GDT: Game 32: Flames @ Coyotes - 7PM - FSAZ

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If Tippett's late game plan was to hope for a White shot from the boards to somehow trickle in, then you're right -- he's a genius.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Smith has played in 8 consecutive games, in 15 games out of the last 16.

I know Domingue has been bad but this feels like a countdown til the next Smith injury.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Play Smith less and he won't get hurt as much. A goalie with a history of groin issues playing high 60s GP is insane. I'd like to see 55ish for Smith and 25ish for Domingue.

Smith GP:
2012 67 (missed six games with groin, so played 67/76)
2013 34 (of 48 games, short season, also missed 6 games to groin injury, 34/42)
2014 62 (missed last 10 games injured)
2015 62 (relatively healthy)
2016 32 (missed a few early and last 40 to injury)

Turco was routinely ridden into the 70s when healthy under Tippett. It's unlikely to change.

This coach cannot adapt. He cannot change. He can't play a backup if it means a lesser chance of making a single save or a single win. He has no ability to take the long view even within the season itself, nevermind the broader future. He will play Smith 60+ games if Smith is healthy enough to take it. He doesn't care that rested goaltenders are typically better and less likely to be injured. He only cares that Smith is better than the backup in this next game.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
The guy I sat next to last night was a hard core Coyotes fan. Hard core. He knew so much about the team going back years. He seemed not to go to too many games in person but was still a huge fan. During the game he said, "the Coyotes are making it really hard to stay a fan of this team." As the game ended he was very quiet and looked pissed. I imagine he is still a fan but to make your fans go though this one year is bad but 4 years is absolute torture.

Does the Coyotes ownership give a ****? Are they so bought into the Tippett system they are blind to everything else around them? Are they purposefully putting fans through **** to make it easier to relocate the team?

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
This coach cannot adapt. He cannot change. He can't play a backup if it means a lesser chance of making a single save or a single win. He has no ability to take the long view even within the season itself, nevermind the broader future. He will play Smith 60+ games if Smith is healthy enough to take it. He doesn't care that rested goaltenders are typically better and less likely to be injured. He only cares that Smith is better than the backup in this next game.

He's the worst!

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The way Domingue has played this year, I'd only give him a game when we have back to backs. And that's just to prevent an injury to Smitty. I have no interest in watching Domingue.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's Tip & Smith. Feels like business as usual to me.

Rode Turco into the ground, may as well do it with Smith.

DT coaches like a coach that is afraid to be fired, rather than somebody that is entrenched in his role. I would drop a lot of my criticism of him if he'd just loosen up his approach a bit. Stop being hyperactive with lineup and line tweaks, let Domingue get in a bit more so you don't shatter Smith. When he loses, the strange moves and decisions are as predictable as they are bad. A lot of the inconsistency starts with him.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
When he loses, the strange moves and decisions are as predictable as they are bad. A lot of the inconsistency starts with him.

I could be way off, but this reminded me of the "this isn't a developmental league" comment he made however long ago. It all makes me think he believes something either works or it doesn't, with little or no allowance for adjustment or improvement over time. It's easy to see where that approach could mess with experienced veterans, never mind younger players still trying to find their way. What do you think? Too much armchair psychology?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You're either ready to play for Tippett and capable of utilizing his system or you're not. It is seemingly a yes or no answer only.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Was it you who is boycotting the games or RT? If it is you, you probably don't see the defense making bone headed pass after bone headed pass in their own end. You don't see them going cowboy and ignoring their responsibilities and positioning. You don't see them failing to regain puck control behind their own goal as the other team cycles. Other teams maintain possession in our zone for so long that by the time we regain control we have to dump the puck and change lines. Our defense is anything but fine.

And none of that has anything to do with Playfair. :popcorn:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Was it you who is boycotting the games or RT? If it is you, you probably don't see the defense making bone headed pass after bone headed pass in their own end. You don't see them going cowboy and ignoring their responsibilities and positioning. You don't see them failing to regain puck control behind their own goal as the other team cycles. Other teams maintain possession in our zone for so long that by the time we regain control we have to dump the puck and change lines. Our defense is anything but fine.

I watch the games. When a team does this repeatedly, over several seasons, even with new personnel, it's on the coaches.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I watch the games. When a team does this repeatedly, over several seasons, even with new personnel, it's on the coaches.

The last time I saw so many errant passes was when Yandle was on the team. This is like the ghost of Ol' Mishandle Yandle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad