GDT: Game 36 | Jackets @ Senators | 1/3 7pm

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Agreed Larsen needs to go. Shocking we haven't even heard rumblings, nothing from the FO. Bizarre
Lars isn’t the answer but whether he stays or goes this season is of less importance than he not returning for next season. If he is and fails, he and Jarmo should be a package deal.

Reactions: MAHJ71

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Anyone feeling bad, sad, disheartened, disappointed etc, go watch Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli highlights and imagine them wearing a CBJ crest. That’s a good remedy,
This is all you get when you’re tanking. You don’t get to decide that we want to lose but we want to lose a certain way or under certain conditions. When you tank, you suck. And you suck with the roster that convinced you that you needed to tank, so it’s probably not very good. You also don’t get to decide what impact the tanking has on guys on your roster that you think you’ll want after the tank.

It’s an approach. But tonight is what it feels like more often than not. So yeah, highlights of the next guys.

If games like this piss you off and make you want guys to be fired, then you might want to reconsider if you’re ready for a tank.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That's the coaches job.
No, you don't get to do that. You don't get to pretend that other players aren't involved. You don't get to act like they have no influence. They exist. They're real. They are there. They are the ones folks look to. And no amount of "but HIS JOB" or "but AHL" whining changes this single, fundamental, inescapable reality. That is and has always been and has long been known to be THE difference between a team that can develop its players versus a team where Potential Goes To Die.

Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
This is all you get when you’re tanking. You don’t get to decide that we want to lose but we want to lie a certain way or under certain conditions. When you tank, you suck. And you suck with the roster that Convinced you that you needed to tank, so it’s probably not very good. You also don’t get to decide what impact the tanking has on guys on your roster that you think you’ll want after the tank.

It’s an approach. But tonight is what it feels like more often than not. So yeah, highlights of the next guys.

If games like this piss you off and make you want guys to be fired, then you might want to reconsider if you’re ready for a tank.
I've been through seemingly many "tanks" with this club and hasn't worked yet. Here's to the NHL finally throwing this franchise a bone

DEF

Oct 24, 2008
White Castle's
First of all, I get to do what I want. Gaudreau, Laine and Werenski are going to be here. Do you really want anyone else on this team handing out advice?

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
First of all, I get to do what I want. Gaudreau, Laine and Werenski are going to be here. Do you really want anyone else on this team handing out advice?
"Anyone else" exists and will be there and will be handing out advice whether you want them to or not. They already have. The prospects have already been here and have already played games with them. There are 23 players on an NHL roster, and at no point are you able to reduce it to those three guys and Fresh New Untainted Faces.

There is no way to "isolate" part of the organization from ennui and horror and apathy while the other part experiences competitiveness. There just isn't. There's too much cross-pollination and there always will be. It is simply not an option.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
We've been here many times (in the standings).
We need to make sure before the deadline we make the right moves and clear out the folks who won't be here in 2 years.

Too many times we held onto guys then somehow the team rallies and wins 7 in a row.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
This was always going to be a lost season in terms of record, but we're starting to get into a danger zone where it's going to be lost in terms of meaningful team/player development as well. Yeah, Marchenko looks good but I don't see any trend toward "unit cohesion" to this point. This is bunch of players that just don't seem to be "getting it".

In recent podcasts with Portzline, Gudbranson's "we don't practice well" comment has been discussed and AP has said one thing he notices is that under Larson, there's a lot of "stand around and discuss how to practice" during practice, where Torts (and Hitchcock) would largely make practice about doing things on the ice - actual drills and go-go-go. Is that difference playing out on the ice? This team seems to lack actual game skills, speed and mentality. Maybe they're not practicing the actual game, game situations, game drills, etc. enough and are getting *too much* coaching/talking/theory/cheerleading. I'm not a coach, and just engaging in rank 2+2 = sandwiches speculation. But Gudbranson's comments alarmed me at the time, and his "clarification" the day after didn't calm my nerves.

Unless things change, and change dramatically, I can easily see us going into next season with *exactly* the same question marks and issues as we came into this season with, and that is not where we should be.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
This was always going to be a lost season in terms of record, but we're starting to get into a danger zone where it's going to be lost in terms of meaningful team/player development as well. Yeah, Marchenko looks good but I don't see any trend toward "unit cohesion" to this point. This is bunch of players that just don't seem to be "getting it".

In recent podcasts with Portzline, Gudbranson's "we don't practice well" comment has been discussed and AP has said one thing he notices is that under Larson, there's a lot of "stand around and discuss how to practice" during practice, where Torts (and Hitchcock) would largely make practice about doing things on the ice - actual drills and go-go-go. Is that difference playing out on the ice? This team seems to lack actual game skills, speed and mentality. Maybe they're not practicing the actual game, game situations, game drills, etc. enough and are getting *too much* coaching/talking/theory/cheerleading. I'm not a coach, and just engaging in rank 2+2 = sandwiches speculation. But Gudbranson's comments alarmed me at the time, and his "clarification" the day after didn't calm my nerves.

Unless things change, and change dramatically, I can easily see us going into next season with *exactly* the same question marks and issues as we came into this season with, and that is not where we should be.

My kids have played hockey. My experience is the better coaches had the kids constantly moving on the ice during practice. The worse teams were standing around a lot and with longer wait times between drills. Maybe because the better coaches trusted assistants and delegated??? I know there is a big difference between youth and high school hockey practices and the NHL, but I would think a team meeting would be where you would diagram plays or drills, and then when you got in the ice you would execute what you had talked about.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
My kids have played hockey. My experience is the better coaches had the kids constantly moving on the ice during practice. The worse teams were standing around a lot and with longer wait times between drills. Maybe because the better coaches trusted assistants and delegated??? I know there is a big difference between youth and high school hockey practices and the NHL, but I would think a team meeting would be where you would diagram plays or drills, and then when you got in the ice you would execute what you had talked about.
Thank you for the input. Obviously, you can't draw any conclusions since it's anecdotal and several worlds away in terms of skill level, but interesting nonetheless.

I see the Torts/Hitch model as more likely to develop responsibilities and communication among the team. If you tell the guys in the dressing room, or something like "OK, today's practice we're going to do this drill and then this one and then this one" and they come out on the ice and execute the drills with a minimu of "stage managing" from one to the next, you're forcing a sense of ownership and responsibility onto them and they're going to have to look out for each other, make sure they all communicate well so that everyone knows what's next, what it entails - as well as developing "flow" and rhythm among teammates.

Where if you're being called to the white board after every drill to listen to a coach talk and pontificate and explain what's next, it would seem more likely that you're going to become dependent on that constant single point of leadership as your guidepost. Plus that's not to mention you're getting a lot of rest and breaks and chances to catch your breath and so forth. So at a minimum, it would seem counter-productive to developing base endurance, even if it's not a drag on actual game skills.

Seems a lot like the difference between a manager who gets out of your way and just lets you do your job and being micro-managed.

Reactions: koteka

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
This was always going to be a lost season in terms of record, but we're starting to get into a danger zone where it's going to be lost in terms of meaningful team/player development as well.
I could be wrong/misremembering, but I feel like we hoped for much of the same information out of last season too and didn;'t get as much as we wanted, thus the (similar?) approach to this season.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If these words about Larsen's coaching are right, it's very sad. Especially if Torts was his boss.
----
I don't think Fantilli is a player who can be better as Johnson (only please, if Jenner returns let him play center). Michkov? It's difficult to say but he will play in KHL, in Sochi.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
I could be wrong/misremembering, but I feel like we hoped for much of the same information out of last season too and didn;'t get as much as we wanted, thus the (similar?) approach to this season.
I don't recall either, but it feels like we've been in "let's figure out what we even have here" treadmill since the mid-way point of the year Torts left, which I cannot believe was a season+ ago. And at least some part of what we thought we figured out last year - Sillinger is a legit future 2nd line center - has to now be considered in jeopardy. This is turning into a really hard team to care about, let alone actively root for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad