GDT: Game 37: Columbus at Colorado | 1/4 8PM EST

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
i don't think that's right Sam...I remember there's something about sliding his contract based on age...

"
8.10 Age of Players. As used in this Article, "age 18" means a Player reaching his eighteenth birthday between January 1 next preceding the Entry Draft and September 15 next following the Entry Draft, both dates included; "age 19" means a Player reaching his nineteenth birthday by no later than September 15 in the calendar year of the Entry Draft; "age 20" means a Player reaching his twentieth birthday by no later than December 31 in the calendar year of the Entry Draft; "age 21" means a Player reaching his twenty-first birthday by December 31 in the calendar year of the Entry Draft; and "age 22" means a Player reaching his twenty-second birthday by December 31 in the calendar year of the Entry Draft."

So since he's a late 94 birthday, he's considered 20.

Dillon Heatherington, for example, is an early 95, so he had two years of a potential slide.

Edit: Here's an example

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...eek.com/player/3362+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Jake McCabe was a 2012 pick who played 7 games for Buffalo last season. He played less than 9 games; however, since he was a late 93 birthdate, it was considered his 20 year old season, so his contract did not slide and it counted as a year off his contract.

Last edited:

Nicky1992

Jun 29, 2014
"
8.10 Age of Players. As used in this Article, "age 18" means a Player reaching his eighteenth birthday between January 1 next preceding the Entry Draft and September 15 next following the Entry Draft, both dates included; "age 19" means a Player reaching his nineteenth birthday by no later than September 15 in the calendar year of the Entry Draft; "age 20" means a Player reaching his twentieth birthday by no later than December 31 in the calendar year of the Entry Draft; "age 21" means a Player reaching his twenty-first birthday by December 31 in the calendar year of the Entry Draft; and "age 22" means a Player reaching his twenty-second birthday by December 31 in the calendar year of the Entry Draft."

So since he's a late 94 birthday, he's considered 20.

Dillon Heatherington, for example, is an early 95, so he had two years of a potential slide.

Edit: Here's an example

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...eek.com/player/3362+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Jake McCabe was a 2012 pick who played 7 games for Buffalo last season. He played less than 9 games; however, since he was a late 93 birthdate, it was considered his 20 year old season, so his contract did not slide and it counted as a year off his contract.

Not trying to be argumentative, this is confusing me too, but I thought it was different with McCabe because he was signed as an NCAA player, not a junior player. They chose to bring him in right away burning the contract year instead of letting it slide by sending him straight to the AHL as that was the only way they could entice him to sign. Could be wrong though that's just how I understood it.

And since Rychel didn't turn 20 until the year following his draft year,not the year of the Entry Draft, doesn't that make him either an 18or 19 year old draftee? If he has turned 20 in 2013 instead of 2014, wouldn't then he have been considered a year 20 player?

jacketsinDC

Mar 8, 2011
Seattle
why would they waste years on these guys' contract years for 5-10 games? I don't get it.

edit: they could have used collins or someone like that, not a big difference...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
How many times have we won in Colorado in our franchise history? Less than 10? We never win here, the only one I can remember was the RJ Umberger buzzer beater and Foligno OT goal against Giggy 2 years ago.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
This from capgeek back when this was discussed before:

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-does-...contract-slide

Apparently it depends on your age when you sign your contract. Rychel was 18 so he is eligible to have his contract slide 2 x's. Once last season while he was in juniors and once this season as long as he doesn't play 10 games.

Interesting point is he is considered 19 for calculating waiver status.

His contract will slide if he doesn't play 9 NHL games.

The quote was my post based on capgeek's explanation and I believe an indication on their site that he had entry level slide risk- meaning if he plays 9 or more he loses a year.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Not trying to be argumentative, this is confusing me too, but I thought it was different with McCabe because he was signed as an NCAA player, not a junior player. They chose to bring him in right away burning the contract year instead of letting it slide by sending him straight to the AHL as that was the only way they could entice him to sign. Could be wrong though that's just how I understood it.

And since Rychel didn't turn 20 until the year following his draft year,not the year of the Entry Draft, doesn't that make him either an 18or 19 year old draftee? If he has turned 20 in 2013 instead of 2014, wouldn't then he have been considered a year 20 player?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...eek.com/player/2276+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Nathan Beaulieu is another example. Drafted in 2011, late 92, played 6 NHL games in 2012-13, but still counted as a year off his contract.

Edit: And EspenK, date the contract was signed has nothing to do with the slide. That has to do with Waivers.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
This from capgeek back when this was discussed before:

http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-does-...contract-slide

His contract will slide if he doesn't play 9 NHL games.

The quote was my post based on capgeek's explanation and I believe an indication on their site that he had entry level slide risk- meaning if he plays 9 or more he loses a year.

It's almost rocket science :laugh:. Well he may slide and he may not.

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
After suffering thru the Bengals earlier, I really didn't need this start from the Jackets.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If that was Wis bus would have sprinted to his computer with his latest trade offer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad