GDT: Game 32: Coyotes @ Blackhawks - FSAZ - 5PM

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Our premium prospect has played a total of 14 games since September. 2 and a half hours of actual game time in over two months. This is ****ing ridiculous.
So far he’s played 14/31 games this season (45%) and soon to be 14/32 (43%). He’s averaged 11:08 TOI per game, which is good for dead-last on the team. No Coyote skater has averaged fewer minutes per game. There are 360 forwards in the NHL with at least 10gp this season who have averaged more ice time per game.

rt

May 13, 2004
I disagree. They've taken the pressure off of him as our 1C savior, protected him and let him learn at the NHL level through practices and the occasional game. He also gets NHL level nutrition and most importantly, training. IMO he isn't strong enough yet to go day after day.

The Coyotes are handling him just right.
Hmmm...I’m not buying the strength thing. I’d bet a lot of money that he’s physically stronger than at least 50% of forwards on this team.

rt

May 13, 2004
Ehh, Hayton is still practicing with NHL players. That has value. So too does sitting in the video sessions. I suspect we'll send him to the WJC and then go from there.
I’d be shocked if we send him to the WJC. I can’t picture Chayka making a decision like that. It’s very un-Chayka.

I will say I think Chayka is probably surprised that we haven’t had more injuries to our forward group. We’ve only played 13 forwards this season. And we’re 32 games in. That’s pretty remarkable. And the #1 reason Hayton hasn’t played many games.

Reactions: Lawson of Anarchy

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Hmmm...I’m not buying the strength thing. I’d bet a lot of money that he’s physically stronger than at least 50% of forwards on this team.

I agree with this...he seems to do just fine in the corners, a lot better than some of our other guys. I have no idea what sorta development plan they have except for the fact I know it involves not playing him. Ok, we're going to let you get better by not playing you. It doesn't make any sense, especially since we need more skill to create offense, and quite frankly he's created offense when he's gotten playing time.

But hey, I think it's always good to keep those 'skill' guys on the bench. :sarcasm:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I do find it amusing that we were in a collective panic when Strome was being off and on scratched and was sent back by the end of November. Yet Hayton is up here longer, has burnt an ELC year, will not be sent back, and it's mostly met with shrugs and a little consternation :laugh:.

Maybe one day we'll have a hit forward prospect on day one that doesn't regress after year 1 and suck for 2 years before being traded.

Reactions: Fuhrious

rt

May 13, 2004
I agree with this...he seems to do just fine in the corners, a lot better than some of our other guys. I have no idea what sorta development plan they have except for the fact I know it involves not playing him. Ok, we're going to let you get better by not playing you. It doesn't make any sense, especially since we need more skill to create offense, and quite frankly he's created offense when he's gotten playing time.

But hey, I think it's always good to keep those 'skill' guys on the bench. :sarcasm:
Would be nice if they at least had him on like an NCAA schedule where he played weekend games, and took the week to learn, train, practice and prepare. But I guess he has played 44% of possible games so far. So it’s pretty close to the same.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
OK, if the plan is to limit Hayton to 40 games (is that 39 games? Or 40?).

They also has to factor in playoff-games counts, right?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I do find it amusing that we were in a collective panic when Strome was being off and on scratched and was sent back by the end of November. Yet Hayton is up here longer, has burnt an ELC year, will not be sent back, and it's mostly met with shrugs and a little consternation :laugh:.

Maybe one day we'll have a hit forward prospect on day one that doesn't regress after year 1 and suck for 2 years before being traded.

Probably because Hayton is early and beloved by management. Strome was overcooked and clearly in the doghouse. Hayton is also getting chances with skill players, not stapled to the 4th line.

The team is deep enough to credibly keep him out of the lineup, which is a good problem to have. Nobody is clearly trash that shouldn't be playing.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Our premium prospect has played a total of 14 games since September. 2 and a half hours of actual game time in over two months. This is ****ing ridiculous.
I wouldn't say it's ridiculous to only play 14 games in just over 2 months. If this continues, he'll play about as much as a NCAA player. Even though I'd like him to play more I don't think we should worry.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Maybe they want him to play the game a certain way that requires him to add a bit of strength. Maybe where he's at now in terms of strength and footspeed, he has to cheat a bit on his own playing style to keep up.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Playing is always more valuable than not playing. I'd rather see Hayton destroy the OHL, AHL, ECHL, FHL, KHL, whatever than have him sit in the press box for a season. We always take this approach and it's baffling. Perlini and Strome played less than a full season in the AHL their entire time as a Coyote.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Morgan Frost who was Hayton’s teammate at SOO and probably knows him better than any of us...

“I don’t think it’s affecting him too much,” he said. “He knows he’s good enough to be in an NHL lineup so he’ll just keep working.”

Frost knows that plenty of people back in the Soo would like to see Hayton return for one season, many of whom believe the Coyotes are stunting Hayton’s development. He does not agree.

“Not a chance,” he said. “His game is too mature, he’s too skilled and he’s too strong to go play down there. I don’t think that would benefit him too much, to be honest.

“The Soo has a really good development program, it’s a great staff, it’s always a great group of guys and I learned so much there. It’s a really good environment, but like I said, for a guy like Barrett, I don’t think it would benefit him.”

Reactions: MIG

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I would completely understand the logic of Hayton being too good for the OHL if he was playing in the NHL. But with him sitting out most nights and last year's OHL stats not record breaking I'm not sure his development is currently being handled correctly.

Reactions: moosemeister

rt

May 13, 2004
Seems to me Hayton gets knocked off the puck a bit.
Inexperienced against bigger stronger competition, maybe? Learning to utilize leverage or simply adjusting to the surprising or at least unfamiliar size and strength of his competition, perhaps? Slowly realizing he can so longer simply impose his will at his leisure?

I mean, the kid is a horse.

rt

May 13, 2004
Playing is always more valuable than not playing. I'd rather see Hayton destroy the OHL, AHL, ECHL, FHL, KHL, whatever than have him sit in the press box for a season. We always take this approach and it's baffling. Perlini and Strome played less than a full season in the AHL their entire time as a Coyote.
He’s not eligible to play in the AHL otherwise that’s where he’d be. He literally can’t play in that league. He’s not allowed

rt

May 13, 2004
I wouldn't say it's ridiculous to only play 14 games in just over 2 months. If this continues, he'll play about as much as a NCAA player. Even though I'd like him to play more I don't think we should worry.
Yeah, look at Quinn Hughes. I’m his draft year he played 37 games for Michigan (a full schedule given international play) 7 WJC games and 10 WC games. Then the next season he played 34 UM games, 5 NHL games, 7 WJC games and 7 WC games.

Nobody thought only playing 50ish games a year was killing Quinn’s development.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
He’s not eligible to play in the AHL otherwise that’s where he’d be. He literally can’t play in that league. He’s not allowed

Just an example. I'd rather see him destroy the OHL right now. He's obviously not going to go to the ECHL or KHL either.

Reactions: rt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad