GDT: Game 37 - CBJ at NYI - 23 Dec, 7pm

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
This win streak has been incredibly impressive and Korpi has been amazing. But we have to admit the back-up goalie situation is a 10,000 lb. pink elephant in the room.

I heard some analytics guys the other day saying that a team needs at least 20-30 pts. out of their back up to be successful in the season and playoffs. Elvis has 3 points in 9 games. He's the "backup", but barring back to back games, he literally isn't even an option right now. I am not sure how sustainable this is...

Korpi can ride out December in all probability, but we have 6 games in 10 nights to start 2020, including a road trip to Boston and a 4-game West Coast swing. Playing Elvis is almost like a forfeit at this point, but if he doesn't play he won't improve. Something has to give at some point.
He can't get points if he isn't allowed to play.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Great win. Good streak. Really liking our future chances if we can get a nice pick in the draft and get a nice offensive piece to go along with that in the offseason.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Korpi continues to dominate , and Bob is back to being a massive waste of 10mil per, giving up another 6 tonight
I didn't think anything about it when Bob struggled early. We all know what kind of goalie he can be, but you have to wonder if the undershorts of the Panthers brass are getting a little tight with each bad outing. His numbers for the year won't be very good even if he turns his play around, but I'm not quite ready to declare Bob a bust yet

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Korpi continues to dominate , and Bob is back to being a massive waste of 10mil per, giving up another 6 tonight

Yeah but how was Torts' performance? It's been almost a full week since you've been able to call for his name. You alright?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
A good win for your team. I'd hoped the isles could take advantage of the Blue Jacket injuries. As well.

Reactions: thebus88

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
This win streak has been incredibly impressive and Korpi has been amazing. But we have to admit the back-up goalie situation is a 10,000 lb. pink elephant in the room.

I heard some analytics guys the other day saying that a team needs at least 20-30 pts. out of their back up to be successful in the season and playoffs. Elvis has 3 points in 9 games. He's the "backup", but barring back to back games, he literally isn't even an option right now. I am not sure how sustainable this is...

Korpi can ride out December in all probability, but we have 6 games in 10 nights to start 2020, including a road trip to Boston and a 4-game West Coast swing. Playing Elvis is almost like a forfeit at this point, but if he doesn't play he won't improve. Something has to give at some point.

Agree with all this, though Korpi has started 8 straight and just played 7 games in 12 days. This kind of usage is harmful in the long run, imo.

No excuse for Jarmo not to send him to Cleveland to get games - a strategy they used twice in November and then just stopped doing. Complete and utter mismanagement on his part of the backup goalie situation.

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I didn't think anything about it when Bob struggled early. We all know what kind of goalie he can be, but you have to wonder if the undershorts of the Panthers brass are getting a little tight with each bad outing. His numbers for the year won't be very good even if he turns his play around, but I'm not quite ready to declare Bob a bust yet

The Panthers D is atrocious. Think Bob would want to be behind this defense? CBJ 1920 5v5 Shot Locations (Against)

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I agree that Jarmo’s usage of Elvis is another example of his poor asset management. But how about if for 24 hours we celebrate this team’s recent incredible play.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad