GDT: Game 37 - CBJ at NYI - 23 Dec, 7pm

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Blue Jackets Add Gabriel Carlsson on Emergency Recall | Cleveland Monsters

Carlsson was up on emergency recall. Once the team gets back to 6 healthy Dmen, he becomes ineligible to play and must return to Cleveland. Either Torts doesn't know the rules around emergency recalls or he's fudging it a bit there.
I tweeted Svoboda this morning that exact question before my original post and he didn't believe he had to be sent down immediately. I think the rules are fuzzy there. I've not seen him sent back yet so maybe there is a loophole that allows him to stay. I swear I've wondered this same thing in the past with emergency recalls and never figured it out.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I mean, we all know the rules. The players know the rules. This wasn't a "coach's decision." Once Savard is healthy, the situation no longer necessitates the emergency recall.

A simple, "Savard is healthy, so he's in and Carlsson is going back to Cleveland. We really were impressed with Gabe's minutes while he was up with us, he really did X,Y, Z well and it's great to know if we need to call on him again this season that he'll be ready for the job" (if that's how Torts feels) would have sufficed.

If it's more that he likes Carlsson over Harrington, but can't keep him up because of the roster freeze, then it seems like a shot at Jarmo for re-signing the organization's *11th best Dman* to a 3-year, 1-way contract whom Jarmo won't waive.

And BTW, Carlsson isn't waiver eligible and there is a roster spot free so they could convert it to a regular recall if they choose to pretty easily. There appears to be a bigger loophole for waiver eligible players with a different game count used for when waivers would kick in. None of the guys CBJ have up right now require waivers except Gerbe and maybe MacInnes so it is essentially a technically for the other guys.

Understanding Emergency Recall vs Regular Recall

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Gerbe should’ve been covering for Gavrikov who was battling near the boards instead he went there as well and it caused a 2v1

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Savard did his duty but the other skaters were watching. Plenty of opportunity to cover that man

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
We are getting overwhelmed right now.....also losing too many battles along the boards.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Torts is probably gonna bench Gerbe for a while but can't really blame him that much that's just the way he play. he was never a defensive force and never will for sure.

Still there was worst 10 first min earlier this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad