GDT: Game 34: Columbus vs. Boston | 12/27 7PM EST

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
Well that was certainly a fun game. Feels nice to be on the good side of a blowout this time. It was also nice to see them score 3 on each goalie ( proves the CBJ were really on tonight, doesn't it? ;) Can't say "oh but the only reason you won was because they had their backup in" ).
I'd like to give kudos to C-Mac as well. He was really sharp. He oozed confidence after that awesome glove save on Krug. I think it is safe to say he's finally back to his 'McBackup form" :laugh:

As for the Lucic and Prout fight, I'd call it a draw. Lucic jumped on Prout before he even had a chance to get set to fight ( vintage Lucic right there ). He hung right with him though, even after Lucic tried to sucker him. Great job, Dalton! He's really earned my respect. He's a tough dude. No doubt.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio

HAHA!! That's the most hilarious thing I've seen in months! :laugh: Ironic how Jeff Rimer and Jody Shelley alluded to the Detroit/LA situation as well on the Jackets broadcast.

To be fair though, I would be pissed if something like this happened to the Blue Jackets. But also to be fair, during that span, the Bruins had a few opportunities in the CBJ end as well. I doubt Jack Edwards would be as vocal if the Bruins had scored instead.
Jack is an entertaining guy though. I love his calls.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
Jack Edwards' tears are delicious.

I really don't know how all four officials miss that call, but in their defense, I didn't see a single player that knew where the puck was. Nobody had their hand up pointing to it.

About ten seconds before the goal, a CBJ player (Johnson) threw the puck up the far boards, and I thought for sure it went off Forsberg sitting on the bench. You could see him react and it looked like the puck changed direction. Oh well.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
I'd love to see Prout and Lucic actually square off for round three. Lucic literally couldn't have started the fight in way with more of an advantage. At least Prout saw him coming. All things considered, Prout didn't fair too terribly.

I was hoping they'd come out of the box after their matching minors and square off, you know, like men.

January 17th isn't too far away.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Puck Daddy, as usual, says it all.

Said Lucic to the Boston Globe before the game:

“Still not happy about it,†said Lucic, who believed Prout sucker-punched him. “But you definitely don’t want to do anything stupid where you put your team or yourself in jeopardy.â€

First, it wasn’t a sucker-punch. Did it make him look weak? Sure. But so what. Fighting him again just makes Lucic look desperate.

If I was Lucic, I’d be more concerned that I’m on pace for my lowest full-season point total since 2008-09 and that my team started the night out of the Wild Card.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...ch--in-fight-with-dalton-prout-023733155.html

Now for the bad news.

We are on a great run, 8-1-1 in our last 10. But here is why the horrible start is costing us big time.

In the last 10 games:

Rangers 8-2-0 (8 wins in a row)
Caps 7-1-2
Philly 6-2-2
Leafs 7-3-0
Panthers 6-2-2

Our run has brought some respectability, but not much closer to a play-off spot.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...ch--in-fight-with-dalton-prout-023733155.html

Now for the bad news.

We are on a great run, 8-1-1 in our last 10. But here is why the horrible start is costing us big time.

In the last 10 games:

Caps 7-1-2
Philly 6-2-2
Leafs 7-3-0
Panthers 6-2-2

Our run has brought some respectability, but not much closer to a play-off spot.

Well the one thing that isn't going to happen is all of the above teams including the Jackets continue to keep up that kind of pace.

Our hope is that the Jackets come the closest and a couple of the others (hopefully both Rangers and Caps) really tank for a prolonged stretch. Philly the most likely but they're not who we have to catch and pass.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.

Now for the bad news.

In the last 10 games:

Caps 7-1-2
Philly 6-2-2
Leafs 7-3-0
Panthers 6-2-2

On top of that, Rangers have a game on hand and the Panthers have 2 games on hand over us. We have a game on hand over the other 3 teams though.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Jack Edwards' tears are delicious.

I really don't know how all four officials miss that call, but in their defense, I didn't see a single player that knew where the puck was. Nobody had their hand up pointing to it.

About ten seconds before the goal, a CBJ player (Johnson) threw the puck up the far boards, and I thought for sure it went off Forsberg sitting on the bench. You could see him react and it looked like the puck changed direction. Oh well.

This reminded me, there was a faceoff in the Bruins' zone either late 2nd or early 3rd and I could swear the guy taking the FO for Boston used his hand to knock it back to a Bruins player. Thing was, he missed it once or twice so you could see his hand going back and forth rapidly before he hit it.

Anyone else see that?

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Awesome win, awesome game... seats were great, glad I didn't sell.

CMac decent enough - but the Bruins never really got a lot of good looks. Our D was better than usual in front of him.

Going to try and get some pics/videos up from the game.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Now for the bad news.

In the last 10 games:

Caps 7-1-2
Philly 6-2-2
Leafs 7-3-0
Panthers 6-2-2

A lot of teams must be tanking for McDavid, cause someone has to be losing those games. NYR have had light schedule. Five of their wins have been Calgary, Edmonton, Carolina (2) and New Jersey, while we've had teams like the Pens, Hawks, Lightning, Caps, Bruins and Red Wings. Not too concerned about Philly.

We've gained 3 points towards a playoff spot, maybe 5 depending on the "game in hand" since Nov 30th. We buried ourselves with two major losing streaks, it's going to take at least two major winning streaks to climb out. I could see us winning next 4 games (Minn, @ARI, @COL, @DAL), then see where we are.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
The boys played this game as well as I've ever seen as CBJ team play... It actually looked easy to tell the truth... either the league is getting worse or the CBJ are SC candidates... we will see.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The boys played this game as well as I've ever seen as CBJ team play... It actually looked easy to tell the truth... either the league is getting worse or the CBJ are SC candidates... we will see.

Don't think the league is getting worse but the Bruins sure are

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Or maybe we finally got healthy.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Or maybe we finally got healthy.

Except we haven't...yet. Our best defenseman is still on the shelf along with 3 of our better forwards, including Jenner. Remember, Bob was out as well. I'm telling you, if this team ever manages to get fully healthy they will be capable of being one of the powers of the league.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Except we haven't...yet. Our best defenseman is still on the shelf along with 3 of our better forwards, including Jenner. Remember, Bob was out as well. I'm telling you, if this team ever manages to get fully healthy they will be capable of being one of the powers of the league.

I agree but that won't be this season.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Poor Jack. Turns out he didn't know what the hell he was talking about. Honest mistake, though.

The NHL disagrees, as it wrote in a statement last night:

“At 17:43 of the second period in the Boston Bruins/Columbus Blue Jackets game, the puck appeared to hit the spectator netting in the Columbus zone and play continued until the Blue Jackets scored a goal at 19:09.

“According to Rule 85.1, play shall be stopped when the puck hits the spectator netting unless it goes unnoticed by the on-ice officials, in which case ‘play shall continue as normal and resulting play with the puck shall be deemed a legitimate play.’ Since play continued and the puck was not directed into the net as an immediate result of hitting the spectator netting, this is not a reviewable play and the on-ice decision stands - good goal Columbus.â€

The thing that NHL says it addressed in that rule tweak was the thing we saw in that Detroit vs. Los Angeles game back in January, when the puck went off the netting and then off the back of Jonathan Quick and into the net. Apparently since the Bruins’ situation didn’t directly lead to a goal … well, it counts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...-netting--jackets-score--video-150748186.html

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
LOLOLOLOL he really won that fight, didn't he?

Ian McLaren ‏@iancmclaren 7m7 minutes ago
....... "@NHLBruins: Bergeron and Lucic not on the ice for pregame skate"

thebus2288*

LOLOLOLOL he really won that fight, didn't he?

Ian McLaren ‏@iancmclaren 7m7 minutes ago
....... "@NHLBruins: Bergeron and Lucic not on the ice for pregame skate"

I made a quick comment about it in the Edwards thread...but that turnover he had on Calvert's goal was pretty brutal. I wouldn't be surprised if 1 of Prout's shots caught him good in the "middle" of the fight just after Lucic's initial flurry of punches that started it all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad