GDT: Game 38: Avs vs Hawks | 6 PM MT | December 31, 2015 | Happy New Year!

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think the biggest difference is the difference in style with the East vs the West. It took him ten or so games to really figure out that he needs to jump in on the forecheck and doggedly hound the puck carrier. He relied more on positioning in the East and this is how his coaches wanted him to play.

Once he started to have success with being more aggressive it opened the food gates and he's incorporated that jump into his overall game, turning him into a great player for the Avs. He's been pretty close to ROR's best games recently with his two way game.

I'm a big soda fan, but no. He's not been at the level ROR was during that magical year next to duchene or the second half of last season.

If Soderberg is ever going to be better than ROR, he certainly hasn't shown it yet. I love how well he's playing too, but let's not get too excited over this.

I see Soderberg much more like Stastny than O'Reilly.

O'Reilly's style was smart, but he chased down pucks a lot, and could retrieve extremely well. Hence the absurd amount of take-aways.

Stastny & Soderberg are much more cerebral and preemptive in the way they read the play and try to get in front of it IMO. But neither were as good about straight up going and getting the puck back as O'Reilly.

I think this is why it took people a little longer to warm up on Soderberg, while others liked him right away and could appreciate his quiet production and contribution away from the play.

Now that hes even more involved (just generally a little more aggressive) and people are watching him specifically more, more people are appreciating his game.

I do think Soderberg might get some Casper treatment over his years here though. Who knows maybe not as much though, because we are not wishing and hoping he returns to putting up 70 points.

Offensive hockey IQ is where I am surprised, the fact that he can do it so well in all three zones. I do wonder to myself what kind of point totals he'll have regularly once him and Landeskog really get used to each other.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I see Soderberg much more like Stastny than O'Reilly.

O'Reilly's style was smart, but he chased down pucks a lot, and could retrieve extremely well. Hence the absurd amount of take-aways.

Stastny & Soderberg are much more cerebral and preemptive in the way they read the play and try to get in front of it IMO. But neither were as good about straight up going and getting the puck back as O'Reilly.

I think this is why it took people a little longer to warm up on Soderberg, while others liked him right away and could appreciate his quiet production and contribution away from the play.

Now that hes even more involved (just generally a little more aggressive) and people are watching him specifically more, more people are appreciating his game.

I do think Soderberg might get some Casper treatment over his years here though. Who knows maybe not as much though, because we are not wishing and hoping he returns to putting up 70 points.

Offensive hockey IQ is where I am surprised, the fact that he can do it so well in all three zones. I do wonder to myself what kind of point totals he'll have regularly once him and Landeskog really get used to each other.

Agreed to an extent. I think Soda's dogged stickwork on the forecheck is much closer to ROR though than Stastny's style. His playmaking style is closer to Stastny than ROR's playmaking style though.

It's interesting that him and Tanguay seem to be gaining some chemistry together as two cerebral playmakers. They're able to read what each other is thinking pretty well. Wouldn't be surprised to see them together 5 on 5 at some point.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Soda might go a bit quiet when he isn't in beast mode like he has been lately. That's ok as long as he keeps making smart plays. One of the first things I noticed about him was how he helped the PP and slowed it down a half a second to make a play. Sometimes I feel like this team tries to play too fast and just ends up flinging the puck around. Some composure is much needed.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Agree that Yeti brings a lot of what was lost with Stastny.

I especially think TV's post highlights a big part of why I'm glad Yeti is on board.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Agreed to an extent. I think Soda's dogged stickwork on the forecheck is much closer to ROR though than Stastny's style. His playmaking style is closer to Stastny than ROR's playmaking style though.

It's interesting that him and Tanguay seem to be gaining some chemistry together as two cerebral playmakers. They're able to read what each other is thinking pretty well. Wouldn't be surprised to see them together 5 on 5 at some point.

Could be interesting to have Tangs on the right side with Sodakog lol.

If Tangs was not scoring, but still playing well away from the puck. Unfortunately Soda's line sees match ups that would destroy Tanguay right now lol.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Could be interesting to have Tangs on the right side with Sodakog lol.

If Tangs was not scoring, but still playing well away from the puck. Unfortunately Soda's line sees match ups that would destroy Tanguay right now lol.

I could see them going back to the stacked top line at some point, and giving the 3rd line more defensive zone starts and matchups.

Landy - Mack - Duchene
Tangs - Soda - Iggy
Martinsen - Mitchell - Comeau
McLeod - Grigo - Skille

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I could see them going back to the stacked top line at some point, and giving the 3rd line more defensive zone starts and matchups.

Landy - Mack - Duchene
Tangs - Soda - Iggy
Martinsen - Mitchell - Comeau
McLeod - Grigo - Skille

I think Yeti would be great between the retirement-home-duo; but I think Roy really likes the way he can carry a line and handle the toughest assignments. Especially since Mitchell did a fine job as the RN for those two and that they need their minutes to be carefully managed; while Roy clearly wants Soda on the ice as much as possible; and doesn't mind Biffkaka & Lake Como playing those bigger minutes as much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad