GDT: Game 39 - CBJ vs. Chicago Blackhawks (Sunday Dec 29 5pm)

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Why is everyone saying "get another veteran goaltender" ..."oh no, the house is burning down"

You don't just have Merlikins but you also have VV who is currently in his 5th pro season against men. Sleeping on your own dogs.

**If you want to try someone else rather than Kivlenieks that is as VV's numbers are a bit better today.
I mentioned getting a vet goalie, but not because I think the house is burning down. I figured to get another guy so guys like VV doesn't get called up to sit and watch when he could still be getting time in Cleveland. What happened happened, I am putting my faith in Elvis and I want him to step up. This is the kind of senario where you find out what kind of guy you have as a backup. If they call up a guy from Cleveland so be it, but, good or bad Elvis needs the bulk of the time when Korp is out to prove himself.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Hopefully Korpi isn't in too bad of shape.

But those things happen when you start a guy virtually every game. Before Torts blames a bad call for him getting hurt, he should look himself in the mirror.
I don't fault Torts at all. Everyone knows you ride the hot goalie. He was getting a starters workload, #1 goalies handle it. He was handling it fine until the injury. It's not like he is playing every day. If this was a couple years ago and Bob was getting this workload, no one would be questioning him playing too much.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think its a groin or a ACL/MCL issue. He was in pain. Not something he could just shake off. Having being helped down the tunnel. Didn't look good.
It was quoted in the athletic article that after they got him behind the bench he had to sit on a gurney to be wheeled into the locker room so he was definitely having difficulty even limping once he got to the bench.

Part of that could have been the equipment but he was clearly struggling after he stood up on the shot.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I don't fault Torts at all. Everyone knows you ride the hot goalie. He was getting a starters workload, #1 goalies handle it. He was handling it fine until the injury. It's not like he is playing every day. If this was a couple years ago and Bob was getting this workload, no one would be questioning him playing too much.

I would question playing a guy every day who has been riding on the bench for a few years.
I get riding the hot goalie, but playing him back to backs is asking for trouble.

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
Blown two-goal lead.

Lost to Chicago with throngs of Chicago fans in the stands.

Korpisalo hurt with no viable backup.

Words fail me.

Reactions: CBJ AZ goalie

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I would question playing a guy every day who has been riding on the bench for a few years.
I get riding the hot goalie, but playing him back to backs is asking for trouble.
I think he has been using him fine. He earned the starting job, playing a lot comes with it. There aren't that many back to backs, and he won't play both games every time. Most other games will have a day or two between them so he isn't being overworked. He got hurt playing his second game in 6 days, so he has been rested. These things happen. Elvis just needs to be ready. I think they just called up Kiv, so I will bet Elvis gets the same workload if he plays well. It goes with the territory.

Last edited:
Reactions: cbjfaninmo

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
If you watch the replays, he grabs his knee, not his groin area when he first comes up. Nothing about it suggests groin. Probably a knee sprain of some type - as he's sliding left, he tries to kick his right skate back to block the 5 hole. He might have over-rotated it or something.

To me, it looks way more like a knee injury than a groin.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
If you watch the replays, he grabs his knee, not his groin area when he first comes up. Nothing about it suggests groin. Probably a knee sprain of some type - as he's sliding left, he tries to kick his right skate back to block the 5 hole. He might have over-rotated it or something.

To me, it looks way more like a knee injury than a groin.

Per Torts, it's his knee and will be "weeks."

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think he has been using him fine. He earned the starting job, playing a lot comes with it. There aren't that many back to backs, and he won't play both games every time. Most other games will have a day or two between them so he isn't being overworked. He got hurt playing his second game in 6 days, so he has been rested. These things happen. Elvis just needs to be ready. I think they just called up Kiv, so I will bet Elvis gets the same workload if he plays well. It goes with the territory.

Your approach is not being followed by a lot of teams. Of course their backups are pretty good.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Your approach is not being followed by a lot of teams. Of course their backups are pretty good.
Depends on the team and their backup. There are some guys 30 starts and the backups have less than 10. This pace wasn't going to keep up. Either Korpi would cool off, or get injured. Bottom line is Elvis has to take advantage of his opportunities. VV played another good game, and if Cleveland had any kind of offence he would have a much better record. If he keeps playing this way and Elvis struggles, he will start to pressure Elvis for his job. If he hasn't already.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I was just looking at some goalie stats just to see how some are used when they are younger. If you look at Lundquist's first 7 seasons he played 460+ games, and had over 70 starts in like 4 of those seasons. Other guys would get those numbers also so I really don't think Korpi was being overused, that is just what comes with being a quality #1 goalie.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad