GDT: Game 37: Hurricanes @ Blackhawks | 12/27/15 6 p.m. CT (WGN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoist

May 1, 2015
TVR isn't better than Oduya.

Halfway through his second season he is already about to surpass Oduya's entire second season in blocked shots (with similar ATOI). I'd still take a seasoned Oduya for the short-run, but I would take a young TVR for the long run.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Ummm it was not the first rodeo for Sharp or Oduya was it? Sharp 2 prior Cups and JO with 1.

How many have those replacements raised?

And you expect (more likely hope) some of them will raise to occasion when it arrives?

Let's tally up what left: Richards (Conn Smythe and 2 Cups) Saad 2 Cups, Sharp 3 Cups, Oduya 2 Cups, Versteeg 2 Cups.

Think that grows on trees?

They do not grow on trees. But winning causes us to have to jettison salary. It is a catch 22. You rarely get a cup winning core player in their prime in FA for cheap. How could a person think we are replacing that experience with more experience with the cap hell we were in? We all knew there would be growing pains for a year or two as these new players are going to have to learn how to win as well.

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014
Ummm it was not the first rodeo for Sharp or Oduya was it? Sharp 2 prior Cups and JO with 1.

And you expect (more likely hope) some of them will raise to occasion when it arrives?

Let's tally up what left: Richards (Conn Smythe and 2 Cups) Saad 2 Cups, Sharp 3 Cups, Oduya 2 Cups, Versteeg 2 Cups.

How many Cups did you expect the replacements to have won by January?

The point is this: you get your best performances from players during the playoffs. Not a minute before then. That's true for future HoF'ers, that's true for rookies, that's true for bums who are just filling out a roster. That's true across all sports and that will be true until the end of time.

You know as much since you specifically called out players' performances in the playoffs to prove their replacements aren't adequate in the regular season. And you thought no one would notice that rhetorical sleight of hand?

No one knows how TVR, Panarin, AA, Garbutt, etc. will perform when it matters most yet because they haven't gotten to the point where it matters most yet. Crying about losses to Carolina isn't going to make late April come any faster. Neither will pining for the Hawks of yesteryear. The only thing that's going to cure what ails you is patience. Find some.

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014
Lmao so now we have someone saying TVR doesn't belong in the NHL. This place is unbearable sometimes.

Don't forget we've also reached the "Toews is stealing money" portion of the season. Three Cups and video game culture have killed reason around here.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
They do not grow on trees. But winning causes us to have to jettison salary. It is a catch 22. You rarely get a cup winning core player in their prime in FA for cheap. How could a person think we are replacing that experience with more experience with the cap hell we were in? We all knew there would be growing pains for a year or two as these new players are going to have to learn how to win as well.

Of course I knew it, others think all holes have been filled. Not really IMO.

Do you think Garbutt replaced Sharp or Scuderi replaced Oduya? Who replaced Versteeg? Vermette, Saad and Richards?

Desi caught a little lightning in a bottle in the playoffs, not so much right now. That we can't dress a youngster to do what he does is disappointing, same with Bickell or Garbutt.

Geoist

May 1, 2015

Most of those Cups were won with Toews, Kane, Keith, and Seabrook leading the way.

And lamenting the 'loss' of Versteeg? :shakehead

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
^Expecting people to be patient around here is like trying to pull teeth

I can be patient but I do wish they played more exciting hockey. There have probably been close to a dozen games this year that have been straight up snoozefests. A few times on the Sunday night games I've flipped over to the football game during a commercial and forget to flip back over.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
How many Cups did you expect the replacements to have won by January?

The point is this: you get your best performances from players during the playoffs. Not a minute before then. That's true for future HoF'ers, that's true for rookies, that's true for bums who are just filling out a roster. That's true across all sports and that will be true until the end of time.

You know as much since you specifically called out players' performances in the playoffs to prove their replacements aren't adequate in the regular season. And you thought no one would notice that rhetorical sleight of hand?

No one knows how TVR, Panarin, AA, Garbutt, etc. will perform when it matters most yet because they haven't gotten to the point where it matters most yet. Crying about losses to Carolina isn't going to make late April come any faster. Neither will pining for the Hawks of yesteryear. The only thing that's going to cure what ails you is patience. Find some.

Absolutely BS!

It is the case for winners and good players. The losers and bad players find the lights a bit too bright and get a tight sphincter.

We will find out about them when the time comes but to assume success is folly.

Geoist

May 1, 2015
Do you think Garbutt replaced Sharp or Scuderi replaced Oduya? Who replaced Versteeg? Vermette, Saad and Richards?

Dude, Vermette? Seriously?

And I remember it was around this time of year Hawks fans were screaming to trade Richards.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Don't forget we've also reached the "Toews is stealing money" portion of the season. Three Cups and video game culture have killed reason around here.

Were you one of the Johny always starts slow and will heat it up in November...December...January guys too?

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014

lmao. Wow. I'm actually kind of glad I popped in to this thread again. Really this is your argument? Cause we wouldn't have won the cup last year without Versteeg's whopping two playoff points, right? He was so great he spent a whole series in the pressbox! The cup argument is so stupid. Like seriously. And your gonna bring up that we lost a Conn Smythe winner? Come on man. You really think the guy who was at a PPG when he won his Conn Smythe (regular + playoffs) was the same player that put up 51 points in almost 100 games while playing next to the leauges premier offensive player in Patrick Kane? He was a passenger on a great team (and I really liked Richards). But lets discount a guy that we brought in who was the best player on a team that won a championship in the best leauge not named the NHL at the age of 23. Come on man...

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Seems the Hawks have started their annual January slump a few weeks early.

6 - 4 - 0 last 10 games, overall 20 - 13 - 4........last season after 37 games, 25 - 10 - 2. I don't think that's too bad considering the moves made.

Plenty of time to right the ship and get it sailing come po time. Edit: The stinker has been our road record.

Last edited:

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014
Absolutely BS!

It is the case for winners and good players. The losers and bad players find the lights a bit too bright and get a tight sphincter.

We will find out about them when the time comes but to assume success is folly.

Even the losers and bad players can find another notch above what they do in the RS, more often than not. It probably still falls short of what winners and good players are capable of, but I believe most players have a "playoff mode."

Regardless, since you just admitted that we can only find out about the replacements when the time comes can you promise us that we'll have no more of...this until the time actually comes?

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
lmao. Wow. I'm actually kind of glad I popped in to this thread again. Really this is your argument? Cause we wouldn't have won the cup last year without Versteeg's whopping two playoff points, right? He was so great he spent a whole series in the pressbox! The cup argument is so stupid. Like seriously. And your gonna bring up that we lost a Conn Smythe winner? Come on man. You really think the guy who was at a PPG when he won his Conn Smythe (regular + playoffs) was the same player that put up 51 points in almost 100 games while playing next to the leauges premier offensive player in Patrick Kane? He was a passenger on a great team (and I really liked Richards). But lets discount a guy that we brought in who was the best player on a team that won a championship in the best leauge not named the NHL at the age of 23. Come on man...

I didn't discount anyone, but a lot of people are discounting the named players contributions.

btw AA is scoring at about the same pace with Kane being the hottest he's ever been.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
While we are certainly weaker in depth I am still of the opinion our bigger problem right now is the top 6. Many times teams struggle in bottom 6 production. Our top 6 right now is fooling nobody. Kane's line was awesome, now they are struggling big time just possessing the puck. The top line has struggled all year. We need improvement in the bottom 6 for sure but the pedestrian play of the top 6 is our biggest reason for the anemic offense.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Watched the whole game until the timeout at the end (so of course I'd miss the one goal the Hawks could conjure up in their last two games).

Say what you will about Daley, but we were better off with him. Sticking Rozsival and Scuderi with the second line (a Q move to give them easy minutes) has hurt that lines production.

Both defensemen like to stay home. They wont jump into the play like Daley. And Bowman is dragging his feet to send up Gustafsson, a guy on that bottom pair that can jump into the play and give guys like Kane and Panarin more room to roam.

These two losses are as much on the front office as it is on the players themselves. Just be happy it's an easy fix.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015

Toews on pace for career lows. 11 goals through almost half a season. 7 5 on 5 goals.

And he's the highest paid player in the a NHL

That is the biggest issue on this team. If he and Hoss are perfo in they way they are being paid to, Hawks have at least 6 more points

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Dude, Vermette? Seriously?

And I remember it was around this time of year Hawks fans were screaming to trade Richards.

Hawks don't win the Cup last year without Vermette. 3 GWG in playoffs and a monster at the dot and a scoring threat with a Sharp and Ona the third line. A third line that is doing nothing this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad