GDT: Game 37 - CBJ at NYI - 23 Dec, 7pm

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
From the Metro's most miserable team to one of the best. (No, really, the Islanders are doing that good. I know, right? It surprises me too.)

Projected lineup per bluejackets.com:
Projected Lineup
(Subject to change)

Alexandre Texier - Pierre-Luc Dubois - Eric Robinson
Gustav Nyquist - Boone Jenner - Jakob Lilja
Nick Foligno - Alexander Wennberg - Kevin Stenlund
Nathan Gerbe - Riley Nash - Ryan MacInnis

Zach Werenski - Seth Jones
Vladislav Gavrikov - David Savard
Scott Harrington - Dean Kukan

Joonas Korpisalo
Elvis Merzlikins

Scratches: Sonny Milano (injury), Cam Atkinson (injury), Gabriel Carlsson

Roster Report: Savard has missed the past two games with illness but made the trip to Long Island. Gerbe could go into the lineup with Oliver Bjorkstrand's injury suffered Saturday night vs. New Jersey, though Milano traveled with the team as well and could return.

islanders.nhl.com has a preview article up, mostly noting how they've beaten us twice already (harrumph).

Scoresheet links (they'll work later tonight):
Game Summary - overall team info
Event Summary - player-specific info

Highlights of the Islanders' last game:

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
CBJ haven't played well on the road against the Isles in the last few years.....hopefully they can win a low-scoring affair.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
The Bjorkstrand injury probably hurts the most. He had put up 8-9-17 in his last 17 games. He was starting to develop into a 1A guy, whereas he had been thriving as a "secondary scorer" behind Panarin and Cam. Also puts the team out ALL of its starting RWs from Opening Night. Unbelievable. At least Milano and Savard have traveled to New York.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Carlsson is out, Savard goes back in - I believe Gabe is on "emergency recall" and now must go back to Cleveland.

Milano remains out, meaning Gerbe draws in.

Let's get through tonight with no more injuries, please.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Carlsson is out, Savard goes back in - I believe Gabe is on "emergency recall" and now must go back to Cleveland.

Milano remains out, meaning Gerbe draws in.

Let's get through tonight with no more injuries, please.

Not sure on the specifics but I saw a tweet from one of the writers that Torts commented it was a very hard decision on who to take out of the lineup. I like that he likes what he is seeing from Carlsson so far.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Not sure on the specifics but I saw a tweet from one of the writers that Torts commented it was a very hard decision on who to take out of the lineup. I like that he likes what he is seeing from Carlsson so far.

Blue Jackets Add Gabriel Carlsson on Emergency Recall | Cleveland Monsters

Carlsson was up on emergency recall. Once the team gets back to 6 healthy Dmen, he becomes ineligible to play and must return to Cleveland. Either Torts doesn't know the rules around emergency recalls or he's fudging it a bit there.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If that lineup beats the Isles in NY I'll campaign for Torts for COY. Korpi may have to pitch a shutout.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Korpi is playing like a number one goalie. This game would be a wonderful progression in his development and our psyche if he can steal a win tonight

Reactions: thebus88

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Can't believe Bjorkstrand is out 4-6 weeks...And all because of a cheap crosscheck away from play.

Last edited:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Blue Jackets Add Gabriel Carlsson on Emergency Recall | Cleveland Monsters

Carlsson was up on emergency recall. Once the team gets back to 6 healthy Dmen, he becomes ineligible to play and must return to Cleveland. Either Torts doesn't know the rules around emergency recalls or he's fudging it a bit there.

Not really directed towards you, but, what do people expect Jarmo and Torts to say about the players in the organization?

Sometimes they'll try to light a spark, but, very rarely are they negative in any way.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
We're winning some games, good for us. This is a nice test.

We're finally starting to get some people scoring. We've got some good players out, let's see how we respond. Our team really has never liked to do things they easy way, so this should be right up their alley.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Not really directed towards you, but, what do people expect Jarmo and Torts to say about the players in the organization?

Sometimes they'll try to light a spark, but, very rarely are they negative in any way.

I mean, we all know the rules. The players know the rules. This wasn't a "coach's decision." Once Savard is healthy, the situation no longer necessitates the emergency recall.

A simple, "Savard is healthy, so he's in and Carlsson is going back to Cleveland. We really were impressed with Gabe's minutes while he was up with us, he really did X,Y, Z well and it's great to know if we need to call on him again this season that he'll be ready for the job" (if that's how Torts feels) would have sufficed.

If it's more that he likes Carlsson over Harrington, but can't keep him up because of the roster freeze, then it seems like a shot at Jarmo for re-signing the organization's *11th best Dman* to a 3-year, 1-way contract whom Jarmo won't waive.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
at least it mean some good ice time for lilja ? like sten last game I hope he manage to at least be ok with that ice time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad