Post-Game Talk: Game #33: Canucks win 2-0 against the Hurricanes || "Shutout" - John Garrett

arsmaster*

Torts is so endearing in front of a microphone.

I really like him.

Cool Hand Goof*

basically back to back shutouts

5 in a row

things are good

take it in

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Torts has me doing a U-turn, he was way down my list of preferred coaches - like 3 or 4th. He's so good in the interviews, honest about players/himself/etc underperforming without sounding mean. I like what I've seen in the games.

Last edited:

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
I don't think I ever heard a coach so honest with the media. Vignealt would just laugh at the media thru half his press conference. I really appreciate the way Torts takes time and really thinks and answers the questions. Good on him!

Can't wait for the games this weekend!

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
41 points in 33 games, a 5 game winning streak, but still 9th in the West in ppg! Man the West is tough this year.

Yep. The Canucks' current point % is actually better than it was last year when they finished tied for 3rd in the conference. And 6 teams in the West currently have a better points % than the Canucks had the last time they won the President's Trophy.

I expect this year will end up like 06-07 where the 7th place team in the West had 104 points.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Full Definition of LOUSY

: infested with lice
a : totally repulsive : contemptible
b : miserably poor or inferior <got lousy grades>
c : somewhat ill <felt lousy after dinner>
d : amply supplied : replete <lousy with money>

Well, I certainly learned something tonight! We have a great backup, and new ways of using the word lousy.

Unfortunately, I meet all requirements in these definitions.

:sarcasm:
Maybe not the last one.....

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
It's an archaic use of the word "lousy" that means infested with, in this case, something good, rather than the usual meaning of being invested with lice. like lousy. Using "lousy" in this context is not all that common any longer, which is probably why you don't get it.

The archaic use is actually still in use in Sweden, common roots.
"Nedlusad med pengar", literary "Down-loused with money". It is not proper English, the "down" implies a heavy burden

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
Yep. The Canucks' current point % is actually better than it was last year when they finished tied for 3rd in the conference. And 6 teams in the West currently have a better points % than the Canucks had the last time they won the President's Trophy.

I expect this year will end up like 06-07 where the 7th place team in the West had 104 points.

Yeah, except they got handed 3rd because of a crappy division. They were really 5th.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Think you could say the team was "lousy" with good efforts in this game. Nice to see the team winning with less than stellar games out of the Sedins.

Defense has been very strong over the last while especially Tanev, Hamhuis and, to a lesser extent in this game, Garrison. Thought Bieksa stepped up his game from the other night. Stanton continues to log solid minutes but lacks the mobility of some of the others. However, very little to criticize in his play.

Lack looked very good. Looks so much more solid than he did at the beginning of last year. To me , he looks more settled than Luongo. Not better but there seems less movement.

Second line again good but Kesler did whiff on some good chances.

Liked Hansen a lot more in this game. He did a lot of good work for the Sedins. One thing I wonder is why Hansen doesn't get more PK time. Think he is a better option than the Sedins

Probably the most encouraging aspect of the game was play of Kassian. Seemed to be much more just playing rather than trying to think his way thru situations. Looked way more relaxed and focused. Showed some real bursts of speed and was getting on loose pucks better. Games like this rekindle the belief that there is potential here.

Did not like Welsh and was hoping Dalpe might see more time.

Did not think Booth was all that good but he is probably a better fit on the third line than Weise

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
:laugh:

But in all seriousness, this is an extremely boring team to watch right now.

They're getting wins, so that's nice. But it's ugly hockey.

Yeah I think it's been 5 games since I watched a full 60 minute game which never used to happen. Lately I'm falling asleep during the game and managing to wake up for the 3rd. Hate it but on the plus side I always find hockey very soothing to sleep to. Also it's exam time so I need all the naps I can get :laugh:

To be fair though it's not just this year. They've been dull for a good two years now.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Was at the game today!

I'm starting to think this 'Rogers Arena Bad Atmosphere' thing may be a little overblown. I had a great time in the upper bowl, people cheered at the right moments for the most part, and we did the wave NINE TIMES around the rink. I haven't seen a wave succeed in forever, so to have it go 9 times I thought was pretty fun.

Having said that the 'Go Canucks Go' chants didn't always sustain themselves but let's face it, this is a pretty lackluster Monday game against a mediocre opponent.

Ironic that Tanev scores on an attempted shotblock. Don't count on that happening too much more, seeing him in person makes me like his offensive instincts even less.

Glad to see us win and we did play well defensively, but again this team was lazy on the forecheck. Dump-ins were again not timed well, many forechecks were cut off by everyone with the exception of the Santo line.

Another development I don't like and was worse in person since I could watch the whole ice was the unwillingness to go to the net. Basically the guys are 'faking' it by passing it out front when we don't have a net-front presence. People will go to the front but in a no-man's land where they are not open but not close enough to get hit.

Also, the timing of going to the net is bad the few times that it happens. Basically the trailer who should be following the guy who drives the net is doing it AFTER the play has happened already. Although Booth didn't have a great game, I thought he was solid. The other winger on his line needs to know he is going to cut across and be there to pop in rebounds. More often what I see is more of a reaction instead of anticipating this move. With Booth especially it is pretty obvious when he will try. At least he is trying now.

Sedins disappointing except for 1 or 2 shifts. Still thrilling to watch though.

Great to see Lack get the shutout, but he had only 1-2 challenging saves the whole night. Canucks did a great job of forcing perimeter shots.

Pleased with Kassian's game. You can see that extra burst of speed he has when he really tries.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Was at the game today!

the unwillingness to go to the net. Basically the guys are 'faking' it by passing it out front when we don't have a net-front presence.

Pleased with Kassian's game. You can see that extra burst of speed he has when he really tries.

Very comprehensive post!

I've also noticed both those things, the net presence has been deserted since burrows went down and kesler moved to the second line.
A few posters, myself included would like to see the aforementioned kassian on the top line to provide that big body in front of the net.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Kassian and Booth are starting to show improvement. This is big!

The loss of Edler seems to have been less detrimental than feared. The others have tightened up in his absence. I am kind of surprised at Edler. I figured he was going to bloom into a superstar once he got away from Vigneault. Instead he struggles like hell and then blows a knee. It's Ballard-like!

I am not real certain this team makes the playoffs. Calling up Weber is disturbing. It seems like they are set-rostered and not looking at improvements.

tiny103

Jun 28, 2008
Ottawa
Was at the game today!

I'm starting to think this 'Rogers Arena Bad Atmosphere' thing may be a little overblown. I had a great time in the upper bowl, people cheered at the right moments for the most part, and we did the wave NINE TIMES around the rink. I haven't seen a wave succeed in forever, so to have it go 9 times I thought was pretty fun.

Still dont get the "dont lean foward" railing at the arena. the usher lady kept coming up and telling peopel to stop leaning - well if youre in to the game, youre going to be leaning forawrd. No wonder we look kind of disinsterested if all we can do is either slouch or sit up straight. No one was in the way of anyone else.

Good to see some wins - Boston will be our real test this week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad