Post-Game Talk: GAME 38 - BRUINS 7 Tampa Bay 3

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1704622089602.png

1704620412527.png

BOSTON -- David Pastrnak had a goal and an assist for the Boston Bruins in a 7-3 win against the Tampa Bay Lightning at TD Garden on Saturday.
Trent Frederic scored twice, and Linus Ullmark made 23 saves for Boston (24-8-6), which has won five of its past six games.

“I really liked our third period. I thought we were smart,” Bruins coach Jim Montgomery said. “We didn’t give up an odd-man rush. We had numbers everywhere, and we kept hanging on to pucks in the offensive zone, making them defend so they didn’t have much energy to go the other way.”

Nikita Kucherov had a goal and two assists, and Brayden Point scored twice for Tampa Bay (19-17-5), which has lost four of its past six games. Andrei Vasilevskiy made 20 saves.

“Penalties hurt us early, kind of took the wind out of our sails,” Lightning coach Jon Cooper said. “We got ourselves back. I don’t know, it was a weird game. A lot of weird pucks going in the net. … Boston’s a heck of a team, but I don’t know, for us, we felt that could have been a winnable game, and you look up at the scoreboard and it’s 7-3. So, a little bit of a headshaker for me.”

Point gave the Lightning a 1-0 lead 21 seconds into the game, finishing off Kucherov’s pass from behind the net.

Frederic tied it 1-1 at 4:42 of the first. He received a shot pass from Kevin Shattenkirk, quickly spun toward the net, and lifted the puck over Vasilevskiy on the power play.

“Both power-play [units] were moving it really well,” Frederic said. “I’m just in front, so I was just standing there, but they were moving it well. ‘Shatty’ made a great play, and I was fortunate it just got up over [Vasilevskiy].”

Charlie McAvoy gave the Bruins a 2-1 lead at 14:56 with a shot through traffic.

Frederic pushed it to 3-1 at 1:49 of the second, banking a shot off Vasilevskiy from a tight angle.

The teams then traded goals 30 seconds apart while playing 4-on-4.

Kucherov cut it to 3-2 at 7:53 when he stole the puck on the forecheck and deked around Ullmark.

“Aside from letting in seven, I don’t think we really played that bad,” Lightning defenseman Calvin de Haan said. “You look at it after the game and you see the score, obviously you want to win, but I think we did some good things. I think there’s some things we can build on at the end of the day.”

Pastrnak responded to make it 4-2 at 8:23, holding off Tampa Bay defenseman Darren Raddysh on his way to the net and scoring on a partial breakaway.
“We tried to come back and we just kept giving up goals,” Lightning forward Brandon Hagel said. “So, you’ve got to be able to respond a little bit better than that and carry the momentum over instead of making mistakes and letting them just make it harder on us.”

Point cut it to 4-3 at 15:53. Kucherov pulled the puck between his legs down the right wing and passed to Point, who scored from the low slot.

Morgan Geekie made it 5-3 at 1:35 of the third with a wrist shot top shelf off a pass by Pastrnak.

“I saw [Pastrnak] out of the side of my eye when Hampus [Lindholm] had it, so I figured that’s who he was trying to pass it to,” Geekie said. “‘Pasta’ made a great play to draw the defender in, and I just tried to get a shot off as fast as I could.”

Jake DeBrusk scored a short-handed empty-net goal at 16:34 to make it 6-3, and Charlie Coyle scored on a breakaway at 17:14 for the 7-3 final.
“I think we did a really good job kind of keeping things simple and keeping them on the outside,” said Bruins forward Matthew Poitras, who had two assists. “They’ve got [a lot] of skilled guys over there, so we did a good job just trying to contain them.”

NOTES: Lightning forward Tanner Jeannot left the game at 12:08 of the second period after being hit from behind by Frederic. There was no update after the game. … Poitras played 11:01 in his first game since Dec. 16 after taking time away to play for Canada at the 2024 IIHF World Junior Championship.

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Randoms:

Poitras got 2 apples through being tough on pucks and willing to put his body on the line to make plays. Kid's tough. Welcome back!

Geekie impressed me at Seattle and he's carried on with it and probably even gone up a level again in Boston. Has speed, hustle, good hands. I don't think he's suddenly blossomed into a long-term top 6 center, but as a middle 6 guy who can play on multiple lines and in multiple roles, he's a very handy asset.

The Coyle line got beat up a bit 5v5 but all 3 players made contributions in other ways. Sometimes you need to dig down and find ways to make an impact by alternative means when things otherwise aren't going your way. Good to see.

Love him or loathe him, Kucherov's having an amazing season. Actually feel that for all the love NESN gave him last night, league-wide he's still a bit under-appreciated. Undressed both Carlo and Lindholm in this one. Respect.

The Bruins' offense is firing but the D is loose, not sharp on details and needs some work. I feel like if you combined Monty's offensive acumen and Cassidy's defensive nous then purely in terms of tactics at least you'd just about have the ideal coach. But the latter is gone and much as the current attacking flair is great, ultimately championships are built on defense, so our coaches need to help the boys tighten things up there. Too many unnecessary turnovers and poor decisions made. Goalies can't save every lapse.

Always very nice to put one over the Bolts. Seeing Cooper blow up on the bench just made it sweeter. Let's move on to Denver and hopefully the Bs can keep building on their strong post-Christmas run.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Team is already in Denver

Sunday, January 7 (Denver, CO)
- No scheduled practice or media availability

Monday, January 8 (Ball Arena, Denver, CO)
- Morning skate, 11:30 a.m. MT
- Head Coach Jim Montgomery and select players available to media following morning skate
- Game vs. Colorado Avalanche, 7 p.m. MT (TV: NESN | Radio: 98.5)
- Head Coach Jim Montgomery and select players available to media following the game
- Travel to Arizona

Tuesday, January 9 (Mullett Arena, Tempe, AZ)
- Head Coach Jim Montgomery available to media at approximately 5:40 p.m. MT
- Game vs. Arizona Coyotes, 7 p.m. MT (TV: NESN | Radio: 98.5)
- Head Coach Jim Montgomery and select players available to media following the game
Wednesday, January 10 (Phoenix, AZ)
- Travel to Las Vegas

Thursday, January 11 (T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, NV)
- Morning skate, 11:30 a.m. PT
- Head Coach Jim Montgomery and select players available to media following morning skate
- Game vs. Vegas Golden Knights, 7 p.m. PT (TV: NESN | Radio: 98.5)

Friday, January 12 (Las Vegas, NV)
- Travel to St. Louis

Saturday, January 13 (Enterprise Center, St. Louis, MO)
- Morning skate, 11:30 a.m. CT
- Game vs. St. Louis Blues, 7 p.m. CT (TV: NESN | Radio: 98.5)

Sunday, January 14 (St. Louis, MO)
- Travel to Boston

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
Not sure what Santa brought Jake and Freddy but what a gift. Maybe one of those Stanley Cups that are the rage this year? Whatever it was it's a shot in the arm and the back of the net to the offence. With Coyle and Geekie sneaky with their production and The Captain, Pasta and now Potsy back they've caught a buzz.
On the other hand they've spent 99 years to life in their own end way too often and exiting the zone is like winning the lottery. Without the Vezina twins they could be on the outside looking in to the playoffs instead of near the top of the league.
I'm neither a Pink Hat nor a Dr. Doom. This team has it's warts, they're discussed daily on here. We're probably not favorites to win the Cup. But you don't win if you don't play. So who knows? I do know this year has been a pleasant surprise and a total freakin' blast warts and all.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
Not sure what Santa brought Jake and Freddy but what a gift. Maybe one of those Stanley Cups that are the rage this year? Whatever it was it's a shot in the arm and the back of the net to the offence. With Coyle and Geekie sneaky with their production and The Captain, Pasta and now Potsy back they've caught a buzz.
On the other hand they've spent 99 years to life in their own end way too often and exiting the zone is like winning the lottery. Without the Vezina twins they could be on the outside looking in to the playoffs instead of near the top of the league.
I'm neither a Pink Hat nor a Dr. Doom. This team has it's warts, they're discussed daily on here. We're probably not favorites to win the Cup. But you don't win if you don't play. So who knows? I do know this year has been a pleasant surprise and a total freakin' blast warts and all.
I have noticed a lot more of them are doing the high flip to clear the defensive zone. Would have been nice against Florida last year.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I know I read (a couple of weeks ago) that Pasta figured into almost half of all of the Bs goals.

Some were worried when he signed his new deal, but he has been excellent. I love how happy he is for anyone who plays well. His leadership is really growing.

Pasta is such a gem.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Bruins becoming 1980's Oilers? Now 10 in goals per game, but down to 5th in goals against per game. 26 goals scored in last 5 games.

McAvoy (+4) and Grzelyck (+3) both break into the plus side for the season.

Freddy's first was the most skillful goal I've seen him score. Number #1 star.

Ullmark with only 23 saves, but quite a few were big ones.

Carlo had a rough game. So did Geekie & Debrusk, then they both scored in the 3rd period.

Nice to have Poitras back. Should be able to stablize the lines a little easier now.

Heinen with 6 shots on goal. Wotherspoon with 4 blocks. Excellent contributions from the bottom half of the lineup.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Bruins becoming 1980's Oilers? Now 10 in goals per game, but down to 5th in goals against per game. 26 goals scored in last 5 games.

McAvoy (+4) and Grzelyck (+3) both break into the plus side for the season.

Freddy's first was the most skillful goal I've seen him score. Number #1 star.

Ullmark with only 23 saves, but quite a few were big ones.

Carlo had a rough game. So did Geekie & Debrusk, then they both scored in the 3rd period.

Nice to have Poitras back. Should be able to stablize the lines a little easier now.

Heinen with 6 shots on goal. Wotherspoon with 4 blocks. Excellent contributions from the bottom half of the lineup.
Is Poitras ever going to be able to avoid getting mashed into the boards every game it even happened a few times in the Junior tournament,I give him credit he keeps bouncing up,but man .

I know I read (a couple of weeks ago) that Pasta figured into almost half of all of the Bs goals.

Some were worried when he signed his new deal, but he has been excellent. I love how happy he is for anyone who plays well. His leadership is really growing.

Pasta is such a gem.
And it doesn’t even seem to matter who he plays with he just keeps on producing,I think I could play on his line and he’d still be great.Lol

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Pasta is such a gem.

I have been most happy about the heaviness that is in his game now. He is strong and fights through checks, throws hits, wins boards battles, gives defense at least an honest try- he has really grown into a solid all-around player. No one will ever accuse him of being a Selke candidate, but he's come a long way in that area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad