Post-Game Talk: Game 37 - Bruins lose for 8th time in 9 games - Panic Fever Grips Hub - BTW Washington next

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
You can keep on in your little dream world and believe what you want, I hope they don't have to face the Caps, Blues, Islanders, Lightning in the playoffs.

Last year they had lots of help to make it to the final and still didn't finish the job.

They do need to improve if they want to be a true contender. 2nd. line rw has been an ongoing topic for years. They could sure use some size so they do not get manhandled by the Caps and Blues.

Paper covers rock
Scissors cut paper
Rock smashes scissors

In a perfect tournament spock slides right through and wins

But heaven help him if alligator gets to paper before rock was taken out of the bracket

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Can you waive these two to someone else's farm team so they don't take a spot in Providence because I don't see either of these guys taking a spot unless the coach is forced to play the by B's MGMT!
Coach works for Bs management. He plays whomever Fergy tells him to play. You can only assign a player to another team's farm team if #1 he agrees and #2 the other organization agrees to accept him. Must be some CBA rules on this as well.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
disappointed to read/watch the highlights and comments this morning. Definitely not the best stretch for this team. Not sure though why so many here are so surprised, even when the boys were winning games (yes, this team did that this year at some point), for about 3 weeks prior to this, they were winning almost solely on the back of the PP and having to come from behind virtually every game and win by simply winning the 3rd period.

Now that play caught up to them. I have enough faith in the boys they`ll turn it around, I`m actually having a bit more time struggling to be on Butch`s side with his personnel decisions but we`ll see what happens

I try to look at what might they be doing that is good during this stretch and while there isn`t a ton to lean on, at the very least, they have found a way to snag the loser point for whatever that`s worth.

Reactions: Drunkenfish

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
If the league ever did that I might be done with it.
Regular season overtime and the shootout is a gimmick to entertain fringe fans. Damn I'm old time; I'm satisfied with the regular season game ending in a tie. It should be called a gimmick point for the winner instead of what people call the loser point for the loser when the true game actually ended in a tie.
In the last 9 games the Bruins have only actually been out played twice, they've been in almost every game with a chance to win. Considering their schedule of playing almost every other night that's not to bad.
I just pray they are healthy come playoff time.
Yep.

The gimmick point hockey serves two main purposes. One is just that. Goofy Gimmicks for fringe fans and little kids.

Two......in the standings it makes weak clubs appear better than they are .

What the NHL has done is award these two games equally ......Boston hammer out a taxing hard fought 4-2 win over the red hot Capitals in 60 minutes. Physical , play off type heavy weight game.

Meanwhile the Habs win a 2-1 game over the Sens , 65 minutes plus 9 shoot out attempts each in a non hitting yawner.

The standings show :

W ..... Bruins 2 pts
W ..... Canadiens 2 pts

meanwhile we all know that they were not equal feats. (or wins)

I dont even watch shoot outs any more. Turn to another game and just check for gimmick result later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Strafer

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I don’t agree with everything you said but I think it’s time to insert Coyle second line center and build around him
Heinen highly skilled but there is nothing happening he is vanilla
Bring up the kids
I agree with you but what do you do with Krejci? I'm starting to think that if they can get a great return, a young center and right wing with future promise I think that Bruce can do more with that. I know that it's a pipe dream but I'm really looking for a Harry Sinden type of ballsy trade. I kow that it's a different era, there's a cap etc. but there are always deals to be made. Look at Jim Rutherford, and what Yzerman, did with Tampa.Even Scott Gorton has made some strides, ***t he made the moves for Chara and Savard to come here. I also know those were off season free agent signings but I'm concerned that Sweeney has no fastball when it comes to in-season analysis and trades.

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
This was a game they should have won, but the loss has to be on Halak. Those 3 goals were awful.

I blame him for the sliding out of the crease goal. Not for Lindholm tipping it in his net, not for the OT bang bang pass. The backhand was a combo, we let them walk right in and do what they wanted, including the screen. Credit to Halak for keeping them in the 1st with at least 3 big saves and he did the same in the 2nd.

Cassidy needs to look in the mirror instead of throwing our keepers under the bus. Without their stellar play we are not in 1st in the division. Kuraly in OT and refusing to shake up the lines. The goalies being average lately exposes a lot more, they could not hide everything all year. Time for Sweeney to get some secondary scoring, we make every goalie look like a Vezina goalie every night shooting into the chest or not shooting at all. Check our top line and you stand a good chance of winning.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Well, we can't blame DB for it, Sweeney (the smartest guy in the room) is the one who offered him
that contract. The buck stops there.
True I don't blame DB at all for signing it, but Sweeney should have never offered that extra year, in that case he probably re-signs with the Blues.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Paper covers rock
Scissors cut paper
Rock smashes scissors

In a perfect tournament spock slides right through and wins

But heaven help him if alligator gets to paper before rock was taken out of the bracket
I think you have indulged a little too much in the xmas cheer. Just keep on going and everything will seem perfect.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I agree with everything here except DeBrusk. While he's struggled at times this season, 3rd liners don't usually:

1.) Score 27 goals

2.) Produce at a 0.60 PPG for their career

3.) Produce at a 0.55 PPG throughout the season (what he's doing this year)

4.) Score 20+ goals, which is what he's on pace for this year.

Had this discussion with some last night. Upgrade his RW and DeBrusk will also benefit.
That’s fair, I did misplace him. I’m not his biggest fan so that may have effected it some.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I blame him for the sliding out of the crease goal. Not for Lindholm tipping it in his net, not for the OT bang bang pass. The backhand was a combo, we let them walk right in and do what they wanted, including the screen. Credit to Halak for keeping them in the 1st with at least 3 big saves and he did the same in the 2nd.

Cassidy needs to look in the mirror instead of throwing our keepers under the bus. Without their stellar play we are not in 1st in the division. Kuraly in OT and refusing to shake up the lines. The goalies being average lately exposes a lot more, they could not hide everything all year. Time for Sweeney to get some secondary scoring, we make every goalie look like a Vezina goalie every night shooting into the chest or not shooting at all. Check our top line and you stand a good chance of winning.

Big saves are meaningless when you let in weak goals like Halak did. Excluding the it goal all weak and 100% on Halak.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
That bottom six is straight f***ing garbage. Get Kuraly back on the 4th line. Get Wagner back on the 4th line. Get Lindholm and Ritchie the f*** out of the lineup.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
That’s fair, I did misplace him. I’m not his biggest fan so that may have effected it some.

I think you had it right the first time. What DeBrusk did last year is largely irrelevant and doesn't demonstrate long-term ability because the sample size is too small. This season he is not playing to a 2nd-line standard. Too many games where his effort is substandard, patches where he becomes invisible, passes he fails to collect, and shots that don't test the goalie or miss the net completely. His speed means he should be finding or at least creating space but it happens very rarely, and even when he does get it most of the time this season he's wasting it. He also doesn't do enough else on the ice to let him get away with lack of production - if he's not banking points then he's not doing much at all.

Perhaps he will regain last season's form, or better, but right now I don't think he's yet done enough to prove that he is a genuine 2nd-line guy and producer. Of course giving him an improved, more stable RW will make him a better player, but how much remains to be seen, and if he was good enough he'd still be finding ways to produce points regularly. He himself showed it can be done last season, and it's not like his center can't play, although he's also struggling lately.

So I'd happily call DeBrusk a 3rd line talent, or at best a 2.5, who can be a long-term 2nd but still has a ways to go to demonstrate it.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I think you had it right the first time. What DeBrusk did last year is largely irrelevant and doesn't demonstrate long-term ability because the sample size is too small. This season he is not playing to a 2nd-line standard. Too many games where his effort is substandard, patches where he becomes invisible, passes he fails to collect, and shots that don't test the goalie or miss the net completely. His speed means he should be finding or at least creating space but it happens very rarely, and even when he does get it most of the time this season he's wasting it. He also doesn't do enough else on the ice to let him get away with lack of production - if he's not banking points then he's not doing much at all.

Perhaps he will regain last season's form, or better, but right now I don't think he's yet done enough to prove that he is a genuine 2nd-line guy and producer. Of course giving him an improved, more stable RW will make him a better player, but how much remains to be seen, and if he was good enough he'd still be finding ways to produce points regularly. He himself showed it can be done last season, and it's not like his center can't play, although he's also struggling lately.

So I'd happily call DeBrusk a 3rd line talent, or at best a 2.5, who can be a long-term 2nd but still has a ways to go to demonstrate it.

You admit Debrusk is not playing well but when you aren’t playing well and still scoring at a 20 goal , and above .5PPG pace then I would say that’s a Second line player.

I mean, out of all LWs to play at least half a season last year, only 44 scored over a .5PPG. Probably a few more as there are some LWs labeled as centers. Even then, if Debrusk only ended up with the 20g-23 assist totals he’s on pace for it would most certainly fall in the 40-50 range.

I think this may be a case of the grass being a little greener on the other side of the fence. Debrusk needs to start playing better but the guy has held his own for the majority of his career here as the second line wing despite being part of a pretty much 2 man line. Let’s call a duck a duck unless someone feels like listing 50-6O other left wings that are better.

Last edited:
Reactions: lxndr

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Bruins gonna get dummied tomorrow
I wouldn’t be surprised they won even though they have beat Washington once in a million games lol. That’s what they do ,everybody talks shat and they come out and win. Look at it like this maybe with Moore being put in there it gives them more speed back there without Chara. I by no means want Chara out of the lineup. I think I play Backes in this game we need some physical play against the Caps . Smart physical play. If they go with Ritchie and they probably will, he should be ready for a fight at any time in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad