Post-Game Talk: GAME 32 - Bruins are in a Yule Fog - Wild 3 BRUINS 2

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Why’s everyone think this is a Monty problem?
Bruins have like 3 good forwards. And a bunch of 3rd/4th liners.
That’s not on the coach.
Agreed. But fans of most teams want the quickest and easiest solution... it's easier to change a coach than to solve deep seeded roster problems. It's why you see Sabres fans say their problem is Granato or OTT blaming Smith (who did in fact suck... but the team still has flaws beyond that).

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Since Forbort has been out on 12-03:

GA/G: 3.25
PK%: 75.8%

Just wondering where the posters are at now who were dunking on him after the team went 100% on the PK after 3 games? Maybe time to agree he's more of steadying factor than people want to admit?

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
Since Forbort has been out on 12-03:

GA/G: 3.25
PK%: 75.8%

Just wondering where the posters are at now who were dunking on him after the team went 100% on the PK after 3 games? Maybe time to agree he's more of steadying factor than people want to admit?
Two of the three problems pointed out by TDCharlie will be helped with a Forbort return: inability to clear the puck and inability to clear the front of the net.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
This team has fallen down to the earth.

Pasta is getting Krejci treatment having to play with Heinen on the same line.
Neither Zacha nor Coyle are good enough for a top line center resp. 2nd line center position. They are inconsistent in generating offense night in and night out.
Zacha with 2A in last 5 games, Coyle with no points in last 5 games.
Each should be a line lower.
Besides Pasta and aging Marchand there is not a true top 6 skill level winger on the roster, just an endless list of role players randomly spread across the lines.

Defense is the real trouble with this team. We have seen it in the Panthers series when the game got more physical they all fell apart.
A good D-man should be physical, mobile and skilled.

McAvoy has to be the biggest disappointment. Pairing him with Gryz has made him worse than he was 3 years ago. He was supposed to be the alpha dog but his game has regressed. He should be hitting his prime at 26. He got abused in the Panthers series, not good in the Hurricanes or Islanders series in the previous years either.

Lindholm is becoming Lindholm of Ducks. Soft, uninspired and useless.

Carlo, playing soft is not a good sign in the regular season.

Forbort, is good for PK otherwise useless.

The rest of D-men either have no skill or size or both.
Yet we still first place in Atlantic. Panic everyone.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Why’s everyone think this is a Monty problem?
Bruins have like 3 good forwards. And a bunch of 3rd/4th liners.
That’s not on the coach.
Exactly the point I want to make . Coaches have strength's and weaknesses just like players.

JM was excellent with a veteran team and top centers . It doesn't take a lot of innovative coaching with that roster

In the playoffs with a influx on different players he seemed to falter.

A coach has to match his coaching style to adapt to the current roster . Some but not all coaches are able to adapt.

The team is different from last years roster and innovative coaching is needed.
Can JM handle it?
No one is expecting any coach would turn this team into a cup winner but changes are needed.

We will see in the next 50 games.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
B’s will more than likely have one guy (Pasta) over ppg by the end of the year.
Pretty easy to shut down a team when you have one or two guys who can score.

Team lacks skill and creativity. Try to force way too much. Not fast enough to forcheck.

If they didn’t get hot goaltending the first 20 games, their record would not be good.

Last couple games have been so boring to watch. Like watching men vs boys
And punch, they lack PUNCH! No will to win, no ambition or aggression. No PUNCH! The coach is a ra-ra cheerleader, the players aren't leaders, they're followers who have a problem following Brad f'ing Marchand when he tries to lead by example. WTF is that!?!

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
Exactly the point I want to make . Coaches have strength's and weaknesses just like players.

JM was excellent with a veteran team and top centers . It doesn't take a lot of innovative coaching that roster

A coach has to match his coaching style to adapt to the current roster . Some but not all coaches are able to adapt.

Can JM handle it?
No one is expecting any coach would turn this team into a cup winner but changes are needed.

How does ANY coach win games without 2 top six centers? Let alone be first in the Atlantic?

This is a roster with major holes vacated by two phenomenal veteran centers.

Bruins need to deal for Lindholm now, and figure out if any of our centers in our whole system can be a bonafide 2C, end of story.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
B’s will more than likely have one guy (Pasta) over ppg by the end of the year.
Pretty easy to shut down a team when you have one or two guys who can score.

Team lacks skill and creativity. Try to force way too much. Not fast enough to forcheck.

If they didn’t get hot goaltending the first 20 games, their record would not be good.

Last couple games have been so boring to watch. Like watching men vs boys

Same as last year.

The Bruins have had great teams for over a decade. Luckily, they brought home one cup. Should have brought 2 or 3 cups home, but if we’re going to be honest, the Bruins have choked throughout their history. Now, they have just an ok team. It’s just the way things go in sports. No team stays great forever.

You mean could have, not should have.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

JM was excellent with a veteran team and top centers . It doesn't take a lot of innovative coaching with that roster

Can JM handle it?

What are some strategic innovations that you think would be good for this team to adopt given their specific personnel?

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Don cant ignore the signs. They need to play better tough harder. Record is a bit deceiving. Too many passengers. We gave 2 players in offence. No depth scoring. Lindholm has been subpar this year. Macavoy has been a disappointment. I thought he would start dominating. Not much i need to day about Debrusk. Made my position on him clear.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
What are some strategic innovations that you think would be good for this team to adopt given their specific personnel?
The most recent example would be last nights 6 on 5 and their inability to get in the OZ and once in there to what to do. There are different and effective ways, rebounding off the backboards putting the puck on net from the blue line in anticipation of a rebound or a face off in the OZ etc.
That's on the coaching staff. Just trying something different

A plan to get the puck out of DZ , that's on the coaching staff. Most teams have a more or less choreographed plan . The Bruin's don't. Although I did see some minor improvement last night.

There are other areas where innovation is needed. PP and zone entry.

Baby steps just make the best adjustments the team can handle but just don't keep trying the same plan of action.

I just keep seeing the same problems with no corrections.

The Wild's are a good example of different coaching styles that work

Reactions: Gordoff

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Didn’t say it sucks when they win. The goalie hug thing needs to go away now. Overdone, childish and embarrassing at this point.
Don’t disagree.
6 points separating first and eighth in the conference I believe,Bruins will need to start winning more or they won’t be their for much longer,believe ninth is only 2 back also.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
And punch, they lack PUNCH! No will to win, no ambition or aggression. No PUNCH! The coach is a ra-ra cheerleader, the players aren't leaders, they're followers who have a problem following Brad f'ing Marchand when he tries to lead by example. WTF is that!?!
Is Brads leading by example taking bad penalties at the worst times? Cuz that’s all I see him doing if things aren’t going the Bruins way….

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The most recent example would be last nights 6 on 5 and their inability to get in the OZ and once in there to what to do. There are different and effective ways, rebounding off the backboards putting the puck on net from the blue line in anticipation of a rebound or a face off in the OZ etc.

A plan to get the puck out of DZ , that's on the coaching staff. Most teams have a more or less choreographed plan . The Bruin's don't. Although I did see some minor improvement last night.

Baby steps just make the best adjustments the team can handle but just don't keep trying the same plan of action.

No its not.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

What you see as a systems failure, I see as a specific talent failure. Poitras is probably their most creative C right now (though he may be lacking in other areas until he gets more games under his belt). That's going to limit their effectiveness in zone entry. If they decide to dump it in, they don't really have a lot of effective F1s to retrieve the puck. Basically if it's not Pasta or Marchand on the rush, they aren't really effective. I think that's a talent issue. Guys like Zacha, JVR, Coyle and JVR are going to be more effective in a possession cycling game and coaching isn't going to improve their handle or passing skills.

Playing for faceoffs also might not be a great strategy. MIN is bad at faceoffs, but yet won the faceoff battle last night. Their best faceoff guy recently is Beecher and he's probably not the C you want out down 1 late in the game when you need some creativity.

We both compltely agree on the same problems with no corrections. But I see when I see a D have the puck on his stick and make a boneheaded giveaway that should've been coached out of him in JR, I'm not blaming the coach for that.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I don’t know I think game 7 at home to the Blues was a should have.I remember an interview with Orr and Esposito where they said they should have won more cups with the team they had ,not that they could.

Yes, teams that had Bobby Orr and Phil Esposito should have won more.

Recent teams, not so much. Hell, the 2011 team that did win the Cup were fortunate to do so.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Yes, teams that had Bobby Orr and Phil Esposito should have won more.

Recent teams, not so much. Hell, the 2011 team that did win the Cup were fortunate to do so.
I still say St.Louis was a must ,pretty sure every Bruins player on that roster said we should have won probably still saying that.Hey just my opinion we don’t have to agree.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
What you see as a systems failure, I see as a specific talent failure. Poitras is probably their most creative C right now (though he may be lacking in other areas until he gets more games under his belt). That's going to limit their effectiveness in zone entry. If they decide to dump it in, they don't really have a lot of effective F1s to retrieve the puck. Basically if it's not Pasta or Marchand on the rush, they aren't really effective. I think that's a talent issue. Guys like Zacha, JVR, Coyle and JVR are going to be more effective in a possession cycling game and coaching isn't going to improve their handle or passing skills.

Playing for faceoffs also might not be a great strategy. MIN is bad at faceoffs, but yet won the faceoff battle last night. Their best faceoff guy recently is Beecher and he's probably not the C you want out down 1 late in the game when you need some creativity.

We both compltely agree on the same problems with no corrections. But I see when I see a D have the puck on his stick and make a boneheaded giveaway that should've been coached out of him in JR, I'm not blaming the coach for that.
I'm just a fan pointing out my observations.
I'm not asking for agreement . It is what it is

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad