GDT: Game 36: Coyotes @ Avalanche | Sunday, Dec. 27th, 6PM MT | Bounce Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Iggy is now tied for second on the team in goals. He belongs in a retirement home though so I guess the rest of the guys should be embarrassed by that stat.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
No doubt about it. Although I really don't like to see the Avs play 3 on 3. It's just too nerve-racking.

Tough loss. Won't win many games with not a single one of Landeskog, Duchene, Barrie, Duchene performing well.

You noticed how the Yotes just skated full speed ahead in OT looking for scoring chances (and they had lots of them), while the Avs looked like they were setting up one of their typical "pass it around the perimeter forever" PP's when they had the puck. And you'd think that Duchene & Mack would be 3-on-3 nightmares for the Yotes, but they were COMPLETE non-factors in OT tonight---other than Duchene screwing up by holding onto the puck for an eternity. Somehow I'm not surprised this team sh^t the bed on home ice again. Take a few steps forward. Take a few steps back. Rinse and repeat.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
You noticed how the Yotes just skated full speed ahead in OT looking for scoring chances (and they had lots of them), while the Avs looked like they were setting up one of their typical "pass it around the perimeter forever" PP's when they had the puck. And you'd think that Duchene & Mack would be 3-on-3 nightmares for the Yotes, but they were COMPLETE non-factors in OT tonight---other than Duchene screwing up by holding onto the puck for an eternity. Somehow I'm not surprised this team sh^t the bed on home ice again. Take a few steps forward. Take a few steps back. Rinse and repeat.
MacKinnon only got on the ice once in OT and created the best chance.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Definitely some head turners by the Avs a few times that game. I think I'd like to see the stacked first line again just because they actually got the job done.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

you should re-watch the OT and re-evaluate MacK.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
MacKinnon only got on the ice once in OT and created the best chance.

He threw the puck to Tanguay, who was driving the net, but it went nowhere. The collision & sprawling players looked neat though. The Avs best chance in OT was when Beauchemin hit the post with a slapper.

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Iggy is now tied for second on the team in goals. He belongs in a retirement home though so I guess the rest of the guys should be embarrassed by that stat.

I'm sure a lot of GM's would be fooled by those stats. If only he could waive his NMC.. :(

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Damn that OT was just hot garbage. So intense in person....

I'm 0-1-1 on the year now going to games. Sad **** :cry:

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
You missed mack spinning off the boards and creating a chance all by himself.

I would've been pumped if MacKinnon had scored a breakaway goal in OT to win this thing, so don't think I enjoy dumping on him here. I'm just calling it like I see it. Mack is in one hell of a funk & he doesn't appear to be capable of getting out of it without some gift goals set up by someone else.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Can't believe people are bagging on Varly for the first goal against. You should win 95% of your home games, in which your goalie gives up 1 goal in regulation. Was it the best goal he's ever given up, no, but it wasn't like some lame duck that fluttered in from center ice either. The guy was able to walk in point blank, and fired a bullet off the crossbar and in.

This game squarely falls on our stars not putting the puck in the net. You get a nice few days of to rest up and you come out flat as all hell, and create minimal scoring opportunities against a team that played and traveled yesterday. Just not a good game overall.

This game also falls on Roy for creating such awful line combos. Mitchell should in no way be playing center over Duchene. It's fine if he wants to break up Duchene and MacK, but how hard is it to create lines like this:

Landy-Mack-Iginla
Tanguay-Soderberg-Duchene
Comeau-Mitchell-Martinsen

Those 3 lines are infinitely better than what was iced tonight, and it took me all of 1 minute to think of them.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
How was that flat? They were playing balls to the wall from the get go, they had nearly 40 shots. Minimal scoring opportunities? Playing well and scoring are two different things. Same with boring hockey and not scoring, they don't have to go hand in hand. Obviously they weren't going to win a 1-0 game, they needed that big goal to go up 2-0. Maybe if they hadn't blown the whistle on Landy's goal things would be different.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think we as fans have fallen into a pretty big results oriented mindset for a while now and it's kind of understandable given the frustration of following this team the last couple years.

However, if they would have scored in that OT there would be an entirely different tone here about what a great game that was. Which is true IMO.

Yes there were some problems. Duchene was absent most of the game and continued to make poor decisions with the puck in OT. Yes they overextended their shifts a bit in OT. Yes Mack is in an obvious shooting funk and can't find the net. Yes Redmond and Barrie are crazy liabilities defensively. The team as a whole started to fold a bit half way through the game, and the refs didn't do then any favors by letting a crapload of blatant holding go on scoring chances.

I see an obvious positive in this game though because when Arizona started making a push and was playing very good hockey, this game had all the makings of one they would give up the lead and lose in regulation in the past, but they caught themselves, and managed the game well enough to gain a point.

What they need is still the same, and that's a second win streak here to get them into the wild card spot, and this point could help them if they can put one together.

It's the same with how Iggy has been viewed. Yes he's pretty lazy defensively, yes he's a bit of a floater in the offensive zone when he's off his game but he's been all of that his entire career. I remember him playing the Avs in his prime and not seeing him the whole game. He still ends up being a 30 goal threat every year and he's on his way to that again. He's just had his early season funk a little later after a hot it start.

He's starting to hit his second half stride though per usual, which will lead to deserved praise if he continues, instead of all the crap that's been dumped on him lately. Even with all his faults, the positives he brings with his end of year production is big asset.

Same with the Avs. If they can start another streak, this point in a hard fought game will add to that. Regardless of how this game ended, they needed to put together that streak, and the same is true now, but they have one point when they could have had none.

This single point in a tough game won't define them, the same way Iggy's slump shouldn't define him. What will define them is can they go on another streak, and then finish the year strong, and can Iginla contribute to that with his usual hot finish to the season?

Last edited:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
We played really well, IMO. Controlled play and kept the pressure on the Coyotes for extended periods of time. A deflected shot and a breakaway decided the game against us. If we play with that effort and that style every night, we will win more often than not.

I pretty much liked everybody's game other than Duchene and Tanguay.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
I think we as fans have fallen into a pretty big results oriented mindset for a while now and it's kind of understandable given the frustration of following this team the last couple years.

However, if they would have scored in that OT there would be an entirely different tone here about what a great game that was. Which is true IMO.

Yes there were some problems. Duchene was absent most of the game and continued to make poor decisions with the puck in OT. Yes they overextended their shifts a bit in OT. Yes Mack is in an obvious shooting funk and can't find the net. Yes Redmond and Barrie are crazy liabilities defensively. The team as a whole started to fold a bit half way through the game, and the refs didn't do then any favors by letting a crapload of blatant holding go on scoring chances.

I see an obvious positive in this game though because when Arizona started making a push and was playing very good hockey, this game had all the makings of one they would give up the lead and lose in regulation in the past, but they caught themselves, and managed the game well enough to gain a point.

What they need is still the same, and that's a second win streak here to get them into the wild card spot, and this point could help them if they can put one together.

It's the same with how Iggy has been viewed. Yes he's pretty lazy defensively, yes he's a bit of a floater in the offensive zone when he's off his game but he's been all of that his entire career. I remember him playing the Avs in his prime and not seeing him the whole game. He still ends up being a 30 goal threat every year and he's on his way to that again. He's just had his early season funk a little later after a hot it start.

He's starting to hit his second half stride though per usual, which will lead to deserved praise if he continues, instead of all the crap that's been dumped on him lately. Even with all his faults, the positives he brings with his end of year production is big asset.

Same with the Avs. If they can start another streak, this point in a hard fought game will add to that. Regardless of how this game ended, they needed to put together that streak, and the same is true now, but they have one point when they could have had none.

This single point in a tough game won't define them, the same way Iggy's slump shouldn't define him. What will define them is can they go on another streak, and then finish the year strong, and can Iginla contribute to that with his usual hot finish to the season?
I agree with what you say in terms of individual players, but I still don't think we're expecting too much from the Avs to think that they should've kicked it into gear in the 3rd period and won that hockey game in regulation. It's not like Arizona is anything special---to say the least. Then again, neither are the Avs.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
As disappointed as I am with not getting the extra point, we played a great game through regulation. Everyone played well except for Duchene and Tanguay, also starting to like Martinsen a lot, though he should be a bottom 6 guy in the long term.

Can't wait for tonights game since I'll be there. Although it's funny you guys talking about your records this year while attending games, I'm 1-9-3 lifetime :cry: :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad