GDT: Game 34: Maple Leafs @ Coyotes - 7PM - FSAZ

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I feel bad for Stone. Even though I've been a huge critic of Stone I always thought he was a bottom-pairing/fringe NHL guy pre-injury it's apparent he's a lot worse now because he can't turn or skate at this level. Nobody's going to trade for him and no one is probably going to sign him.

Lowball him and carry him as the 7. If Dawn Braid can't fix his gait, let him go.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
We can't lose on 1500 games and 400 goals night. (Channeling Yandle)
Free Yands.
izUnidL.jpg
Korean grammar disaster, but funny as ****.
Holland playing center on the pp and Dvorak playing left bench.

Dave is a special kind of stupid
Wait till the next road trip, because abandoning Tipp in West Glendale isn't inconvenient enough. Uber back to Scottsdale is only like $20, not enough.
Powerplay time with one minute left in an already lost cause; Stone, McGinn and Holland play the entirety of it and look like **** the whole time.

**** you Dave, I hope your turkey gives you salmonella
Holland on the power play. A ****ing waiver pickup from the Leafs. I give up.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Chose a party and a late movie for my entertainment dollars tonight. Sorry, Drummond, but if the team doesn't give a ****, why should I? Looks like I made the safe choice.

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
I still think we should get another apology letter from the marketing team on behalf of the entire franchise.

We're sorry the team is incredibly bad and everybody is regressing.
We will do our best to turn things around.
But not really.

Coyotes 2.0
Coyotes 1.5

I'm voting for
Coyotes 0.08 - Cause this team (Dave Tippett) causes me to want to drink!

Glad I was there to see #400.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Free Yands.Korean grammar disaster, but funny as ****.Wait till the next road trip, because abandoning Tipp in West Glendale isn't inconvenient enough. Uber back to Scottsdale is only like $20, not enough.
Holland on the power play. A ****ing waiver pickup from the Leafs. I give up.

Hey hey hey, Holland wasn't a waiver pick up. We had to trade a conditional 6th rounder that will likely stay with us :sarcasm:.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I'm not certain what game many of you watched and perhaps you actually did notice, but DT didn't put a single pass in a team mates skates, nor did he miss the net over 30 times. Despite all that the boys outplayed the leafs and kept plugging along, with zero puck luck and an uncanny ability to generate so little with the infusion of skill we've been told we're blessed with.

I get the frustration and don't like many of DT's decisions either, in fact they could fire him on Christmas and I would only say "maybe they should have waited a day", but some of these comments are ridiculous.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I get the frustration and don't like many of DT's decisions either, in fact they could fire him on Christmas and I would only say "maybe they should have waited a day", but some of these comments are ridiculous.

Especially these idiotic comments about Dvorak's limited minutes. Again, he did nothing positive with his limited ice time, and was a liability defensively. That has nothing to do with coaches being in his head. That he racked up 11 points doesn't make him a budding star. Everything I saw last night and the last few nights is that he's a marginal NHL player. He wasn't quite as ridiculous as Duclair has looked, but nearly so.

The team as a whole does appear to have abandoned Tippett, though. The performance for long stretches again was in the same ballpark as the Gretzky years. The inability to put passes on the tape, the silly neutral zone turnovers, the feeling of indifference after these mistakes - those things concern me more than how much playing time players are getting.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
Doans goal was pretty, the nachos with the jalopeno peppers on them were great..and.....cant wait for the Stars game on Tuesday.
Still nothing more fun in the world than going to a Coyotes game, except maybe a 10 miler in the rain.

BigJCaRoach

I howl
Sponsor
Oct 5, 2005
The Desert
Especially these idiotic comments about Dvorak's limited minutes. Again, he did nothing positive with his limited ice time, and was a liability defensively. That has nothing to do with coaches being in his head. That he racked up 11 points doesn't make him a budding star. Everything I saw last night and the last few nights is that he's a marginal NHL player. He wasn't quite as ridiculous as Duclair has looked, but nearly so.

The team as a whole does appear to have abandoned Tippett, though. The performance for long stretches again was in the same ballpark as the Gretzky years. The inability to put passes on the tape, the silly neutral zone turnovers, the feeling of indifference after these mistakes - those things concern me more than how much playing time players are getting.

Amazing post, Tom. Well said. 100% agree.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
If Dvorak looks like a marginal NHLer then there is a serious problem with whatever the coaching staff is doing.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I'm not certain what game many of you watched and perhaps you actually did notice, but DT didn't put a single pass in a team mates skates, nor did he miss the net over 30 times. Despite all that the boys outplayed the leafs and kept plugging along, with zero puck luck and an uncanny ability to generate so little with the infusion of skill we've been told we're blessed with.

This. We really need to do a Buffalo for 2 years and restart with all new talent. Yea I know the cost, but if it's not done we will have 10 years of Edmonton. All sizzle, no steak.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If Dvorak looks like a marginal NHLer then there is a serious problem with whatever the coaching staff is doing.

It's telling that this coaching staff took the consensus #2 (and arguably #3)* prospect in the world, both of whom are in draft+ years, and all we have to show for it is a "marginal NHLer" who is only playing because of injury to a 3C. Meanwhile, other lesser regarded prospects continue to contribute to their rebuilding teams' success and are by-and-large improving with exposure and the sort of on-the-job training that Dave Tippett feels so strongly is anathema, to the point that he is playing two more Tippett castoffs instead of them.

We were widely regarded as having the #1 or #2 prospect pool in the league. Max Domi was once the #1 nhl-affiliated prospect* --possible superstar. Started unbelievably strong and looked dynamic. Now looks like a second liner (though he's still our best forward). Duclair looks amazing with Domi. Separated, benched, scratched an entire year to "pay his dues", and now he looks broken or disinterested.. Just a string of great development in these only two development years. I'm really impressed.

*See Craig Button lists

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
This. We really need to do a Buffalo for 2 years and restart with all new talent. Yea I know the cost, but if it's not done we will have 10 years of Edmonton. All sizzle, no steak.

Dave Tippett; so bad he ruined the rebuild in year zero.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm sorry. Domi has become the player he was projected to be. go back to draft previews. They were bang on.

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
He was never projected as a franchise player. Ever. He was projected as a skilled winger.
Was "franchise player" brought up? I wouldn't have guessed people would apply that to Domi while OEL continues to wear a Yotes sweater.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Was "franchise player" brought up? I wouldn't have guessed people would apply that to Domi while OEL continues to wear a Yotes sweater.

The connotation that Domi was a top 2/3 prospect in the world and tippett prevented him from reaching his potential.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The connotation that Domi was a top 2/3 prospect in the world and tippett prevented him from reaching his potential.

Max Domi was Button's top NHL affiliated prospect after his WJC performance. Dvorak and Strome were 2 and 3 this year. I'm just tired of everyone saying the reason none of them are thriving is because Tippett doesn't have anything to work with. It's BS. He had the consensus 1 or 2 prospect pool. He just wants nothing to do with them, and would rather play waiver quality veterans because they are "proven". The idea that we should already trade them all and find better prospects is laughable in light of the fact they are generally accepted as a top 2 pool NHL-wide. Or were before Tippett started coaching them.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Max Domi was Button's top NHL affiliated prospect after his WJC performance. Dvorak and Strome were 2 and 3 this year. I'm just tired of everyone saying the reason none of them are thriving is because Tippett doesn't have anything to work with. It's BS. He had the consensus 1 or 2 prospect pool. He just wants nothing to do with them, and would rather play waiver quality veterans because they are "proven". The idea that we should already trade them all and find better prospects is laughable in light of the fact they are generally accepted as a top 2 pool NHL-wide. Or were before Tippett started coaching them.

And Button was alone on an island. Domi had a great WJC. He has never been and will never be a franchise player. He's a very good player. Arguably our top player today. If anything the extra time in junior and the WJC helped Domi to get to this point already. Had we not cut him there would have been no WJC.

We have 9 second and first year players on the roster. 3 of them had great campaigns last year and aren't doing as well this season. Some of our rookies are playing very well. Some are not playing to expectations. All are gaining valuable experience and will get better as they become accustomed to the game.

I think we just need to let this season play out. The rookies overall have been okay.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Problem is the young players are not getting the experience they should be. The team is going no where. Why aren't the young players getting all of the exposure possible? That's what Toronto is doing and they are a **** ton more fun to watch. I posted a link to an interview with the Sun's general manager the other day. It's exactly what they are doing. Instead of putting the vets in to get a meaningless win, they are exposing their young players to those crucial situations taking advantage of the fact they aren't winning a championship any time soon. Tippett's stance? Give those minutes and opportunities to guys that mostly likely aren't even going to be on the roster next year. All he's doing is helping them interview for a job instead of developing his talent as much as possible. It's the difference between trying to win one meaningless game instead of trying to build for the future. It's exactly opposite of what a rebuild should be doing. It seems ownership and the front office want to rebuild with the way the roster was assembles but Tippett is only being drug along with he day to day management.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Toronto is rewarding the kids who play well and produce with more minutes in small stretches. Those who stray from script and don't play as coach wants gets minutes reduced quickly ala Nylander. You are trying too hard to make this a simple process. We don't have a Matthews or a Marner at present time. Barely a Hyman to be truthful. There is plenty of blame to go around for present situation and simply making it Tippett is nowhere near correct.
Problem is the young players are not getting the experience they should be. The team is going no where. Why aren't the young players getting all of the exposure possible? That's what Toronto is doing and they are a **** ton more fun to watch. I posted a link to an interview with the Sun's general manager the other day. It's exactly what they are doing. Instead of putting the vets in to get a meaningless win, they are exposing their young players to those crucial situations taking advantage of the fact they aren't winning a championship any time soon. Tippett's stance? Give those minutes and opportunities to guys that mostly likely aren't even going to be on the roster next year. All he's doing is helping them interview for a job instead of developing his talent as much as possible. It's the difference between trying to win one meaningless game instead of trying to build for the future. It's exactly opposite of what a rebuild should be doing. It seems ownership and the front office want to rebuild with the way the roster was assembles but Tippett is only being drug along with he day to day management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad