Pre-Game Talk: Game 33 4/1 7:07 PM - THE BEAR hunts for penguins - NESN, SN, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
And yet they played some of those games without 1/3 of their regular lineup....so how do you account for that?
Majority of that was on defense, which has held up pretty decently considering. Most of our top 6 was intact, and when it wasn’t it showed the true problems of the team. Only one line can score. Marchand goes out, Bergy & Pasta are in a funk so nobody can step up because we don’t have the skill outside of that top line.

Even with the missing pieces, you barely win the game against Buffalo and lose another to NJ? Still pathetic, they played spineless of late. The record in that stretch is extremely misleading.

Hopefully last night was a wake up call to the rest of the room.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
It is not so much the record as they way they have been playing that is a concern. They could just as easily be 1-4-1 in the last 6. It the failure to show up on time, the gift goals that have been happening too often, the waiting till the last 10 minutes to start playing with some fire. That is the issue. And lest we forget, that hot start flattered the team to an extent- too many come from behind wins which is not sustainable long-term.

It could be 1-4-1 but it’s not. They’ve found ways to win with a battered up lineup that’s been featured 33% of providence players and/or waiver pick ups on any given night.

Im sure if you go through the list of teams in the league there’s plenty of examples where they were involved in nail biters or come from behind victories. This isn’t exclusive to the bruins.

Reactions: Mathews28

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
played the Sabres 2 times and Devils 2 times, blew a lead vs the Isles and squeaked by the Pens, glad they have 9 pts in those games out of 12, it`s the way this team plays nightly that worries this fan a ton, can`t really recall the last time this team strung together even a modest streak where they were clearly the better team

Bruins have dealt with so many injuries that we’ve had a providence goalie play multiple games recently, have Clifton/kampfer/tinordi playing on defense lately, have seen blidh/Kuhlman/Senyshyn/studnicka play multiple games lately and had Trent Frederic on the first line.

We are practically throwing out the providence bruins out there and still pulling out wins. Who the hell cares who we were facing under those circumstances.

a significant portion of guys playing are a mix of providence, waiver claims, 7th/8th/9th forwards, 13th-16th forwards. As well as a third string goalie.

Reactions: bbfan419

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Majority of that was on defense, which has held up pretty decently considering. Most of our top 6 was intact, and when it wasn’t it showed the true problems of the team. Only one line can score. Marchand goes out, Bergy & Pasta are in a funk so nobody can step up because we don’t have the skill outside of that top line.

Even with the missing pieces, you barely win the game against Buffalo and lose another to NJ? Still pathetic, they played spineless of late. The record in that stretch is extremely misleading.

Majority of that was on defense? Just last game we had senyshyn, blidh and kuhlman playing. Before that for a couple games we had a fourth liner in Trent Frederic playing first line LW.

It’s been the forwards, the defense and goaltending.

Reactions: Flying Whales

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Well flyers did us a huge favor by blowing it against the pathetic sabres . We can kind of cruise now and heal up for playoffs. 4 th spot doesn't bother me. Would love to nab the 3rd for security in case flyers get red hot all of a sudden. Doubt it though they really tire fire there. Once healthy anything is possible.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Majority of that was on defense? Just last game we had senyshyn, blidh and kuhlman playing. Before that for a couple games we had a fourth liner in Trent Frederic playing first line LW.

It’s been the forwards, the defense and goaltending.
Who is Senyshyn, Blidh, and Kuhlman subbing in for? Kuraly, Wagner, and Debrusk. What is that 2 goals each?

Marchand was out yes, and the whole team looked lost without him.

You may think everything is perfectly fine with this group and they’re just injured, that’s okay, I just disagree. Even when the full forward group is healthy they have had trouble scoring in the past month or so, I see that as a problem.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

I think that's mostly spot on, but I do see at least a couple of bright spots in our scoring of late. Firstly the Ritchie-Krejci-Smith line has been really starting to find a groove and both producing some decent points and dominating possession. That's been positive. I think ideally at least one of Ritchie or Smith ends up on the 3rd line making way for a new legit top 6 winger, but it's still important to see those guys finding their feet in Boston and especially to have Krejci starting to motor. The other thing has been McAvoy and Gryz starting to contribute more to scoring. We need that blueline production, and while it's only small steps and we clearly need more, at least there's something where previously there was little at all.

The team as a whole still needs to do better in a lot of areas, but I'll take just a little comfort in having a couple of things starting to go in the right direction that they can hopefully continue to build on.

Last edited:

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I didn't have as much of a problem with Tanev's hit on Tinordi as I did Wilson's hit on Carlo. But I do wonder if Cassidy puts Tinordi in at some point against the Pens in case Tinordi wants to get a chance at payback.

Did you have a problem with Tinordi’s hit on Malkin (out since) or Marchand’s crosscheck to Blueger’s neck after the whistle (out since that game). I’m just checking here.

Would be nice if both teams could escape the next two without any injuries.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
It could be 1-4-1 but it’s not. They’ve found ways to win with a battered up lineup that’s been featured 33% of providence players and/or waiver pick ups on any given night.

Im sure if you go through the list of teams in the league there’s plenty of examples where they were involved in nail biters or come from behind victories. This isn’t exclusive to the bruins.

totally true. Fans tend to be myopic. But generally what we see with our own team is not the exception. Very similar facts and circumstances, challenges and opportunities exist with a good chunk of the rest of the league.

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
Hope the young guys got Cassidy's message after last game. They need to bring some pop from the start, can't wait for Marchand to spark the team every night. We know Frederic has the ability but he's been quiet lately, I'd like to see him get back to his game. I also want Senyshyn to make a mark in one of these games, love his skating and shot first mentality but we need something to show for it sooner rather than later.

Same on the back end, I expect Lauzon to respond for his mistakes last game. Blow somebody up, get in a scrap, create some offense, do something. Too many of these guys are playing timid, waiting for something to happen then responding. Take a page from Marchand's book and make an impression.

It's nice that the top six is finally starting to come together, now we need the depth to show what they're made of.

Reactions: lopey

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Well flyers did us a huge favor by blowing it against the pathetic sabres . We can kind of cruise now and heal up for playoffs. 4 th spot doesn't bother me. Would love to nab the 3rd for security in case flyers get red hot all of a sudden. Doubt it though they really tire fire there. Once healthy anything is possible.

But now the Sabres are hot.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
It is not so much the record as they way they have been playing that is a concern. They could just as easily be 1-4-1 in the last 6. It the failure to show up on time, the gift goals that have been happening too often, the waiting till the last 10 minutes to start playing with some fire. That is the issue. And lest we forget, that hot start flattered the team to an extent- too many come from behind wins which is not sustainable long-term.

Frustrating as hell to watch, is what gets me.

Reactions: sooshii and Dr Hook

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
These two games are huge, not so much as looking up the standings, but behind us. The Rags have Buff back-to-back. I see them as bigger threat than Philly right now.

If the Bruins get a buffer on the Rags and Philly, they can let the teams above us fight for positioning and Bruins can carefully monitor ice time of veterans and even get them some games off in there with the brutal array of games down the stretch.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Bruins have dealt with so many injuries that we’ve had a providence goalie play multiple games recently, have Clifton/kampfer/tinordi playing on defense lately, have seen blidh/Kuhlman/Senyshyn/studnicka play multiple games lately and had Trent Frederic on the first line.

We are practically throwing out the providence bruins out there and still pulling out wins. Who the hell cares who we were facing under those circumstances.

a significant portion of guys playing are a mix of providence, waiver claims, 7th/8th/9th forwards, 13th-16th forwards. As well as a third string goalie.
I understand the injuries but prior to the M.A.S.H. unit starting to form, this wasn`t a team playing on point hockey, the return of bodies should help, but this team still has big holes to fill to be considered a contender IMO

Reactions: BMC

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Are you impressed with their plat over their last 6 games.

2 of those wins came against Buffalo, and 1 more against another sub .500 team.

I am impressed with their play yes. If you are going to add that two game against Buffalo and one came against New Jersey I’m going to add this:

Bruins have played lineups that have features a combination of senyshyn, kuhlman, blidh, steen, mckegg, kampfer, tinordi, Vaak and Vlader A LOT recently. With multiple of those guys going each night.

Add on to that multiple games of having a fourth liner in Frederic playing on the first line, Clifton starting who wasn’t an original top 6 defender at the start of the year.

1/3 of the team has been providence bruins players lately. I don’t care who you are facing, when you are that injured or have that many people out with Covid, any stretch of 4-1-1 is impressive.

Reactions: Mantis and smack66

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Who is Senyshyn, Blidh, and Kuhlman subbing in for? Kuraly, Wagner, and Debrusk. What is that 2 goals each?

Marchand was out yes, and the whole team looked lost without him.

You may think everything is perfectly fine with this group and they’re just injured, that’s okay, I just disagree. Even when the full forward group is healthy they have had trouble scoring in the past month or so, I see that as a problem.

Tell me what their record was early in the year when mostly everyone was healthy. I think that’s a far better depiction of the team.

Could they add a 2nd line winger and a depth piece? Yes, but also every contender adds at the deadline because no matter how good you are, you have holes. Hell, the lightning have been one of the best teams in the league for years and they still have holes and add at the deadline.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Tell me what their record was early in the year when mostly everyone was healthy. I think that’s a far better depiction of the team.

Could they add a 2nd line winger and a depth piece? Yes, but also every contender adds at the deadline because no matter how good you are, you have holes. Hell, the lightning have been one of the best teams in the league for years and they still have holes and add at the deadline.
Your not wrong. I believe the cup winning team of 2011 had two huge win streaks and a losing streak.

This 19 game stretch of subpar play can absolutely be remedied with a big run to finish the season while getting hot at the right time. I just don't see the past six games as an indication that has started. It has me hoping the switch is flipped. We have seen some good shifts, but I want to see a 3 game stretch of dominance that really puts a stamp on our identity. Right now I can not tell you what that is. Solid defensively, good in transition but not great, and absolutely reliant to a first line and a solid pp for offense.

When we have a stretch that overcomes these concerns people will still complain even when it is unreasonable. But we haven't reached that point yet. We could be just as easily whistling past the graveyard here rather then starting a hot stretch. The tea leaves are clearly ambiguous.

Reactions: sooshii and kjpm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad