Post-Game Talk: Game #33: Canucks win 2-0 against the Hurricanes || "Shutout" - John Garrett

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Brutal game to go to from a fan perspective; very boring.

Also had 4-5 Carolina fans behind us the whole time. Extremely annoying with mocking the Nucks for being divers, guy cheering Lu every time Lack made a save and just general stupidity.

So glad they didn't score.

Also:

1. Alberts should never, ever be allowed on the ice again in a Canucks uni. Guys a plug.

2. Kesler was atrocious.

3. Tanev was a beast

4. Lack was great

5. Hansen blew goats too.

However, a win is a win and that's all that matters against Oh Carolina.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Whew, Alberts looks like me playing shinny out there. Every pass is either tape to tape to the other team or bouncing around like a toddler hopped up on sugar. Im surprised at how far his play has fallen, as I was pretty happy with him as the #7 guy last year. Weird drop off.

As for the rest of the game, ya certainly can't complain about results like that. 2pts.

MrShift4

GRRRR.......Babe
Aug 17, 2011
Calgary
Happy with the win but they really need to capitalize more on their chances.

'Canes looked like a tired or disinterested team. Not a true test.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
basically back to back shutouts

5 in a row

things are good

take it in

We're going in the right direction but they can't get too happy with themselves and take their foot off the gas.

We're only 1 point ahead of Colorado and they have 5 games in hand... and only 4 points ahead of Phoenix and they have 4 games in hand. Both those teams play each other tonight and you know it's going to be a three point game. :help:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Definitely moving in the right direction. Defensively almost every shot was from the outside and hardly any rebounds.
Offensively the Kesler, Santorelli, Higgins line was pretty dominant and unlucky not to have at least one more goal. Defensively they were outstanding-all 3 of them.
If we can find someone to play with the Sedins and get both lines clicking then we are going to be a very tough team to beat. I thought Kassian looked the best with the twins in his brief stints there. Speaking of which, Kassian looked really fast last night and is starting to play with confidence at both ends. Other than that, I was impressed with Tanev and Stanton on defence. Tanev looks to be gaining some confidence in the offensive zone and is getting big minutes under Torts.

Lindt

Apr 28, 2010
Great to see the team pulling out wins without relying on the top line. Good teams have second lines and goalies that can step up and win games, and we're seeing it happen now.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
I thought Kassian looked better than anyone with the Sedins last night.

Booth just doesn't have the hockey sense and Hansen doesn't have the hands.

Time for Torts to give Kassian a few games with the twins.

The thing about Kassian is he knows how to protect the puck along the boards until he can find someone to pass it off to. He keeps his head up and his rear end stuck out and the defenders can't get it away from him, I call it "buttpuck". This fits in perfectly with the Sedins and you could see it on display during their shift together.

Earlier in the year he was making bone headed gaffs, not moving his feet at the right time and really looking out of place more often than not. Lately he seems to be making no gaffs, moving his feet more and looking like an NHL player. I can't help but think his time is getting close.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
The thing about Kassian is he knows how to protect the puck along the boards until he can find someone to pass it off to. He keeps his head up and his rear end stuck out and the defenders can't get it away from him, I call it "buttpuck". This fits in perfectly with the Sedins and you could see it on display during their shift together.

Earlier in the year he was making bone headed gaffs, not moving his feet at the right time and really looking out of place more often than not. Lately he seems to be making no gaffs, moving his feet more and looking like an NHL player. I can't help but think his time is getting close.

lolol Buttpuck.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Been getting tons more hours at work so I haven't watched much hockey lately. Seems the Canucks are getting boring, scratchy wins against pretty bad teams so I guess I'm not missing much. Also seems like the Sedins have gone cold. I watched the Nashville game and some of the Colorado game and they can't seem to do a damn thing in the offensive zone except pass the puck along the boards and hold it behind the net...as usual.

Can't wait for the Boston game on Saturday! I want to see this team tested again.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Tried to concentrate on the game as much as possible last night but it was boring. Seemed to me that the canucks limited the Canes chances and the ones they did allow was either stopped by Lack or the Canes missed the net. Lack didn't give up rebounds which helped tremendously when the Canes did get a good look. Many "dangerous" looking plays from the Canes really just ended up with a shot from the outside that Lack good see.

Pretty sleepy game but a win is a win.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I've seen enough of Booth with the Sedins, and from the sounds of Tortorella's post game comments, hopefully he has too. If you didn't catch it, in his post game presser, Torts said something like "I put Booth up there (with the Sedins) and immediately we give several 3 on 2 opportunities". He also said that Hansen and the twins have to be better.

Personally, I didn't notice the odd man rushes and the team as a whole handled Carolina in the defensive zone very well. But what was very obvious is that offense dies on David Booth's stick. He's decent off the rush and does shoot the puck (something Torts said the Sedins have to do more of), but he's terrible in traffic, doesn't protect the puck well and despite his physical size and strength, he doesn't use it to create space or win battles for the puck, and when there is space, he is late to recognize it. Finally, when he does get into a scoring spot - he doesn't have his stick on the ice.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Been getting tons more hours at work so I haven't watched much hockey lately. Seems the Canucks are getting boring, scratchy wins against pretty bad teams so I guess I'm not missing much. Also seems like the Sedins have gone cold. I watched the Nashville game and some of the Colorado game and they can't seem to do a damn thing in the offensive zone except pass the puck along the boards and hold it behind the net...as usual.

Can't wait for the Boston game on Saturday! I want to see this team tested again.

I wouldn't call the Coyotes or the Avalanche a bad team.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

People claimed the same thing last season that the team was boring, people were recently complaining torts couldnt lock down games and play defensively like av even, so either way take more chances and play more exciting and possibly blow those games, or we lock down those games where we cant score. Not every game we win is going to be a block buster.

And the boring games against avs and pheonix are not bad teams. Carolina was even on a 3 game win streak and just beat san jose.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I've seen enough of Booth with the Sedins, and from the sounds of Tortorella's post game comments, hopefully he has too. If you didn't catch it, in his post game presser, Torts said something like "I put Booth up there (with the Sedins) and immediately we give several 3 on 2 opportunities". He also said that Hansen and the twins have to be better.

Personally, I didn't notice the odd man rushes and the team as a whole handled Carolina in the defensive zone very well. But what was very obvious is that offense dies on David Booth's stick. He's decent off the rush and does shoot the puck (something Torts said the Sedins have to do more of), but he's terrible in traffic, doesn't protect the puck well and despite his physical size and strength, he doesn't use it to create space or win battles for the puck, and when there is space, he is late to recognize it. Finally, when he does get into a scoring spot - he doesn't have his stick on the ice.

The question when people say this is who do we put with the sedins? People are even more upset with hansen than booth last night, some want kassian but a crowd also thinks he has done nothing to earn that ice time.

Thats the issue here, people complain about hansen, people complain about booth, people say kassian is undeserving, we have no cut and dry solution that will please the entire fan base at the moment. We have plenty of agreement on negativite opinions on this board, but no agreeable solutions.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
The question when people say this is who do we put with the sedins? People are even more upset with hansen than booth last night, some want kassian but a crowd also thinks he has done nothing to earn that ice time.

Thats the issue here, people complain about hansen, people complain about booth, people say kassian is undeserving, we have no cut and dry solution that will please the entire fan base at the moment. He have alot of agreement on negativity opinions on this board, but no agreeable solutions.

Well I think Hansen is a better option than Booth, but I'd be willing to try Kassian. He looked to have some chemistry with the Sedins in his short appearance last year and, of late, he is skating better and more engaged in the defensive zone.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Well I think Hansen is a better option than Booth, but I'd be willing to try Kassian. He looked to have some chemistry with the Sedins in his short appearance last year and, of late, he is skating better and more engaged in the defensive zone.

Wow that was a quick quote, i was watching the blue jackets game and noticed how badly i mangled that last sentence and quickly corrected it, but not quick enough.

I like hansen to i thought he was fine with the sedins in 2012 they had a good run and at the start of this season they looked real good as well before hansen became injured.
But some people feel he never worked with the sedins and i heard that a few times last night. Im just saying nobody agrees on who should be paired with the sedins. Its almost a no win situation with burrows out. People will find issues with whoever they play with.

I also think the sedins could play a bit better, they seem to be in a bit of a funk the past two games as well.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

There was a reason why I saw him out there with the Sedins a couple of times. Now he just needs to build on this and put together at least consecutive games of simple, solid play. He's got enough offensive talent IMO to generate points, he just needs to make the simple plays below the center ice line.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
People claimed the same thing last season that the team was boring, people were recently complaining torts couldnt lock down games and play defensively like av even, so either way take more chances and play more exciting and possibly blow those games, or we lock down those games where we cant score. Not every game we win is going to be a block buster.

And the boring games against avs and pheonix are not bad teams. Carolina was even on a 3 game win streak and just beat san jose.

Every team they beat is a bad team, apparently. I also like how every game, it seems like there's this revelation that the team will have a harder time beating teams that are at the top of the standings. No ****ing kidding.

Anyway, it's an 82 game season. There's going to always be stretches where they're just showing up at the rink, clocking in, and trying to scrounge out some points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad