GDT: Game 32: Flames @ Coyotes - 7PM - FSAZ

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
It took as 18 and a half minutes to get a single shot in the second, we played only 3 of the rookies tonight, and with 10 minutes to go had only played Dvorak for 6 minutes despite having a goal, an assist, a perfect shooting percentage, and a perfect faceoff win ratio.

It's going so much more negative and poorly, than I could possibly imagine.

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I hope that both Perlini and DeAngelo draw in next game. I want to see both get PP time. Our PP was pathetic. To me we were very week on the points and it was our D that let the team down. On 5-5 our forwards had more than their share of turnovers. I am truly sick of watching defensive zone and neutral zone turn overs.

I'm also really tired of hearing Luke the Eunuch talk about how talented the opposing team was and so how we weren't expected to win. Yech. I don't know why I listen to him on the way home. I blame this on the Coyotes, too. They clearly want an apologist to do the post game. Its no wonder that Luke seems two stones short of a full sack. Wonder how the Coyotes put up with Boynton. He's make a great post game host.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It took as 18 and a half minutes to get a single shot in the second, we played only 3 of the rookies tonight, and with 10 minutes to go had only played Dvorak for 6 minutes despite having a goal, an assist, a perfect shooting percentage, and a perfect faceoff win ratio.

It's going so much more negative and poorly, than I could possibly imagine.

I lied. He was 50%. 3 for 6. Must be why the early goal wasn't enough to get him out there.

Everything else is just everything I feared about the Tippocracy coming true. He is going to stunt or ruin them, and we'll be the Oilers. There, I said it.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I lied. He was 50%. 3 for 6. Must be why the early goal wasn't enough to get him out there.

Everything else is just everything I feared about the Tippocracy coming true. He is going to stunt or ruin them, and we'll be the Oilers. There, I said it.

It's not like any other Center would be better at Faceoffs. We have Hanzal and the rest is usually below 50%. Nr.2 and 3 would probably be White and Jooris, but they're playing on the Wing. Holland and Martinook are terrible. Just give Dvorak a shot. He's gonna learn quickly.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
This season:

Dvorak: 44,0%
Martinook: 42,5%
Holland: 41,5%

There you go....

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It doesn't matter what the kids do. They don't have the "stability" of the "proven" Hollands and Jooris's of the world. We're obviously a much better team when we don't make development our focus, so I can see why we keep doing this...

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
Entertaining physical game by both sides. A lot of scrums, you can tell the referees were getting sick of it.

It sucks to lose this one but I'd take losses like that instead of the dull crap we dealt with in the beginning of the year.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Marinook has been an turnover machine over the last few games

I think he is overthinking things because he has been given far too much responsibility. Can we just come to terms he is a 4th liner who can slot up if needed? We are so jammed at LW and if Perlini can make the jump next season Reider needs to play on his off-wing or we need to move Martinook.

Domi
Rieder
Perlini
Crouse
Martinook is how I see our LW depth next season. He has been a great surprise but the shine is fading. Reider looks to be a career 3rd liner that can slot up a line and is fantastic on the PK. Martinook is the same but a notch lower skill wise.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Domi
Rieder
Perlini
Crouse
Martinook is how I see our LW depth next season. He has been a great surprise but the shine is fading. Reider looks to be a career 3rd liner that can slot up a line and is fantastic on the PK. Martinook is the same but a notch lower skill wise.

One or two of those guys will probably end up playing their off wing out of necessity, probably Rieder and Perlini

Near future:
Domi - Strome - Duclair
Crouse - Keller - Perlini
Martinook - Dvorak - Rieder
McGinn - Richardson - Fischer

Not bad. Playstyles fit. Picks and development will change things but that's probably the future. I'd watch that, DT or not.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Game was competitive. Outcome was the only negative. Tale of two periods 1st and 2nd. Team was chippy. Smith and white played mad. Crouse on top line made Vrbata suck air all night and skate more than I've seen him in long time. Dvorak had points. Also turnovers. He's learning fellas.

Nothing is going as poorly or as negative as you guys think it is. For the team as whole, or any individual player. We figured we'd be a bottom 5 team this year. We are. We have youth breaking into roster. Growing pains.

Positivity :)

Agreed, plenty of positives, yet this is the usual narrative:

Tip is a bad coach and should be fired. Tip didn't play (scratched), pick your rookie, or play, pick your rookie, enough minutes, on a higher line. Same comments, same posters, different GDT, win or lose:) Coyotes are the worst team ever. Repeat....

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Aside from that WTF 5-on-3, I thought this was Goligoski's best game yet. He's gotten better the last few games in particular.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
It doesn't matter what the kids do. They don't have the "stability" of the "proven" Hollands and Jooris's of the world. We're obviously a much better team when we don't make development our focus, so I can see why we keep doing this...

You do realize that part of having the Holland's and Jooris's of the world is to make our team better overall, right?

I get that you want Dvorak and some of the other rookies to play in place of Holland or Jooris. Again, it comes down to earning that spot and having talent on the roster. Every day in practice, these players do get to battle against players who have played in the NHL for a little while, albeit with limited results. I would much rather have Jooris and Holland on the team vs the 28 year old plug for the simple fact that not every player makes it on the big stage, and what does it hurt to have young players who can compete and push each other? Mad b/c Dvorak isn't getting a start over Holland? That's on him to earn it.

Let's say that we want Dvorak as a 2nd/3rd line C in the future. But his development stalls - now we have players like Holland or Jooris who may fit into that 2nd/3rd line C mold if there is a failure in development.

People are overstating our talent level at the moment - we are starting to close the gap there. But we are still further behind than people think in that regard. So, we add talent to get everyone ready to play for the future. Is that too hard to figure out?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Aside from that WTF 5-on-3, I thought this was Goligoski's best game yet. He's gotten better the last few games in particular.

Agreed, he's gotten better as the year to gone on. It's also a good sign that he had a good game away from DeAngelo, before his best games were when he was paired with him.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Agreed, he's gotten better as the year to gone on. It's also a good sign that he had a good game away from DeAngelo, before his best games were when he was paired with him.

He had a really good game the other day, and showed some life last night. Still not worried about him.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Game was competitive? No it wasn't. The Coyotes played their best hockey of the year for the first 10 minutes, and then it all fell apart until the 3rd period. Same old stories - unforced turnovers, missing the net, stupid penalties due to being beaten on individual battles.

I'm really not convinced that we have what it takes moving forward. We need a lot of help on defense.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The defense is fine. It's no worse or better than a dozen other teams. What's needed is an approach to offense that can generate sustained pressure. Being 'dominant' for a 5-10 minute stretch once a game, if that, isn't going to cut it.

Have to throw DT overboard for that to happen. Playfair as well.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
I'll never understand why you want the fourth line out there with 4 minutes left, down by a goal. It just doesn't compute. In my mind, the fourth line doesn't exist in the last 5 minutes, when you have to have a goal.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I'll never understand why you want the fourth line out there with 4 minutes left, down by a goal. It just doesn't compute. In my mind, the fourth line doesn't exist in the last 5 minutes, when you have to have a goal.

Vrbata is cold. Hanzal is cold. Reider is cold. Arguably the 4th line has been the team's best line for a while.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
The defense is fine. It's no worse or better than a dozen other teams. What's needed is an approach to offense that can generate sustained pressure. Being 'dominant' for a 5-10 minute stretch once a game, if that, isn't going to cut it.

Have to throw DT overboard for that to happen. Playfair as well.

Was it you who is boycotting the games or RT? If it is you, you probably don't see the defense making bone headed pass after bone headed pass in their own end. You don't see them going cowboy and ignoring their responsibilities and positioning. You don't see them failing to regain puck control behind their own goal as the other team cycles. Other teams maintain possession in our zone for so long that by the time we regain control we have to dump the puck and change lines. Our defense is anything but fine.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
I'm rolling my cold lines out there. At least you have a chance of sparking something. Playing the fourth on the off chance that you least potent scorers will overcome the other team's best defenders? It makes no sense.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
L
Game was competitive? No it wasn't. The Coyotes played their best hockey of the year for the first 10 minutes, and then it all fell apart until the 3rd period. Same old stories -

We play a good 20 minutes in a game. The rest of the game we are completely outclassed. Outshot by a factor of two or three. The roster changes. The GM changes. The only thing that doesn't change is our coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad