GDT: Game 38 | Detroit Red Wings @ Colorado Avalanche | 9:00 PM EST | FS-D ‎

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
This team really needs to figure out how to play three periods. That being said, the game and atmosphere were well worth the price of admission.

Detroit Sports*

Mystery solved. He won't be satisfied until we have the best goalie in NHL history. Until then, not good enough.

No one has ever argued Howard is anything better than an above average starting goalie. He's easily worth 4.5-5M.

based on what?

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
From Khan:

Babcock confirms what was expected, Howard will start Sunday vs Blues. Said he hadnt made any other lineup decisions.

Danny DeKeyser gets game puck after win over Avs in NHL debut pic.twitter.com/cJjumwPTyA
BHI6qEeCQAADFGm.jpg

For the love of god someone lock DD in the gym, dude looks like a twig.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Wasn't too impressed with the team overall. Avs definitely brought it for long stretches and Wings barely held on. Dats got a couple but he looked far from top form.

Yeah, Datsyuk hasn't been as dominant on the puck as he can be the past few games, but I liked the way he and Z were able to cycle at times tonight. I think they were a bit gassed from the back to back, but their offensive zone chemistry looked great at times.

Datsyuk now leads the league in both GWG with 6 and OT goals with 2. Coming up in the clutch.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
based on what?

Based on watching him and the results.

Upper tier starters like Lundquist get over 6.5.
Down from there, you'll find Miller at just over 6.
Go down another tier, you'll find Bryz/Luongo at around 5.5.

Keep going down the levels and you get to Fleury at 5m, whom last season Howard was superior to in every aspect. This year their numbers are closer, with Fleury playing on a far better team.

Like I said, we all know he's a middle of the pack starting goalie. He's going to get paid like it. From 4.5-5M would pay him from 12th-15th in goalie cap hits, which is relatively fair. That doesn't even count young guys like Rask and Schneider who are still on young deals and will get much more than that.

Don't even get me started on the blue line that's playing in front of him.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
That was a lot of fun. Totally terrifying 3rd, but fun the way Howard survived the onslaught and Datsyuk and Zetterberg kept pushing and pushing until they got it done.

RedWingsNow*

From Khan:

BHI6qEeCQAADFGm.jpg

I thought he looked small on the ice, but holy crap.

Can someone tell me what kind of defenseman he is?

He's a defensive defenseman? Because the dude seems really, really soft.

I liked his skating... His passing was OK.

To me, he looked a lot like a guy playing in his first ever game.

I honestly couldn't tell, based on this game, if he's a better defenseman than Lashoff -- at the moment.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
Howard looked crappy tonight.

Most of the team did. Goals resulting from a bad pinch odd man rush and own zone turnover didn't help.

Yeah, but using this as an example of a good game by Howard doesn't make much sense. He played good enough to get the win when the rest of the team, outside a select few, didn't.

Then again, we played the last place team in the NHL. Everyone needed to be better.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
This.I swear people on this board watch the wings only as a fan and not objectively as a fan of hockey.I wish Howard was better than Patrick Roy.He is average.He sucks in relation to top caliber goalies ppl on this board this he is comparable with.He is a middle of the pack netminder.

Haha. Your sheer arrogance in declaring yourself the the wholly objective hockey fan is really funny.

Hint: you're not objective either, and saying that Howard "sucks" in relation to whoever is Pejorative Slured. So there. I swear people on this board (you) only watch the Wings as pessimistic nincompoops and not objectively as fans of hockey.

Most of the team did. Goals resulting from a bad pinch odd man rush and own zone turnover didn't help.

Yeah, but using this as an example of a good game by Howard doesn't make much sense. He played good enough to get the win when the rest of the team, outside a select few, didn't.

Then again, we played the last place team in the NHL. Everyone needed to be better.

Howard made 33 saves, and the Avs were 10-5-2 at home coming into the game.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
having just watched the highlights i can say that in all my years of hockey-watching, it is damn rare to have such biased homer commentary as that guy from rocky mountain tv or whatever they call it provided. he went from screaming banshee to bored and indifferent depending on which team had scored.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
forgot about this game, which sucks since dekeyser played. very important win, though.

outshot almost 3-1 in 3rd period. was that b/c of back to back games, or struggling with colorado's speed and forechecking, or both?

from highlights, zetterberg and datsyuk looked very good. based on commentary here, that is not entirely accurate, but i read on another site that they outshot their opposition by double digits, which is very good.

anyone have PP stats for the last 10 games or so? road PP has been good since it scored vs calgary.

i'll probably add up the numbers from each game report later.

From Khan:

BHI6qEeCQAADFGm.jpg

in comparison to other NHLers, he looks like a 14 year old.

LMAO at these Colorado announcers!!

"ANNNDDDD DATSYUUUUKKKK -- scores."

go to 2:10

That was a stupid check to throw, Kronwall
if he had been called for a penalty, this game probably would have been a loss. in such a fast game, a slight movement by mcginn prior to the hit could have drawn a penalty.

brendan smith's hit on ben smith in '12 preseason, for example.

Mickey Redmond*

Nov 2, 2010

I honestly couldn't tell, based on this game, if he's a better defenseman than Lashoff -- at the moment.

He's your basic shutdown defenseman, can handle the puck at the point, but he doesn't score very much. He was physical in college, but he wasn't playing against NHL sized guys either. I imagine he will put on another 20-30 pounds as he gets older and does NHL caliber training. I can't wait to see what he looks like in a couple years.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Last 2 games vs the Coyotes and the Avs we are 1-1, but actually we are 0-1-1. Those are easy games, easy wins. But we found a way to lose one and win one barely in OT. Does not look promising.
Anyhow, I think we give up way too many good chances giving our opponents those counter attacks which are easy to score.
We have to play better than the last 2 games or we will just miss the playoffs.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013

I saw him play twice at Western. Pretty physical stay at home defenseman. Moves the puck up the ice pretty well.

Hard to say better than Lashoff after one professional game. I think he will prove to be much better. An awful lot of people were very interested in this guy, I don't think it was because they like his haircut

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Last 2 games vs the Coyotes and the Avs we are 1-1, but actually we are 0-1-1. Those are easy games, easy wins. But we found a way to lose one and win one barely in OT. Does not look promising.
Anyhow, I think we give up way too many good chances giving our opponents those counter attacks which are easy to score.
We have to play better than the last 2 games or we will just miss the playoffs.

Oh please! There are no "easy" games and "easy" wins in the NHL. This isn't Alabama playing some division 2 puke team.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Nights like beating the 30th overall team in overtime? :sarcasm:

At least we beat them and Howard gave them a chance to do so. He didn't have a phenomenal game by any stretch of the imagination, but made some crucial saves (especially on Duchene in OT).

ProPain, you're a Red Wings fan? Wow didn't know that.

Hey, do I have to remind how you guys got Yzerman? :sarcasm:

Yeah, because we sucked....30 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad