GDT: Game 38: Avs vs Hawks | 6 PM MT | December 31, 2015 | Happy New Year!

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So the way Soderberg is playing, did he do that in Boston or has he turned it up a notch?

I think that will only be answered when he's paired with top talent for an extended run. In boston he did well with Eriksson, but underwhelmed when filling in for injuries on the second line; so far he's been rocking things with lesser linemates like he did on Boston's third line. But we haven't yet seen what would happen if Comeau/Martinsen/Landeskog - Soderberg - Duchene/MacKinnon got put together for a month.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
his 5on5 production has been medicore but powerplay production has been fantastic. he also had that 13-14 but got slightly less pp time back then with the bruins.

10th best points/60 on the 5on4 PP, 12th best on all PPs. and by far the best av.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I certainly don't recall him playing with this much jump before. He was a solid 3C for the Bruins with a good two-way presence, but not much more than that. He certainly had some trouble adjusting early on this year but he looks like money out there every time he's on the ice. At this point I'm not even sure he needs hotshot linemates to make a positive impact offensively.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Thanks for the replies but I guess I meant more how does he look or his game look? I know quite a few wanted us to look at signing him, is he playing how you envisioned or better? I didn't watch much Bruins hockey so I truly don't know.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Thanks for the replies but I guess I meant more how does he look or his game look? I know quite a few wanted us to look at signing him, is he playing how you envisioned or better? I didn't watch much Bruins hockey so I truly don't know.

pretty much the same. does have better hockey sense than i thought. which i think can help him age well and does provide good hockey for the duration of his contract.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
His defensive game and subtle plays were not highlighted nearly enough while in Boston because he played behind two guys who do that just as good or better than him in Bergeron and Krejci. So that part of his game is more evident here given we lost ROR and Stastny the last two years.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'd like to see him stick with Landy for a while for this reason.

Me too. Maybe if Landy can get chemistry with a red-hot setup man he can start scoring goals again. Certainly makes for a good defensive pair.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
That Oreo story with Foote :laugh:
There are some good stories out there with Foote as the joke. My favourite is still when he was Roy's road roommate and Roy had Foote go buy him a package of underwear.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I guess my last post for 2015 will be that if Landeskog is as "invisible" as people claim, they wouldn't even have minded if he would have stayed out of the lineup last game and this game. Wagner could have been just as invisible or even had a highlight reel hit at least

I can't speak for everyone, but I actually haven't mind how Landeskog has played the last week. I think he has played at a pretty good form the last two weeks or so, but there is no excuse for him to not have scored a goal since December the 15th (Which McMetal said was an empty netter).

Can you guess when his last goal was when he beat an NHL goaltender? [spoil]It was all the way back to November the 28th against the Jets in a 5-3 win[/spoil]. To me it is unacceptable for a player this talented to be this long without a goal. And I consider it hilarious how his goal struggles has sort of gone under the radar concerning this fanbase. Duchene was getting completely ripped on this board every day and night for his offensive struggles, but why does Gabriel get a pass?

He does provide a lot more than just offense so he's not useless when he's not scoring, but for a team this weak in winger depth, he needs to be dangerous piece every night offensively. Which he hasn't done for a month. Like against the Hawks, every star player got a point except for Hossa, if Landeskog just got one goal in this game, Avs win.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
On another note, the Avscast is back from hiatus with Duchene, it's fantastic. He's just so talkative and passionate about everything. Just some cool little stories. He talks hockey for the first half, then music, fishing and movies if you do/don't want to hear about that.

http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/podcastplayer2.htm?pid=510

Awesome stuff. Matty has to be the best interview in hockey. You can tell he'll just talk and talk for hours, and he seems to literally have no ego at all. Confidence aside I mean, which is something different IMO. He believes in himself as much as anyone can, but he doesn't at all view himself as better than anyone. Add on how articulate and detail oriented he is, and it makes for a great interview every time.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

He's been everything I expected him to be.

Although for some reason I didn't think he moved as well as he has. Dunno if that was just his size + boston's slow pace deceiving me, or if he's actually moving around the ice better.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I definitely didn't think Soda would be streaking up the ice with the regularity he has been.

I think the biggest difference is the difference in style with the East vs the West. It took him ten or so games to really figure out that he needs to jump in on the forecheck and doggedly hound the puck carrier. He relied more on positioning in the East and this is how his coaches wanted him to play.

Once he started to have success with being more aggressive it opened the food gates and he's incorporated that jump into his overall game, turning him into a great player for the Avs. He's been pretty close to ROR's best games recently with his two way game.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm a big soda fan, but no. He's not been at the level ROR was during that magical year next to duchene or the second half of last season.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If Soderberg is ever going to be better than ROR, he certainly hasn't shown it yet. I love how well he's playing too, but let's not get too excited over this.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm a big soda fan, but no. He's not been at the level ROR was during that magical year next to duchene or the second half of last season.

If Soderberg is ever going to be better than ROR, he certainly hasn't shown it yet. I love how well he's playing too, but let's not get too excited over this.

That got twisted pretty quick. Just to reiterate.

He's been pretty close to ROR's best games recently with his two way game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad