Post-Game Talk: GAME 37 - Penguins 6 BRUINS 5

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
There's a reason they only play 6 minutes a night.

And I never blamed the 4th line for the loss last night.

They are getting less and less ice time because they are not playing well. When Poitras comes back perhaps they can get a veteran on that line and things will improve.

This is true. But as I said elsewhere, it's not sustainable. Wind back to 2019 and even in the playoffs when it's all on the line, Acciari (who took our bottom 6 to school last night BTW), Kuraly, Wags and Nordy were averaging 13 mins a night, and mostly doing a very good job of it until the Blues got to them a bit. Have to factor in some PK time into that, but still, it's night and day compared to what we're seeing of late.

Times have changed a bit and almost no 4th line's getting that sort of TOI these days, but 6 mins isn't going to cut it. Of course that was a particularly bad night but even the 9-10 that they've averaged over the whole season is a little short of where it probably needs to be, and the trend has very much been in the wrong direction. It needs to be sorted out, one way or another. The costs of not doing so are too high.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
McAvoy and Lindholm possibly our two most important players were easily our worst players last night when it came to being hard to play against. They made it look easy for the Pens. If I’m Monty, I bag skating Chuckie and giving Lindholm a few nights off to get his head straight.

Montgomery should bag skate himself.

He bitches about this, that and the other but appears to take little responsibility for basic issues that continue to plague his team.

Winning four straight in convincing fashion with a strong, relentless forecheck was heartening to see and there's no reason whatever why Boston can't play this way going forward. Yes, it requires a great deal of persistent effort but the Bruins are not talented enough, or deep enough, to win any other way.

They have to play a blue collar, methodical, assertive game.

They have to beat opponents to the puck on a consistent basis. Otherwise, you get what you had against the Penguins. Like any club, the Bruins are going to lose games, and they're going to have their share of stinkers. It is unrealistic to expect otherwise. But they have to simplify their play and tighten up the defensive game, which clearly remains their Achiles heel.

Why aren't the Bruins capable of clearing the front of their net? Why do they have trouble breaking out of their own end? Why do they revert to soft play? Can they sustain a consistent, aggressive forecheck? Is shortening the bench and exhausting your best players any kind of long term solution?

I'm all for experimenting with lines to find the best fit. But it's January, and you almost never know who will play with who or for how long.

A week? A game? A few shifts? There is little line stability or chance for chemistry to develop because the players are never together long enough to find out what works best. It's stupid and contributes to some of the problems mentioned above and a very real sense of chaos around this team.

The whole enterprise is a confusing mess. At least to me.

That's on the coach.

It may be unfair but after last season's first round debacle, for which Montgomery was largely responsible, I am not inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario

He bitches about this, that and the other but appears to take little responsibility for basic issues that continue to plague his team.

Winning four straight in convincing fashion with a strong, relentless forecheck was heartening to see and there's no reason whatever why Boston can't play this way going forward. Yes, it requires a great deal of persistent effort but the Bruins are not talented enough, or deep enough, to win any other way.

They have to beat opponents to the puck on a consistent basis. Otherwise, you get what you had against the Penguins. Like any club, the Bruins are going to lose games, and they're going to have their share of stinkers. It is unrealistic to expect otherwise. But they have to simplify their play and tighten up the defensive game, which clearly remains their Achiles heel.

Why aren't the Bruins capable of clearing the front of their net? Why do they have trouble breaking out of their own end? Why do they revert to soft play? Can they sustain a consistent, aggressive forecheck? Is shortening the bench and exhausting your best players any kind of long term solution?

I'm all for experimenting with lines to find the best fit. But it's January, and you almost never know who will play with who or for how long.

A week? A game? A few shifts? There is little line stability or chance for chemistry to develop because the players are never together long enough to find out what works best. It's stupid and contributes to some of the problems mentioned above and a very real sense of chaos around this team.

That's on the coach.

It may be unfair but after last season's first round debacle, for which Montgomery was largely responsible, I am not inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Players have to execute. To much blame on monty when we lose snd zero credit when we win. Monty system is solid. Bruins have a what 70+% winning under monty. That tell me he is a very good coach. Did he eff up in playoffs. Yes. He admitted he made mistakes. He will learn from those Mistakes and be better. Its s long season. Games get away sometimes and yesterday was one.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Players have to execute. To much blame on monty when we lose snd zero credit when we win. Monty system is solid. Bruins have a what 70+% winning under monty. That tell me he is a very good coach. Did he eff up in playoffs. Yes. He admitted he made mistakes. He will learn from those Mistakes and be better. Its s long season. Games get away sometimes and yesterday was one.

Losing to the Pens that way didn't bother me, because it happens.

Last season's roster was loaded, and in part, this was reflected in the win/loss column. I realize Montgomery had a lot to do with the success, too.

I am not an X's and O's person. My understanding is that Montgomery is a very good coach and has won everywhere he's been. He transformed the Blues' offense.

But I'll believe it when I see it when it matters most -- the playoffs. Until then, and until they solve their issues, I will remain a skeptic.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Losing to the Pens that way didn't bother me, because it happens.

Last season's roster was loaded, and in part, this was reflected in the win/loss column. I realize Montgomery had a lot to do with the success, too.

I am not an X's and O's person. My understanding is that Montgomery is a very good coach and has won everywhere he's been. He transformed the Blues' offense.

But I'll believe it when I see it when it matters most -- the playoffs. Until then, and until they solve their issues, I will remain a skeptic.

Being skeptical is fine.

But when you want to bag skate the coach every time the team loses a game, ir seems a little hollow.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
His role last year was literally always starting in the DZone and he did great at it, saying he's terrible against top guys with the stats he has this year is a bit much for sure...
Could care less what he did last year, this year he is brutal

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Well then shut him down if he's injured. There's literally no need of him out there.
I agree but they don’t do that - look at last years playoffs for an example. Lindholm was wrecked, Linus was too. They still played.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Who would you put in for Lindholm? Linus yrs should of been sitting i agree

I don't know, but he was awful and clearly injured. Maybe 40% Lindholm was better than any other option. That said, the bigger point is that a lot of players don't get shut down when carrying injuries. I don't know why that is, but it happens a lot.

Reactions: lopey

nonoffensiveusername

May 23, 2009
Just one shift for the 4th line in the 3rd, 6:30 TOI for the game. Same for Lohrei, bad start left him largely benched in the second half, just 8:30 TOI. All meant the top guys bore a heavy load yet again - Lindholm 29 mins(!), McAvoy 26, Pasta 24, Zacha 22. These sorts of numbers are a frequent occurrence. I'm not comfortable with it. Monty is not trusting his depth and that is putting a lot of strain elsewhere. Potentially asking for trouble down the road.

I think Monty needs to be fired. I don't care about his record. His line juggling and his 3rd period benchings are inexcusable. He is mismanaging this team so badly and it's really going to screw up guys like Poitras and Merk and Lohrei and Beecher. The 4th line got benched, yet that line has your best faceoff man? When faceoffs are killing this team? Monty has to go. Done with him.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)

That's on the coach.

The bolded is completely true, as is some of the rest of what you said also true (except the Monty part imo). The problem is that it’s very difficult to play that way consistently over an 82-game schedule, especially when you don’t have the bodies, the physical bodies, to do so. The inability to clear the front of the net is, and has been a major cause of concern. And yes, the whole thing is a “confusing mess”.

Yet here we are at the top of the division and (almost) at the top of the league (and two days ago were at the top of the league). After a 4-game losing streak they rattled off four in a row in convincing fashion with said aggressive forecheck and then lost one game. None of it matters. The regular season doesn’t matter. What matters is the playoffs. Can they get to their forechecking game in the playoffs, and importantly, sustain it? Maybe, and maybe not. We will see. But that, and hot goaltending, can win you some series in the playoffs. But not being able to clear the front of the net can also cost you series too.

But we will see in the playoffs, not in January. And I know that many are down on Monty, esp after last year’s playoffs. But Linus being hurt cost them that, more than his coaching decisions (other than, of course, his decision to play Ullmark hurt in the first place. However, I’m still not convinced that was Monty’s call alone). Montgomery’s record in Boston is bonkers and speaks for itself, especially this year when he has precisely 2 top-6 forwards and zero top-6 centres.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Who's to say either of those moves help any.

And yet they came back from 3 goals down to tie the game without using a timeout or changing goalies.

Ah the what ifs. What if they can back and won the game because Ullmark was able to make a critical save that Swayman couldn’t seem to make. The goalie switch could have had a difference. But again that’s what ifs.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
I think Monty needs to be fired. I don't care about his record. His line juggling and his 3rd period benchings are inexcusable. He is mismanaging this team so badly and it's really going to screw up guys like Poitras and Merk and Lohrei and Beecher. The 4th line got benched, yet that line has your best faceoff man? When faceoffs are killing this team? Monty has to go. Done with him.
This is supposed to be a transition year yet we lead the league in points. Way better than 100% of posters here thought we would be. He has done a masterful job with a one line team. Msn tough crowd

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Ah the what ifs. What if they can back and won the game because Ullmark was able to make a critical save that Swayman couldn’t seem to make. The goalie switch could have had a difference. But again that’s what ifs.

Exactly.

You were criticising the coach on a couple of what ifs.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Exactly.

You were criticising the coach on a couple of what ifs.
Yes I am. If you couldn’t see Sway struggling with even basic shots then you weren’t paying attention. He was not swallowing any pucks up. He was letting rebounds out that he usually wouldn’t do. Fact Monty couldn’t see that I am criticizing.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yes I am. If you couldn’t see Sway struggling with even basic shots then you weren’t paying attention. He was not swallowing any pucks up. He was letting rebounds out that he usually wouldn’t do. Fact Monty couldn’t see that I am criticizing.

Who says he couldn't see it?

I'd imagine he just wanted to give Swayman a chance to play through it. And he did only allow two goals after the first period. Gave B's a chance to win.

It's not like it was a Game 7.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Who says he couldn't see it?

I'd imagine he just wanted to give Swayman a chance to play through it. And he did only allow two goals after the first period. Gave B's a chance to win.

It's not like it was a Game 7.
They lost. End of story

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad