Post-Game Talk: Game #36: Canucks lose 3-2 to the Wild in the shootout

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
I think Richardson has the tools to be good at the shootout. I'd like to see him get the opportunity.

Booth can't lift the puck.

Kassian can handle it but I'd like to see more.

Dalpe should get a shot considering Cam Ward's opinion on his release.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
finally torts realizes that the nucks suck at shootouts. he should try mixing the shooters a bit. no more kesler/higgins. same old same old. give dalpe/richardson/booth a shot.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
You gotta think that over the years either AV/Torts have at least looked at these guys in shotoouts in practice or after practice(some teams do that for fun) man times. They're obviously just not that good.

That being said, outside of Santo, they need to give some others a shot. Hansen, Dalpe, Kassian, Richardson, etc even if they're not outscoring Kesler/Higgins in practice you gotta try it.

time to give other guys a chance mix it up. i'd put richardson/dalpe/kass.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I didn't watch the game, but saw the highlights.

We need to find a way to win that one. We had a 2-1 lead heading into the third. Luongo probably should have gotten the tying goal, but why do shootouts hate us so much? Since 2005, I don't think shootouts have liked us that much at all. Could be confirmation bias though.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
listening on the radio it sounded like Luongo gave up the worst goal in history.

watched it now, was probably stoppable but still a good goal.

Frustrating part here is the missed chances to score and then doing NOTHING in the shootout.

Especially how they keep using the same handful of guys in the shootout.

Put Kassian in, booth or hell try a guy like Dalpe or Weise.

they're 2 for 18 this year, can't get much worse.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
typical boring wild game...they really haven't changed a bit and just glad that they're not in the division anymore so we don't have to endure too many more of those games

not going to get too mad about the shootout...at the end of the day it's still a skills competition that means nothing in the playoffs, is highly dependent on luck, and looking at the standings there are alot of good western conference teams with 5 or more shootout losses (ie vancouver, chicago, san jose, anaheim, phoenix, even minnesota)

hard to nitpick too much after that winning streak and not bad to at least get a point in a potential trap game

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
typical boring wild game...they really haven't changed a bit and just glad that they're not in the division anymore so we don't have to endure too many more of those games

The Canucks made the game boring. Plug up the center of the ice all game long and block shots from the outside. Sit on a one goal lead and barely forecheck. I am not sure what game you were watching, but that was the most boring display of hockey I have seen a team create in a long time.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
The Canucks made the game boring. Plug up the center of the ice all game long and block shots from the outside. Sit on a one goal lead and barely forecheck. I am not sure what game you were watching, but that was the most boring display of hockey I have seen a team create in a long time.

It is ok, even Finnish Wild fans have to vent at times.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

Your free to discuss on your own board how exciting your team is.

For someone complaining about our forcheck or lack of, the hits column were pretty even.

But if forcheck hitting is your definition of excitement, then maybe were going nowhere.

And if we sat on a 1 goal lead im not sure why our fanbase was upset at missed breakaways by daniel and open nets by chris higgins to put the game away.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Wasn't a terrible effort, but the team looked a lot like a team on the first game of a road trip with an earlier start. Everything was just a bit slow/off. Passes weren't crisp and guys were a half step late getting to hits and loose pucks. Still, the Canucks could have easily won this game if they'd buried one of the chances they'd had early in the third: that shot by Higgins was about an inch and a half from getting past Harding's skate.

Team looked good for the first half of the third and then Higgins misread that 3 on 2 when he was backchecking -- he took the middle of the ice instead of the third man and didn't realize it for a second. Luongo slightly overplayed the pass and it snuck through. That's a goal I'd like to see Luongo save, but he made up for it by getting them the extra point in the final 10 minutes when Minnesota was all over the Canucks.

Not a great game, but you take the point and re-calibrate.

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
Your free to discuss on your own board how exciting your team is.

For someone complaining about our forcheck or lack of, the hits column were pretty even.

But if forcheck hitting is your definition of excitement, then maybe were going nowhere.

And if we sat on a 1 goal lead im not sure why our fanbase was upset at missed breakaways by daniel and open nets by chris higgins to put the game away.

I know this is the Canuck's board, but I am engaging in a civil discussion on about a post that was made.

I am sure many Canucks fans would agree with me that the "boredom" factor was not simply a product of the Wild's style of play, but was greatly influenced by how the Canucks played and executed the game. Specifically their lack of aggressiveness on the forecheck and the way they defend by clogging up the center of the ice and relying on shot blocking. Nothing wrong with this - Canucks do it well, and are obviously successful at it (standings), but it can make the game boring.

I am not following the point about hits being even and the forecheck - sorry. Typically aggressive forechecking leads to a game that most people would label as exciting. Lots of scoring chances both by having worn out dmen, as well as the high risk nature leading to odd man rushes the other way.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I know this is the Canuck's board, but I am engaging in a civil discussion on about a post that was made.

I am sure many Canucks fans would agree with me that the "boredom" factor was not simply a product of the Wild's style of play, but was greatly influenced by how the Canucks played and executed the game. Specifically their lack of aggressiveness on the forecheck and the way they defend by clogging up the center of the ice and relying on shot blocking. Nothing wrong with this - Canucks do it well, and are obviously successful at it (standings), but it can make the game boring.

I am not following the point about hits being even and the forecheck - sorry. Typically aggressive forechecking leads to a game that most people would label as exciting. Lots of scoring chances both by having worn out dmen, as well as the high risk nature leading to odd man rushes the other way.

Your posts are fine.

The Canucks generally run an aggressive forecheck, though, which is likely why you're getting some pushback. To me it just looked like a game where neither team was "on" so there was a lot of awkward scrambling around in the neutral zone. That tends to be what Canucks games look like this season when the team isn't quite on its game.

I didn't see much from the Wild that was very exciting, either, but the Wild's Fenwick ratings have plummeted since the first month of the season, so they probably tried to simplify their game last night against a hot team. That would be my guess, anyway. Either way, I agree that the game felt plodding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad