Post-Game Talk: GAME 34 - BRUINS 5 Newark 2 - McAvoy is fine

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
They're playing much more aggressive hockey than before the break . Rest and coaching changes are a winning combo . Forhchecking and and knocking players off the puck was impressive . And powerplay is clicking along with 5on5 scoring . Tomorrow will be interesting.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
That was their best game of the year without a doubt. They had very good legs and they were quite physical and caused turnovers with it. Pasta was flying and dominant in the first two periods and was decent in the third. Grz had his best game of the year as well. Jake also had his best game, we need that every game. Good note by Jack about it being Grzelcyk's first plus game of the season! With the exceptions of Zacha, Lohrei and maybe Frederic, the rest were good too. (I am a little surprised TF had good Corsi stats because it looked to me like he floated on some shifts and flubbed a few plays.)

I hope Charlie Mc is ok. Monty is full of it when he says "it is just a stinger." Monty, like Cassidy, often lies and always tries to push his players through injuries. The best we can hope for is a mild hyperextension. Ully landed on it with almost all his weight. I am no orthopedist, but that is a pretty good guess. Get it checked, and be careful with him. He is already dinged up.

On to Detroit. Why does the league always screw us with weekend back to backs that end in Detroit? The answer is TV of course, but this is at least the second or, even third, year in a row they have done it ...Edit: it is not even a national game. What gives? P.p.s. I forgot it was New Year's Eve tomorrow. Duh. Btw, it is also my birthday.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
No, he's not.

That's what concerns me about Montgomery's minutes.

He wants to micromanage Matthews minutes, which is certainly understandable. Yet he is working his best players like pack mules. Exhaustion is not a formula for success. Especially over an 82 game season. Charlie is already beat up, Gryz, Linhome - none of them have been quite right thus far this season.

They may have their own issues, but again, it's the defensive system, or lack thereof, or fail you to execute in terms of coaching and the players, that is the problem.

You're a coach?

Coach.

I didn't want to be that guy but since you spoke up I'll take half of the bullet with you. He's very , very though especially given the game he plays .

Indestructible? The fact that he's never played a full season flies in the face of that.

Reactions: BMC and GordonHowe

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
2nd period was maybe the most entertaining period of hockey we've seen from this team all season. Great game overall. Even when down 2-0, they were still playing great. Turned it up a notch after that. I don't know if we've seen that gear all season?

Geekie gives me Chris Kelly vibes. Love how active he is at all times. Bottom-6 skill set, but enough hockey sense and ability to mesh with top-6 talent. New appreciation for his game.

Wish we could get this version of Lindholm and DeBrusk the rest of the way. Been an up and down start to the season. Mostly down IMO. Last two games back at their peak. It's there. Needs to be more consistently.

Thought Coyle and Zacha were both unusually physical. Also fantastic.

Pastrnak is an unreal talent.

BourqueFromORRk4277

formerly POPNDOUGH
Mar 25, 2010
Somerville MA
That was their best game of the year without a doubt. They had very good legs and they were quite physical and caused turnovers with it. Pasta was flying and dominant in the first two periods and was decent in the third. Grz had his best game of the year as well. Jake also had his best game, we need that every game. Good note by Jack about it being Grzelcyk's first plus game of the season! With the exceptions of Zacha, Lohrei and maybe Frederic, the rest were good too. (I am a little surprised TF had good Corsi stats because it looked to me like he floated on some shifts and flubbed a few plays.)

I hope Charlie Mc is ok. Monty is full of it when he says "it is just a stinger." Monty, like Cassidy, often lies and always tries to push his players through injuries. The best we can hope for is a mild hyperextension. Ully landed on it with almost all his weight. I am no orthopedist, but that is a pretty good guess. Get it checked, and be careful with him. He is already dinged up.

On to Detroit. Why does the league always screw us with weekend back to backs that end in Detroit? The answer is TV of course, but this is at least the second or, even third, year in a row they have done it ...Edit: it is not even a national game. What gives? P.p.s. I forgot it was New Year's Eve tomorrow. Duh. Btw, it is also my birthday.
It was actually Gryz's 5th + game of the season.

Amazingly, it was his first assist, though.

He's been pretty unlucky with the B's only shooting 5.9% when he's on the ice compared to the team average of 10%. I also remember a few goals getting called back where he would have gotten an assist. Hopefully, tonight was the start of some better luck for him.

Another amazing stat is that Gryz hasn't given up a goal on the PK this year. 24 min in 20 games, or 1:12 per game. Not bad. Of course, I probably just jinxed him.

Reactions: Ladyfan

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
His regular season record as BRUINS coach is 86-19-11. He must be doing something right.

I'm sure he is.

Even so, to me there has been a lack of stability throughout his tenure and many questionable coaching decisions.

No expert, and I'm not a coach, but that's the perception from my corner.

A happy sequence all the way around.

Reactions: Ladyfan

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Happy birthday to a favorite poster.

Enjoy responsibly,

1704007802902.png

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Both NJ goals took me by surprise but the Bruins were playing so well and had chances, just no puck luck until the second period. It was a fun game, two in a row now that felt so different than before the break. They have their confidence back.

I hope Charlie is okay, I'm not convinced at this point.

Happy Birthday to @quietbruinfan - the Bruins gave you a nice present!

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
It was actually Gryz's 5th + game of the season.

Amazingly, it was his first assist, though.

He's been pretty unlucky with the B's only shooting 5.9% when he's on the ice compared to the team average of 10%. I also remember a few goals getting called back where he would have gotten an assist. Hopefully, tonight was the start of some better luck for him.

Another amazing stat is that Gryz hasn't given up a goal on the PK this year. 24 min in 20 games, or 1:12 per game. Not bad. Of course, I probably just jinxed him.
Oops, sorry that I got that stat wrong or just misunderstood it.
I recall a couple of assists on recalled goals as well, but just vaguely. That is a good stat about his pk work. He will have some trouble in front on the pp, but his retrievals skill should more than make up for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad