GDT: Game #38 - 01.04.15 - at Chicago - 7:00 PM - NBCSN - 570 AM KLIF

NukeJukes43

Lol, you guys are just being cry babies about it though and are embarrassingly homerish about protecting kari. I didn't start yelling "TRADE KARI!!!" just because we didn't win. But stop telling anyone else with a different opinon on Kari to chill. He hasn't been great by any means of the imagination, he's been mediocre. We have plenty of reason to be mad at him letting in the Richards goal. Which incase you've forgotten that's not the first or even second time he's done that.

Seriously you guys are being silly. I blame Kari. If you wanna throw the b2b excuse around fine, if that's the case then he really does suck because it means we can't rely on him in a b2b ever.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The only thing Im a little ticked about is that weak Richards goal. Other than that, Im not blaming Kari much. Defense is still an issue and maybe even mentality. Feels like we havent been able to win a high profile/pressure game like this in a while. Maybe the St.Louis or NY game, maybe it just sucks to be beat by the hawks haha

TangoMcBride

Feb 28, 2008
The DF Dub
Quality NHL goaltenders do not allow goals like that to be scored when you're nursing a one goal lead with less than 5 minutes to play. Kari deserves the criticism so I will not apologize for criticizing him.

Kari has not been good this year. That's all there is to it.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
You guys can call the Kari hate unwarranted all you want, but the constant coddling of him by the other side is too funny.
No one was coddling him when he was awful earlier in the season. He's not awful now, he's been quite good, yet on the 2nd night of a B2B gets all the hate. It's beyond absurd.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Yeah, went back and looked at our past games, changed my mind.

Ah I see the edit now. :laugh:

I still think these past three games have been our best of the season. We were lucky to win some of the games we did on this current run, but all 5 of these points we're well earned.

If we play like we have the past three game nights, we'll be fine the rest of the way.

NukeJukes43

No one was coddling him when he was awful earlier in the season. He's not awful now, he's been quite good, yet on the 2nd night of a B2B gets all the hate. It's beyond absurd.

It's not "beyond absurd". What world do you live in where no goalie has ever been good in a b2b siuation?

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
I just hope the Stars remember this effort next time they play back to back (oh hey it's against Chicago. Again.) and they try to replicate it. We can get points in these games if our guys play up to their potential.

TangoMcBride

Feb 28, 2008
The DF Dub
Outside of a game here and there, there's no doubt that's correct.

But I still wouldn't put the blame on him for losing tonight. Every single goal has a certain person to look at for a result of it, outside of the fluke 4th one.
Yes but timing makes a difference. An interception thrown by your QB on the last drive when you're down by 1 is more damaging than the fumble that was lost by his RB in the first half. You just can't make mistakes like that in crunch time.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
if that's the case then he really does suck because it means we can't rely on him in a b2b ever.

How many goalies play both games in a b2b ?

Here I will use my TBL as an example:

Oct 13-14: Bishop then Nabokov
Oct 20-21: Bishop then Nabokov
Oct 24-25: Bishop then Nabokov pulled after 20 min and replaced by Bishop who was .786 in the second game
Nov 8-9: Nabokov then Bishop
Nov 17-18: Bishop then Nabokov
Dec 1-2: Bishop then Nabokov
Dec 15-16: Bishop(inj)/Nabokov then Vasilevskiy
Dec 19-20: Nabokov then Vasy

So in this entire season the Bolts have never started a goalie twice in a row. Because that is literally the reason you have backups. Also Nabokov is complete **** and might actually be worse than Lindback but he was still given b2b games because playing tired goalies leads to losses.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
Yes but timing makes a difference. An interception thrown by your QB on the last drive when you're down by 1 is more damaging than the fumble that was lost by his RB in the first half. You just can't make mistakes like that in crunch time.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but there's also a reason goalies don't play back to back most nights either.

I don't think the result would've been any different with Lindback in net, but I fully expected Kari to give up a crapper for the ole fact that he was playing on the b2b. Sucks that it came at the worst time possible.

MetalGodAOD*

I'm not disagreeing with you, but there's also a reason goalies don't play back to back most nights either.

I don't think the result would've been any different with Lindback in net, but I fully expected Kari to give up a crapper for the ole fact that he was playing on the b2b. Sucks that it came at the worst time possible.

Goalie guild has done a ton of analysis of it, and it almost always favors starting the backup. This is from December:

Teams are now 54-70-17 in tail-end games of a back-to-back. Goalies that start both are only 9-21-1 in the tail-end game

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Goalie guild has done a ton of analysis of it, and it almost always favors starting the backup. This is from December:

I'd have to search for the exact statistic but I recently read that a goalie playing both games of a b2b averages ~.890 in the second game while a different goalie playing the second night averages ~.910

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad