Post-Game Talk: GAME 34 - BRUINS 5 Newark 2 - McAvoy is fine

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
That was their best game of the year without a doubt. They had very good legs and they were quite physical and caused turnovers with it. Pasta was flying and dominant in the first two periods and was decent in the third. Grz had his best game of the year as well. Jake also had his best game, we need that almost every game. Good note by Jack about it being Grzelcyk's first plus game of the season! With the exceptions of Zacha, Lohrei and maybe Frederic, the rest were good too. (I am a little surprised TF had good Corsi stats because it looked to me like he floated on some shifts and flubbed a few plays.)

I hope Charlie Mc is ok. Monty is full of it when he says "it is just a stinger." Monty, like Cassidy, often lies and always tries to push his players through injuries. The best we can hope for is a mild hyperextension. Ully landed on it with almost all his weight. I am no orthopedist, but that is a pretty good guess. Get it checked, and be careful with him. He is already dinged up.

On to Detroit. Why does the league always screw us with weekend back to backs that end in Detroit? The answer is TV of course, but this is at least the second or, even third, year in a row they have done it ...Edit: it is not even a national game. What gives? P.p.s. I forgot it was New Year's Eve tomorrow. Duh. Btw, it is also my birthday.
Happy Birthday, have a great day

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Best win of the season so far, in my opinion. The Devils may not have a great record at this point into the season, but they are a good team and should be a tough matchup against the Bruins.

Our guys went down by two and our captain woke ‘em up. Dominated the game from there with five unanswered. Showed some fire with one of their more physical games. Excellent stuff all around. We know they are capable of this kind of game and it was great to see the urgency when it felt like there could have been another stinker in the books.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Merkulov with a pretty good debut against a really quick talented team. As for the game, very solid all around effort by everyone, that was a Bruins type effort that we have come to expect.
I wasn’t as impressed with Merkulov as some. Not awful. Not great. Processor is running a little slow at this level, which is something I saw when he was battling for a spot out of preseason.

However, it’s kind of what I expect. And I want to see him get some more games. Dude has a lot of talent and despite him not being naturally acclimated to the speed of the NHL game, he also didn’t do anything to hurt the team and generally was where he was supposed to be for most of the night.

I think there’s going to be a learning curve before he feels comfortable really asserting himself. And I want to see him get the chance to go through it.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Best win of the season so far, in my opinion. The Devils may not have a great record at this point into the season, but they are a good team and should be a tough matchup against the Bruins.

Our guys went down by two and our captain woke ‘em up. Dominated the game from there with five unanswered. Showed some fire with one of their more physical games. Excellent stuff all around. We know they are capable of this kind of game and it was great to see the urgency when it felt like there could have been another stinker in the books.
I thought Brad was excellent last night. What a great captain!

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I'm sure he is.

Even so, to me there has been a lack of stability throughout his tenure and many questionable coaching decisions.

No expert, and I'm not a coach, but that's the perception from my corner.

A happy sequence all the way around.
I think you are right to have your reservations of Monty, although I wanted him to get a chance at the job over others mentioned at the time, not totally sold on him , hope my initial thoughts on him stay true.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I wasn’t as impressed with Merkulov as some. Not awful. Not great. Processor is running a little slow at this level, which is something I saw when he was battling for a spot out of preseason.

However, it’s kind of what I expect. And I want to see him get some more games. Dude has a lot of talent and despite him not being naturally acclimated to the speed of the NHL game, he also didn’t do anything to hurt the team and generally was where he was supposed to be for most of the night.

I think there’s going to be a learning curve before he feels comfortable really asserting himself. And I want to see him get the chance to go through it.
I think, I am one of the few that shares your opinion, which I believe was pretty honest.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The Captain turned the game around.

First period, Pasta was horrible. 2nd period, he earned his money.

Ullmark was solid.

Power play seems better with Shattenkirk on it.

Jake getting his confidence back. Hard to believe his setup of Pasta wasn't offsides.

McAvoy has played a more conservative game since the break.

Bruins forward with the best plus/minus? Danton Heinen (+8).

McLeod is a faceoff machine.

Those Hughes boys are something else. Almost as good as their brother.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
They cannot be counted out. I learned that years ago when they came back vs the Leafs.

I was more or less joking, but now the question we should be asking what does Donnie boy do now, they do need something else if they are to make any kind of dent in this years playoffs, anu ideas.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I was more or less joking, but now the question we should be asking what does Donnie boy do now, they do need something else if they are to make any kind of dent in this years playoffs, anu ideas.
They could use a top forward, but I am not wanting to trade a net minder so who knows.

Reactions: caz16

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
They could use a top forward, but I am not wanting to trade a net minder so who knows.
I agree a forward should be in play, but I also would like a defenseman, seeing McAvoy, last night supports what I have been saying all season. I also do not want them trying to address having a # 1 center during the season, I am against going after E. Lindholm.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I just saw this on FB and wanted to share.
1704041803279.jpeg

Reactions: GordonHowe

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

spot on as usual friend

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I know its heresy for some folks to say it on this board, and nobody has mentioned it. But I thought Grizz was excellent last night.

Brick made a great point last night about how he shines against good skating teams like New Jersey, and last night, it showed.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Last night and Buff were, to me, their best games thus far this season.

I am heartened!

Even if they lose, this is the way I want my Bruins to play. Consistent, relentless forecheck. Finishing checks. A pain in the ass to play and defend against. If they do this, I'll be happy, whatever the growing pains in a transitional season.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
The team responded positively to Brad Marchand’s leadership last night. What a terrible captain.

Reactions: GordonHowe

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I know its heresy for some folks to say it on this board, and nobody has mentioned it. But I thought Grizz was excellent last night.

Brick made a great point last night about how he shines against good skating teams like New Jersey, and last night, it showed.
same. maybe his best game of the year. hopefully it continues.

Reactions: Ladyfan

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
This is the third game in a row he has looked good. Let's hope he is back to his old self.

Production last season may prove the exception, but it is very reassuring to see Lindholm play like the top pairing D he's been previously.

I think it will change but Charlie is having a rough season, and not merely relative to his play. Stupid bad hit and suspension, more than one weird injury, absorbing a lot of punishment and getting run, etc.

I hope he's okay after the latest scare, and I hope Sweeney brings in a banger to level the ice in their own zone. I'm happy with what I've seen the last two games, but they need more. They need the same up front, too. I don't want another tweener bottom six guy. They have plenty of those. Too many, actually.

The Bruins don't need another softie skill type. They need size, banging and attitude far more.

This should be relatively easy to acquire in season and would bolster the aggressive forecheck and physical game they brought against Buff & NJ.

I don't want them to slip back into the flyby's, getting pushed around, tentativeness, one and done rushes, etc.

Relentless forechecking and physical play are not easy to sustain over months of grinding hockey. But, given their talent and lack of depth, that's how they're going to win. They need more help to bring this style into focus and sustain it going forward. I hope -- hope -- Sweeney understands the need and addresses same forthwith.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad