Post-Game Talk: Game #36: Canucks lose 3-2 to the Wild in the shootout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Typically aggressive forechecking leads to a game that most people would label as exciting. Lots of scoring chances both by having worn out dmen, as well as the high risk nature leading to odd man rushes the other way.

The Canucks employ an aggressive 3 man forecheck. Their games can be boring because team defense is so strong and the forwards lack creativity. So you get few chances against the Canucks and they generate a lot of hard working offense, but not much in the way of creativity in the offensive zone.

Tortorella's Canucks have a more aggressive forecheck than AV's Canucks did. Difference being Canuck teams of the past had a bit more skill and they also surrendered more odd man rushes against - so you could say they were more exciting.

The New Jersey Devils play a pretty 'boring' game as well and they also have an aggressive, 3 man forecheck...

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
Your posts are fine.

The Canucks generally run an aggressive forecheck, though, which is likely why you're getting some pushback. To me it just looked like a game where neither team was "on" so there was a lot of awkward scrambling around in the neutral zone. That tends to be what Canucks games look like this season when the team isn't quite on its game.

I didn't see much from the Wild that was very exciting, either, but the Wild's Fenwick ratings have plummeted since the first month of the season, so they probably tried to simplify their game last night against a hot team. That would be my guess, anyway. Either way, I agree that the game felt plodding.

I think what we saw were two teams that forecheck aggressively, but also play very good team defence. Forechecks struggled on both sides to establish anything because both defences are very disciplined and structured. It can make a dominant forecheck look sluggish and off.

I think the only time either team really established a good forecheck was in the second part of the third where the Wild seemed to pick up some momentum after Harding's breakaway save. After the Coyle goal the Wild really had some jump and were able to generate chances and make the game more exciting (for Wild fans).

When OT came around that was exciting hockey where both teams were playing to win.

BTW: I don't think the Wild's style has changed or been simplified. It is simply execution. Since Grandlund has gone down they are a one line team in terms of forecheck. Sometimes Cooke's line can also get some forecheck established.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I think what we saw were two teams that forecheck aggressively, but also play very good team defence. Forechecks struggled on both sides to establish anything because both defences are very disciplined and structured. It can make a dominant forecheck look sluggish and off.

I think the only time either team really established a good forecheck was in the second part of the third where the Wild seemed to pick up some momentum after Harding's breakaway save. After the Coyle goal the Wild really had some jump and were able to generate chances and make the game more exciting (for Wild fans).

When OT came around that was exciting hockey where both teams were playing to win.

BTW: I don't think the Wild's style has changed or been simplified. It is simply execution. Since Grandlund has gone down they are a one line team in terms of forecheck. Sometimes Cooke's line can also get some forecheck established.

Fair enough. I don't watch a lot of Wild hockey. I like what they've been doing in the last couple offseasons, though -- with the exception of acquiring Heatley. I can't believe he hasn't been bought out yet.

Drop the Sopel has a point when he mentions the type of forwards the Canucks have, too. The Sedins are the only creative offensive players on the team. The rest, even Kesler, are mostly pure north-south players that drive to the net. That can be boring to watch when the forecheck isn't buzzing around effectively. It's also why most observers think the Canucks need one more creative forward to supplement the "stiff" brand of hockey they play.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
We need to score goals on shoot outs, other teams can do it no problem, what makes us different

Apparent refusal to use Kassian in it I think. You can count on Santo, but no one scores every time. Did Canes fans say anything about Dalpe's shootout skills when we picked him up? I just kind of assume that young finesse players like that are good in the shootout.

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
not me, i imagine booth would do the same type of move that higgins does and while with speed during the game where u dont hae time to think, it works. but in a shootout, booth's regular average wrist shot about mid level, wouldn't do much

weise wouldn't use a predictable move

need more players willing to backhand and roof (or just raise it above the pad)

Have you seen the Booth highlights on the Shootout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad