GDT: Game 38: Avs vs Hawks | 6 PM MT | December 31, 2015 | Happy New Year!

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
It's the same spiel was MacKinnon, would it be nice if Landy scored yes but he is still 3rd in points with 4 less games. It's not like he's lagging behind in that department. Just look at the big picture sometimes.

Nobody threw a party when Nashville lost?

I'm happy that they're now within 4 points of their spot. They actually finished the month of December pretty well, and I'm optimistic about their overall play over the last little bit. Do they have bad periods/games? Sure, but I still see some good in what they're doing, they just need to dig deep and find a way to keep that going.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
Was at the game tonight having traveled in from Chicago

As has been mentioned, good first, horrible second, and character third period

I really wish Roy put the full house line back together tonight after the success they had last game against Chicago (especially with last change)... I thought Tanguay and Iginla were awful and it seemed like they were intentionally trying to get Iginla his milestone goal instead of properly being selfish for the available play

The 3 on 3 OT was great, still don't know who was at fault for the penalty but just a brutal time to happen considering there is no way the Hawks wanted to see a shootout

I can't fail to mention that I was proud of the Avalanche fans holding their own with the many Hawk fans I knew would fill the Can ... Hawk fans are easily one of the most annoying groups (this coming from a former follower 20+ years ago)

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
600 can't happen soon enough, I don't want to hear the media talking about it for weeks and I can't watch then constantly try to set him up and McNab exclaim "oh here's Iginla!" over and over again.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
1 point closer to Nashville, that's all that matters to me. We didn't deserve the point, so getting it is nice. Remember, earlier in the year we were not able to get games to overtime at any cost. All our losses came in regulation. If you're gonna lose a game, get a point out of it.

Great game by Soderberg. Honestly thought this game would be a lot worse once I heard Barrie wasn't playing.

Also, in overtime, I know this is not going to come off well but I honestly don't want to see MacKinnon take the ice ever again. He seems like he has no idea what's going on and his acceleration from a stand still point is EXTREMELY slow. Quite possibly the slowest I've ever seen from a player who is classified as a fast player.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
600 can't happen soon enough, I don't want to hear the media talking about it for weeks and I can't watch then constantly try to set him up and McNab exclaim "oh here's Iginla!" over and over again.

"Iginla up the ice!..winds up!..Hawks intercept!..Here come the Haaawwwwwkkss!..................score"

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
He has been trash tonight. Rookie level decision making, puck control and passing accuracy. That's not including his shooting accuracy.

He's got to be great for us already. All the effort is there and the talent is obvious but it's all the IQ and the application to doing the little things properly.

IMO the mental side of MacKinnon's game is sorely lacking compared to his physical skills. Age is one major reason for that, but I also believe that he never needed (or learned) to be an especially smart player in juniors because he was always able to simply blow past opponents and take the puck to the net largely unhindered. Obviously the NHL game isn't nearly as easy as that. In short, if Mack's hockey smarts ever catch up to his raw physical talent level, he's gonna be a frickin' beast. On the other hand, if he doesn't have what it takes to eventually improve his game mentally, he'll always be pretty much what he is now--a very good player, but not a great player.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
IMO the mental side of MacKinnon's game is sorely lacking compared to his physical skills. Age is one major reason for that, but I also believe that he never needed (or learned) to be an especially smart player in juniors because he was always able to simply blow past opponents and take the puck to the net largely unhindered. Obviously the NHL game isn't nearly as easy as that. In short, if Mack's hockey smarts ever catch up to his raw physical talent level, he's gonna be a frickin' beast. On the other hand, if he doesn't have what it takes to eventually improve his game mentally, he'll always be pretty much what he is now--a very good player, but not a great player.
He's 20th in scoring, and everyone above him is older than he is. The closest person to him in age is still 2 years older than he is.

MacKinnon is fine. He's already a great player who is on the path to becoming elite. I think he's a much smarter player than people give him credit for. He's transitioned back to center after spending most of the first two years on the wing, and done it very well. His defensive game has taken massive strides. Some of the posts in here are painful to read.

It's too bad MacKinnon had to spend a good chunk of his even strength time tonight anchored bu Nate Guenin, to go with his two old linemates who can't do anything defensively. Tanguay was out at center ice most of the time when the play was in the defensive zone. Iginla did a great job doing absolutely nothing on the Desjardins goal.

MacKinnon is carrying around the remains of two once great players on each wing. He's not the problem.

Last edited:

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
I'm as big of a MacKinnon fan as any of you are, but I don't think it's unfair to sometimes question where he is developmentally. Maybe we just have different definitions of what constitutes a good, a great and an elite level player. I consider Mack to be a VERY good offensive player, bordering on great occasionally. I view him as below average defensively however. Will he ever reach elite status? My guess is yes---given his tender age, provided he becomes more consistent with his on-ice decisions. I think we can all agree that Mack can dazzle the hell out of you one shift, and then follow that up with some boneheaded play the next shift. Pointing that out doesn't mean I don't like the guy, or I don't appreciate all the good things he does out there.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I think he has improved defensively this year. He's not perfect but he seems to be working on this aspect of his game so I'm not worried at all.
Iginla on the other hand... he's becoming a bit of a problem.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

Yeah, he needs to get it soon so that we can reduced his ice time even more when Rantanen rejoins the big team.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Other than Beauchemin, older guys don't fit well in this team: Iggy, Tangs, Stuart...

DUHockey

Dec 15, 2015
Can someone please ask Roy 3 questions?

Why did Skille play 4:51 in a 63 minute game and was +1?

Why did Mcleod play 7 minutes in one of the best games he's played in a while and had a goal and +1?

Why is Grigs still playing center when he loses 75% of his face-offs on any given night?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I've come to realize Tanguay and Iginla are both hurting this team by being on it. Without them the team would be better.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Can someone please ask Roy 3 questions?

Why did Skille play 4:51 in a 63 minute game and was +1?

Why did Mcleod play 7 minutes in one of the best games he's played in a while and had a goal and +1?

Why is Grigs still playing center when he loses 75% of his face-offs on any given night?

4th line
When they are down a couple goals the bench shortens
He doesn't

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
I've come to realize Tanguay and Iginla are both hurting this team by being on it. Without them the team would be better.

Significantly hurting this team I would say. Both are slow, defensively lackadaisical, and low energy too. Yeah, Iggy scores a goal now & again, and Tanguay gets an assist here & there, but that's the extent of their contribution to this team. I don't think there's any question these two are in the lineup nightly due to their cozy relationship with Roy & Sakic.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He's 20th in scoring, and everyone above him is older than he is. The closest person to him in age is still 2 years older than he is.

MacKinnon is fine. He's already a great player who is on the path to becoming elite. I think he's a much smarter player than people give him credit for. He's transitioned back to center after spending most of the first two years on the wing, and done it very well. His defensive game has taken massive strides. Some of the posts in here are painful to read.

It's too bad MacKinnon had to spend a good chunk of his even strength time tonight anchored bu Nate Guenin, to go with his two old linemates who can't do anything defensively. Tanguay was out at center ice most of the time when the play was in the defensive zone. Iginla did a great job doing absolutely nothing on the Desjardins goal.

MacKinnon is carrying around the remains of two once great players on each wing. He's not the problem.

This. Just so much this.

4th line
When they are down a couple goals the bench shortens
He doesn't

You say that as though 43.5% isn't 25%...wait...

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'm as big of a MacKinnon fan as any of you are, but I don't think it's unfair to sometimes question where he is developmentally. Maybe we just have different definitions of what constitutes a good, a great and an elite level player. I consider Mack to be a VERY good offensive player, bordering on great occasionally. I view him as below average defensively however. Will he ever reach elite status? My guess is yes---given his tender age, provided he becomes more consistent with his on-ice decisions. I think we can all agree that Mack can dazzle the hell out of you one shift, and then follow that up with some boneheaded play the next shift. Pointing that out doesn't mean I don't like the guy, or I don't appreciate all the good things he does out there.
I think calling MacKinnon below average defensively is just plain incorrect. Not saying he's great, but below average is wrong.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Just watched the game this morning. Happy to walk away with one point after that performance in the second period. I was very surprised they came back and got it to OT. Not having Barrie really hurt.

Not a fan of these lines. The MacKinnon line will occasionally show some good chemistry but it's still MacKinnon with two guys who can't keep up with him and it also forces him to be the best defensive forward on the line. Duchene is stuck with two 4th liners. They actually didn't look too bad but I think it limits what Duchene can do.

Oh and something something Iginla and Tanguay old folks home, strip him of the A, etc.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think calling MacKinnon below average defensively is just plain incorrect. Not saying he's great, but below average is wrong.

Our token blues fan can pick whatever he wants to downgrade MacK over. But the kid has been having a very strong season, even with his recent offensive struggles.

Nevermind that he's doing it at as young an age as he is, while learning-on-the-fly to playing C in the NHL full time.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
MacKinnon is doing fine. Maybe everybody thought he'd be a pure goal-scorer when he was drafted, but it doesn't look like that's going to be the case. That's fine though, he's still a very dangerous player out there. Leading the team in points isn't an accident for him. I just wish he would work on his shooting accuracy off the rush. He seems to miss wide every time he gets a clear shot breaking into the zone. He's no slouch defensively either. For his age he's holding his own and is much improved over last season already.

I still think he's playing with a nagging injury though. His speed and acceleration between October and December is way down.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Our problem at home is simple. We cant execute and we overpass. We couldve won the game in the 1st if our guys could execute. i didnt think we were terrible beyond the 2nd period. That too many men on the ice penalty was frustrating as hell since we got away with it against phoenix. guys dont learn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad