GDT: Game 37: Hurricanes @ Blackhawks | 12/27/15 6 p.m. CT (WGN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014
Toews on pace for career lows. 11 goals through almost half a season. 7 5 on 5 goals.

And he's the highest paid player in the a NHL

That is the biggest issue on this team. If he and Hoss are perfo in they way they are being paid to, Hawks have at least 6 more points

I don't think Toews was paid all the money to stuff stat sheets in December. If his struggles resulted in the team being a cellar dweller or otherwise fighting for a wild card I might be more concerned. But since his team is in decent shape, I'm happy to give him the benefit of time to work through a hidden injury/create chemistry with TT/otherwise get over whatever slump he's in.

And that goes for Hossa too.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Dude, Vermette? Seriously?

And I remember it was around this time of year Hawks fans were screaming to trade Richards.

Vermette counts. He scored 2 game winning goals in the finals and 1 in the semis while going about 70% at the dot in the playoffs. We are trying to compare last years playoff group to what this group could potentially do in the playoffs. Vermette was huge. I can't see Garbutt/Rasmussen/Mashinter doing that in the playoffs. This roster as currently constructed is not near the talent level of last year. There need to be an upgrade with our newly found cap space, some of these young guys need to grow up fast, and the vets need to get it going. Hey, if its not our year I am good with it. Cup winning teams end up having to dump salary. This looks more like 2011.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
While we are certainly weaker in depth I am still of the opinion our bigger problem right now is the top 6. Many times teams struggle in bottom 6 production. Our top 6 right now is fooling nobody. Kane's line was awesome, now they are struggling big time just possessing the puck. The top line has struggled all year. We need improvement in the bottom 6 for sure but the pedestrian play of the top 6 is our biggest reason for the anemic offense.

Seems Q has not been mixing things up as much as he usually does, may need to break out the super blender for a few games.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I don't think Toews was paid all the money to stuff stat sheets in December. If his struggles resulted in the team being a cellar dweller or otherwise fighting for a wild card I might be more concerned. But since his team is in decent shape, I'm happy to give him the benefit of time to work through a hidden injury/create chemistry with TT/otherwise get over whatever slump he's in.

Now I got ya! A switch flipper.;)

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014
Vermette counts. He scored 2 game winning goals in the finals and 1 in the semis while going about 70% at the dot in the playoffs. We are trying to compare last years playoff group to what this group could potentially do in the playoffs. Vermette was huge. I can't see Garbutt/Rasmussen/Mashinter doing that in the playoffs. This roster as currently constructed is not near the talent level of last year. There need to be an upgrade with our newly found cap space, some of these young guys need to grow up fast, and the vets need to get it going. Hey, if its not our year I am good with it. Cup winning teams end up having to dump salary. This looks more like 2011.

Why are people comparing the highly-skilled Hawks who left to the bottom-six guys who were brought in just for salary reasons? Of all the intellectually dishonest paths used to justify ledge-jumping, that might be the most dishonest.

Anisimov was brought in to do what Vermette did. That's the answer and you know it. What's next: "We lost Sharp and all we have to show for it is Tanner Kero. Panar-who? Never heard of him..."

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI

A must have.....i'm sure Stan is shopping around.

By the way when is TDL?

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Seems Q has not been mixing things up as much as he usually does, may need to break out the super blender for a few games.

For what we have on the roster I haven't been too bad with the lines. Maybe switch Panarin and TT for a few games.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Why are people comparing the highly-skilled Hawks who left to the bottom-six guys who were brought in just for salary reasons? Of all the intellectually dishonest paths used to justify ledge-jumping, that might be the most dishonest.

Anisimov was brought in to do what Vermette did. That's the answer and you know it. What's next: "We lost Sharp and all we have to show for it is Tanner Kero. Panar-who? Never heard of him..."

Vermette was on the 3rd line. He was playing on the bottom 6.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
If you don't see how this team flips the switch come playoff time then you haven't been paying attention for at least three years. That's on you.

That was one of our playoff avatar themes, for Christ's sake!

This team has had a 40 percent turnover, why are you saying "this team flips the switch come playoff time". This isnt the same team, its way different. Are Scuderi/Garbutt/Rasmussen/Mashinter/Danault flip switchers?

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014
Vermette was on the 3rd line. He was playing on the bottom 6.

You guys stand too much on line placement, which is odd considering how much this coach juggles them. It's the hockey equivalent to a semantic argument.

The point is if Vermette was our most important center beside Toews last year then AA can fill that role. If you think Richards filled that roll then AA is still a suitable replacement. You have somebody who can fill that role. You just deliberately ignored him to make the roster turnover look more disastrous than it is.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
You guys stand too much on line placement, which is odd considering how much this coach juggles them. It's the hockey equivalent to a semantic argument.

The point is if Vermette was our most important center beside Toews last year then AA can fill that role. If you think Richards filled that roll then AA is still a suitable replacement. You have somebody who can fill that role. You just deliberately ignored him to make the roster turnover look more disastrous than it is.

But both Richards and Vermette are gone. Unless AA is playing both lines don't you need two guys to replace Vermette and Richards?

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014
This team has had a 40 percent turnover, why are you saying "this team flips the switch come playoff time". This isnt the same team, its way different. Are Scuderi/Garbutt/Rasmussen/Mashinter/Danault flip switchers?

:dunno: Nobody knows. That's the point of what people are telling you. You won't know until the playoffs and not a minute sooner.

I do know the veterans--the people you're going to rely on for a deep run--are switch flippers. They pretty much have to be. They've played over an additional regular season of hockey in the playoffs alone. If they were still skating out there putting in max effort and risking burnout then I'd be furious with them.

The guys you cited? They're bottom half depth players. So long as their version of the playoff switch is "Don't be awful and contribute where you can" then I'm happy with them.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
:dunno: Nobody knows. That's the point of what people are telling you.

What people? Its only you that is pushing the flip switch theory with this current group. I could buy it the last few years because we had a lot of the same team as the 2013 team. We replaced Bolland, Frolik, and Stalberg. Two fourth liners in 2013 playoffs and a guy Q benched. This year we had to replace a ton of veteran experienced talent. Unfortunately outside of Panarin and AA the rest of the replacements don't look like switch flippers. If you want to believe it then great. Enjoy.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I think there is some underselling of the bottom 6. All of our cup teams rolled 4 lines without a worry. Depth was/is important. The problem is the players mentioned are for the most part fringe NHL talent. Way different. Or newly promoted and learning as they go which is what we expected this year. Apples to oranges. I wonder if the switch flippers were in force during our first round exits.

As stated, these guys have played a ton of hockey and are perhaps a be worn out too. That is something that happened to the Kings last year too. It might be just one of those years where this is the level the Hawks have.

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014
What people? Its only you that is pushing the flip switch theory with this current group. I could buy it the last few years because we had a lot of the same team as the 2013 team. We replaced Bolland, Frolik, and Stalberg. Two fourth liners in 2013 playoffs and a guy Q benched. This year we had to replace a ton of veteran experienced talent. Unfortunately outside of Panarin and AA the rest of the replacements don't look like switch flippers. If you want to believe it then great. Enjoy.

People telling you to be patient. People stating the obvious that you don't know what this team will do in the playoffs until the playoffs.

I'm sorry this team doesn't "look like switch flippers" to you right now. I'm sure if you had informed them that they only had 37 games to prove their playoff readiness before getting cast off into the wilderness of bums and also-rans they surely would have bled to get that extra OT point against Calgary. Now they have to play out the rest of this season--nay, the rest of their years wearing the Indian Head--knowing that what they are on this day, December 27, 2015, is what they are destined to be...forever.

Cyber

Dec 31, 2014

I'm a huge Cap'n Serious fanboy. JT is one of my favorite hockey players ever.

That being said - he had the game on his stick today. He's GOTTA bury at least one of those and put the Canes on their heels.

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014
I'm a huge Cap'n Serious fanboy. JT is one of my favorite hockey players ever.

That being said - he had the game on his stick today. He's GOTTA bury at least one of those and put the Canes on their heels.

I know. I agree with you. But he didn't. Aw shucks, right? On to game 38 Tuesday.

Geoist

May 1, 2015
Hawks don't win the Cup last year without Vermette. 3 GWG in playoffs and a monster at the dot and a scoring threat with a Sharp and Ona the third line. A third line that is doing nothing this season

With all the ****-talk about Vermette last year, its safe to say no one expected him to play a significant role in the 2015 playoffs. This team was not exactly running away with the President's Trophy last regular season if you recall. Could Garbutt or Rasmussen end up playing a big role (perhaps more so than Vermette?) Sure, why not? Point is, people are ******** their pants when there is no reason to. Every year its the same crap: "This is not the same team!" "Oh, we lost Buff, we're screwed!" "Oh, we're stuck with Crawford, we're screwed!"

As I said before, we're 3rd in a competitive division. God, we're spoiled.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyber

Dec 31, 2014
I know. I agree with you. But he didn't. Aw shucks, right? On to game 38 Tuesday.

That doesn't help game 37. You think Ovechkin or Benn misses all of those chances? Not in a million years.

There's nothing wrong with letting out a little frustration when a 10 mil a year player misses four or five pucks a good HS player can bury in a 2-1 loss.

But hockey is an emotional game as a fan. The sun will come up tomorrow, I'm quite sure, and everything will be ok again.

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014
That doesn't help game 37. You think Ovechkin or Benn misses all of those chances? Not in a million years.

There's nothing wrong with letting out a little frustration when a 10 mil a year player misses four or five pucks a good HS player can bury in a 2-1 loss.

But hockey is an emotional game as a fan. The sun will come up tomorrow, I'm quite sure, and everything will be ok again.

I don't think Toews was ever meant to be an Ovechkin or Benn type player. Some say he could've been a time ago, but perhaps at the expense of developing an overall game that makes his teammates better. Point is I still wouldn't take any other player that what Toews actually is--and I'm sure you agree with that. I won't begrudge a dime or that contract until he starts missing those chances in game 5's, 6's or 7's.

I get that hockey is an emotional game with emotional fans (lord, do I know...). I just figured that Blackhawks fans of all people would know when the appropriate time is to be emotional. Unless you personally harbor an extraordinary amount of hatred for the Carolina Hurricanes or their fans, I don't see how this loss rates above "extra five minutes in morning traffic" in the anger meter.

Nov 9, 2014
People telling you to be patient. People stating the obvious that you don't know what this team will do in the playoffs until the playoffs.

I'm sorry this team doesn't "look like switch flippers" to you right now. I'm sure if you had informed them that they only had 37 games to prove their playoff readiness before getting cast off into the wilderness of bums and also-rans they surely would have bled to get that extra OT point against Calgary. Now they have to play out the rest of this season--nay, the rest of their years wearing the Indian Head--knowing that what they are on this day, December 27, 2015, is what they are destined to be...forever.

It has nothing to do with a lack of patience. It's a simple comparison of the talent on last year's roster and this year's roster. To repeat what I said earlier, we replaced Saad, Sharp, Vermette, Richards and Versteeg (four top 6 guys and a third liner who could occasionally play on the 2nd line) with two top 6 guys (Panarin/AA), a third/fourth liner (Garbutt) and two guys that are borderline NHL players right now (Rasmussen/Dano). That's a HUGE drop off in offensive talent.

I realize that the core of the team remains largely in tact. And yes, like you, I do have faith that those core guys can "flip the switch" in the playoffs. But those guys need supporting guys around them. And it seems that whenever someone points out the downgrade in talent (and its likely implications for the playoffs), most around here either attempt to diminish the contributions of the guys we lost or cite to last year's results (which involved a completely different team).

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014
It has nothing to do with a lack of patience. It's a simple comparison of the talent on last year's roster and this year's roster. To repeat what I said earlier, we replaced Saad, Sharp, Vermette, Richards and Versteeg (four top 6 guys and a third liner who could occasionally play on the 2nd line) with two top 6 guys (Panarin/AA), a third/fourth liner (Garbutt) and two guys that are borderline NHL players right now (Rasmussen/Dano). That's a HUGE drop off in offensive talent.

I realize that the core of the team remains largely in tact. And yes, like you, I do have faith that those core guys can "flip the switch" in the playoffs. But those guys need supporting guys around them. And it seems that whenever someone points out the downgrade in talent (and its likely implications for the playoffs), most around here either attempt to diminish the contributions of the guys we lost or cite to last year's results (which involved a completely different team).

I think the reason people like me argue against the severity in the downgrade in talent is because guys who seek to make the situation seem dire "forget" last year's regular season.

With the exception of maybe Saad, each one of the guys you mentioned from last year's team took a great deal of criticism. It's easy to call Versteeg a third liner who could occasionally play on the second line now. Around this time last year, people wanted him off the team. They wondered if he'd ever be the same after his wrist injury. He was dangled as trade bait.

How many angry GDT's took place last year waiting on Vermette to be worth the loss of a first round pick and The Legend of Klas Dahlbeck? We traded our future for that passenger! Why couldn't he be like the Vermette we saw in Phoenix? We should've been sellers...

Richards couldn't keep up. He was an anchor on Kane's line, holding him back. Kane would never want to stay in Chicago since they keep saddling him with garbage like Richards.

Sharp...not only did Sharp get criticism in the regular season, he had the slump to kind of justify it.

I'll do you one better: Johnny Oduya was a notorious turnover-prone scapegoat until he gutted out a huge performance on a depleted core group. Hammer had to kill himself nightly to shelter that liability.

Ledge-jumpers don't want to remember the crap they gave those guys. Now they just want to look at their playoff performances when they--you guessed it--flipped the switch. And they're absolutely baffled when people point out their nonsense with the new crop of players they decided to make post-loss whipping boys.

Different team, definitely. Same high-maintenance logically-bankrupt overreaction from a fanbase too consumed by their hunger for misery to remember past discussions: guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad