need to be better and by looking at our advanced stats, our record is better then is deserves to be. I think we have caught lightning in a bottle with the play of Martinook/Domi/Duclair so far, Doan's goal scoring, and LD in the net lately. I think we agree, the players deserve credit, we have been fortunate, and Tip gets some credit too.

KG

Sep 23, 2010

I agree, our PK/PP need to be better and by looking at our advanced stats, our record is better then is deserves to be. I think we have caught lightning in a bottle with the play of Martinook/Domi/Duclair so far, Doan's goal scoring, and LD in the net lately. I think we agree, the players deserve credit, we have been fortunate, and Tip gets some credit too.

The real question is if we can keep beating the stats the whole year, much like Colorado and Calgary, or if we're due for a regression.

cactus shake

Oct 22, 2013
The Pacific looking so weak this season is pretty good for our current situation, I think, assuming ownership/management stays true to the rebuild.

Only halfway through the season etc. etc, but it doesn't look like it will take much to drop out of the playoffs and into a high draft pick, with both wildcard spots currently going to the Central. However, if the team somehow finishes 2nd or 3rd in the division, it would mean a first roundup with another Pacific team (at the moment) not named LA. We're 9-1-2 against the division so far this year, so might have a chance at least of actually progressing a round, which could build some revenue and local buzz.

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013
The Pacific looking so weak this season is pretty good for our current situation, I think, assuming ownership/management stays true to the rebuild.

Only halfway through the season etc. etc, but it doesn't look like it will take much to drop out of the playoffs and into a high draft pick, with both wildcard spots currently going to the Central. However, if the team somehow finishes 2nd or 3rd in the division, it would mean a first roundup with another Pacific team (at the moment) not named LA. We're 9-1-2 against the division so far this year, so might have a chance at least of actually progressing a round, which could build some revenue and local buzz.

And realistically - if you are in, and you get goal tending, you never know who you can beat (though I don't think our chances are high against any central team).

The real question is if we can keep beating the stats the whole year, much like Colorado and Calgary, or if we're due for a regression.

The Avs really showed you can escape your fate for a season.

CORSI this year is a mess if you look at the standings.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

That's the only stat that matters after 82 games, sure.

Of coarse the players deserve credit. They are following the system put in place for them to succeed. The kids are giving this team a lot of energy.

YandlesMother

Nov 21, 2013
Of coarse the players deserve credit. They are following the system put in place for them to succeed. The kids are giving this team a lot of energy.

This is where we probably disagree most. I don't see the "system" working well as you. Our shots are still dismal, our shots against are just as bad. Those are systematic problems AND player problems. Our players are putting it in the net way above average/expected and we have a young goaltender who is succeeding.

As a life long poker player, this is like running way above EV, and thinking you are better than you are.

Scottyb123

Feb 2, 2010
The team would be much improved, and my frustration level would drop significantly, if we had a solid replacement for vermette. Do you think his poor play so far is his new norm? He continually makes terrible decisions with the puck and drags his ass around the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad