GDT: Game 37: Columbus at Tampa Bay | 12/26 7PM EST

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Look at the similarities between the Blue Jackets and the Atlanta Thrashers. The Thrashers from day one were screwed because of the mismanagement of the owners which were at the time were Atlanta Spirit Inc. Year after year the Thrashers sucked which caused them to have lower attendance.
The Florida Panthers were also dealing with the same issue. Not long ago they changed owners and this year are making a huge run for the top spot in the Eastern Conference

Aspie, I think you are off base here. Owners are only detrimental when they meddle (which they kind of did/do with Priest) or when they won't spend money. I think the first issue has been either eliminated or at least minimized and the second is not an issue.

I think Torts will be good for this team, at least in the short term.

To me the biggest problem has been GM. From DM to SH to JK. They all have pretty much sucked for various reasons imo. 2 brief playoff appearances in 15 years should be enough for the supporters to save their breath and tell me how great SH or JK have been. DM I think we all agree on.

Fireball23

Mar 5, 2014
does it really matter?
From what I saw from my view of the ice Hartnell did indeed intentionally targeted Bishop. I didn't see it on TV yet but even a couple other Blue Jackets fan standing next to me thought the same thing. I was actually rooting with the Bolts fans in throwing him out of the game.
I got a feeling that we won't be seeing Hartnell on the ice for a while. You don't blatantly target a goalie in the NHL and expect a minor punishment in the NHL. If that happens he deserves it in my opinion.

I agree we sucked long before John Tortorella but I guarantee you he is NOT going to make things any better. I could be wrong on that of course.

Regarding JD and Jarmo you don't want to know what I really think of those two. What I wrote about Davidson last post I was being nice compared what I really think.
Watch the replay on this .. Bishop should get an Oscar for the selling of himself to the refs and getting hit that "hard". He should have been penalized for flopping or diving. Hartnell was coasting and not even striding into Bishop

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Aspie, I think you are off base here. Owners are only detrimental when they meddle (which they kind of did/do with Priest) or when they won't spend money. I think the first issue has been either eliminated or at least minimized and the second is not an issue.

I think Torts will be good for this team, at least in the short term.

To me the biggest problem has been GM. From DM to SH to JK. They all have pretty much sucked for various reasons imo. 2 brief playoff appearances in 15 years should be enough for the supporters to save their breath and tell me how great SH or JK have been. DM I think we all agree on.

While I partially agree with you, ownership of any team is the one who hires GMs. Bad teams stay bad while going through regular front office purges. Good ownership does everything you mentioned in terms of support and they make good hires.

Just look at Toronto and Detroit as prime examples.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I'm not 100% sure how we managed to eliminate the cohesiveness of the past few Jackets teams in three months, but we seem to have managed it.

Please remember this the next time we have leadership discussions.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
The fact the team commited penalty after penalty including one where Harnell intentionally tried to injured Lightning's goalie Ben Bishop in the 2nd period which got him a game misconduct.

It's highly entertaining that anyone would call that an "intent" to injure. I've seen harder impacts with the junior Jackets. Penalty? Sure. Misconduct? Laughable.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm not 100% sure how we managed to eliminate the cohesiveness of the past few Jackets teams in three months, but we seem to have managed it.

Please remember this the next time we have leadership discussions.

Not sure what you mean here? Are you implying that whatever happened over the summer pissed off all the vets who finished 15-1-1 and were so upset by that they started 0-8 as a protest over management? Or is it merely a reminder that a fish rots from its head?

Edit: Light just went on-are you referring to naming Foligno captain? Could be.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad