GDT: Game 36 | Jackets @ Senators | 1/3 7pm

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Seems a lot like the difference between a manager who gets out of your way and just lets you do your job and being micro-managed.

I think this is part of it. If you trust your assistants and players to do the drill, and then float around an observe or talk to the assistants afterwards or watch tape of the practice later, then practice is efficient. If you slow it down or limit it so you can see what everyone is doing always, then it is inefficient.

One thing about Torts - he didn’t come off as a micromanager. He had assistants with well-defined jobs. He let those assistants run the power play and penalty kill and didn’t seem to manage it much except who was on which special teams unit or bringing in an outside guy like St. Louis for his input.

Obviously we are just speculating about practice efficiency, but this is the kind of thing where I am fed up with the front office. Larsen is a first time head coach. JD or Jarmo should have been checking in occasionally and offering advice. If practice seems like it is different than what has been successful for other teams, then that merits a discussion with the coach. A year and a half into his coaching is not when someone should be trying to change how he runs practices.

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
Laine seemed kind of rusty but at least he got out on the ice and had a couple shot attempts.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
JD or Jarmo should have been checking in occasionally and offering advice. If practice seems like it is different than what has been successful for other teams, then that merits a discussion with the coach. A year and a half into his coaching is not when someone should be trying to change how he runs practices.

This whole discussion is based on very flimsy information.

Basically Gudbranson said they haven't been practicing well lately - which was obviously about the players not bringing the right energy. He wouldn't have said it if it was about the coaches.

Then Porty made a comparison between Hitch's and Torts' practices with Larsen's. Lars does his diagramming on ice, the other two off ice.

How are you going to rope JD and Jarmo into this? Maybe they think Lars' way of doing it is much better? We have no idea.

Did we run out of reasons why this team would struggle? I thought we already knew and didn't need such wild speculations about things like the pace of practice.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
This whole discussion is based on very flimsy information.

Basically Gudbranson said they haven't been practicing well lately - which was obviously about the players not bringing the right energy. He wouldn't have said it if it was about the coaches.

Then Porty made a comparison between Hitch's and Torts' practices with Larsen's. Lars does his diagramming on ice, the other two off ice.

How are you going to rope JD and Jarmo into this? Maybe they think Lars' way of doing it is much better? We have no idea.

Did we run out of reasons why this team would struggle? I thought we already knew and didn't need such wild speculations about things like the pace of practice.

There were also some reports out of Finland saying the way the Jackets practiced was a joke compared to how Colorado practiced.

I think Larsen is a bad coach. I would say this is speculating about why Larsen is so bad. What else is there to talk about at this point in the season? One thing I am wondering is how we went so wrong hiring an internal candidate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad