Post-Game Talk: GAME 32 - Bruins are in a Yule Fog - Wild 3 BRUINS 2

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
JVR has 5 points in his last 6 games. That’s probably top 3 or 4 on the roster during that stretch. Not sure id call that invisible
There's points and there's points. How has the team looked the last 6? Maybe its real recency bias on my part, but he hasn't appeared to be doing what he was doing in the first few weeks of the season. A few assists are fine, but previously he was a lot more active, getting chances, forechecking with some jam. Not sure I heard his name mentioned at all last night, for example, except for a turnover.

He is not a primary culprit for the poor play, but he's part of it, and I am not ready to get on the 'keep him past this season' wagon just yet.

Reactions: Gordoff

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
There's points and there's points. How has the team looked the last 6? Maybe its real recency bias on my part, but he hasn't appeared to be doing what he was doing in the first few weeks of the season. A few assists are fine, but previously he was a lot more active, getting chances, forechecking with some jam. Not sure I heard his name mentioned at all last night, for example, except for a turnover.

He is not a primary culprit for the poor play, but he's part of it, and I am not ready to get on the 'keep him past this season' wagon just yet.

If we are talking about players looking invisible there’s about 12+ other guys who have been way worse. At least he’s putting up offensive numbers which the vast majority of the team isnt

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If we are talking about players looking invisible there’s about 12+ other guys who have been way worse. At least he’s putting up offensive numbers which the vast majority of the team isnt

Yes I know, but Don the Godfather specifically mentioned keeping JvR, thus why I posted about him. He's not the top of my list of players that are an issue right now, but I am also not real interested in retaining the guy after this season based on how its gone for the past few weeks with him.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Yes I know, but Don the Godfather specifically mentioned keeping JvR, thus why I posted about him. He's not the top of my list of players that are an issue right now, but I am also not real interested in retaining the guy after this season based on how its gone for the past few weeks with him.

So you wouldn’t keep jvr for $1m next year? He’s incredible value at that number. One of the best contracts currently in the league.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Next year. 25 million to spend. Other than Heinen I let all the other UFA's walk
I would think that has been part of the problem in the past. We let too many UFA's walk and got nothing in return. At some point a depletion of draft picks is going to hurt a team. Poor drafting is the other. Debrusk, Grzelcyk, JVR, Shattenkirk, Forbort and maybe Ullmark should all be available at the trade deadline. This is not a year that they have much of a chance to win the Cup. They have some players in Providence that can fill the holes or trade for players with term. That would be a mini rebuild with additional cap space to go hard for incoming UFA's for next year. Players like Hanifin, Lindholm, Montour, Guentzel, Reinhart, Bertuzzi, Henrique, etc. would be some of the players to consider for the future.

Last edited:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
So you wouldn’t keep jvr for $1m next year? He’s incredible value at that number. One of the best contracts currently in the league.

Provided he would play again at that number, possibly, but I want to wait and see how he finishes at his age and with that lack of footspeed. It might be better to keep $1m and the roster spot.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The thing I'll say for Geekie is at least he's creating and getting involved in scoring chances. 6 SOG in a game where no other forward other than Pasta could muster more than 1 is a good return. Shame he couldn't pot another, but he's a bottom 6 forward for a reason and lack of finish is basically a prerequisite for being signed by Sweeney. He's got a good motor though and he competes consistently. Been far and away one of the better performers of the last 2-3 weeks. As a centre, despite the faceoff issues, he's definitely outplayed Coyle of late. Good for him, but otherwise that's a problem both for Charlie and the Bruins as a whole.

Agreed.

Geekie does make himself a factor in the game most nights.

In my opinion Heinen can go too. Give sometime to a providence player. One last note JVR is too slow for this nhl

And yet he is third in scoring for the Bruins and a plus player.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I would think that has been part of the problem in the past. We let too many UFA's walk and got nothing in return. At some point a depletion of draft picks is going to hurt a team. Poor drafting is the other. Debrusk, Grzelcyk, JVR, Shattenkirk, Forbort and maybe Ullmark should all be available at the trade deadline. This is not a year that they have much of a chance to win the Cup. They have some players in Providence that can fill the holes or trade for players with term. That would be a mini rebuild with additional cap space to go hard for incoming UFA's for next year. Players like Hanifin, Lindholm, Montour, Guentzel, Reinhart, Bertuzzi, Henrique, etc. would be some of the players to consider for the future.

Not since the first round of the 2015 draft.

Since then the Bruins have drafted very well.

Bleed Black and Gold

Dec 16, 2018
The only thing I really notice there after all this is the Bruins are in first.

Am I the only one who more than likely completely took this the wrong way?
You mean how a guy who played himself up from the 4th line to one of the best players in the league, isn’t frothing at the mouth to get out and play his ass off every game and/or has lost the excitement to play in his first year of being named the captain on a team playing in their 100th freaking year as a franchise?
No i don’t think you are…
I

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
Of last year’s crew, I don’t miss Hathaway as he did not play as anticipated. I don’t think many on the list would advocate paying Orlov the north of 7M salary he received from Carolina. We were in on keeping Bertuzzi - to include shipping Taylor Hall to create cap space, before he and his agent completely overplayed their hand and screwed themselves and us in the process with a one year deal in TO for a price I think we would have gladly paid.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Provided he would play again at that number, possibly, but I want to wait and see how he finishes at his age and with that lack of footspeed. It might be better to keep $1m and the roster spot.

He’s on pace for 53 points this year. Even if he slows down a bit and let’s say hits 40-45. You don’t think that’s worth $1m to see if he can come close to that next year?

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
We miss having success at the dot. Minnesota has one of the worst team face-off percentages and they put on a clinic against us. At least Beecher can win his share.

We take too many penalties for a team that is solid when at 5 vs. 5. Lindholm takes more than his share.

Our PK is pretty good, but we never score any shorties. Stat Muse says we have none this year:
NHL Team Short Handed Goals 2023 2024 | StatMuse. We need that spark once in a while.

Montgomery has been mixing up our lines whether we are winning or losing. It might help if he would stick with some line combinations and let the guys have some stability.

This team isn't talented enough to take shifts off. Christ they take whole periods off. They need to focus on playing hard for 60 minutes.
We take penalties because we continuously hand the puck over in the D zone late in shifts, then have to hook or hold to get a whistle! The Presidet,GM,and the coach need to talk to the players and tell them to keep their sticks down (no goals are scored or continued play with high sticks , just penalties). Clearing out zone and not putting pucks in our own net would be handy also.
agree with other posters though in keeping what we have till next season then spending cap dollars on needs.

Taking this game in a vacuum, it’s not too disappointing as I considered it a scheduled loss.

Second of back to backs, other team didn’t play the night before, last game before Christmas and on the road typically spells defeat.

The big problem is looking at it out of the vacuum and lumping it in with their last 5-7 games or so.
Using that logic we should have won the Winnipeg game..

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
We take penalties because we continuously hand the puck over in the D zone late in shifts, then have to hook or hold to get a whistle! The Presidet,GM,and the coach need to talk to the players and tell them to keep their sticks down (no goals are scored or continued play with high sticks , just penalties). Clearing out zone and not putting pucks in our own net would be handy also.
agree with other posters though in keeping what we have till next season then spending cap dollars on needs.

Using that logic we should have won the Winnipeg game..
Percentage wise, yes.

There are no absolutes in sports but if you pick the home, rested team to beat a traveling team who played the night before, you’re going to win more bets than you lose.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Why’s everyone think this is a Monty problem?
Bruins have like 3 good forwards. And a bunch of 3rd/4th liners.
That’s not on the coach.
Made the same point. A average team with elite goalies. Team has to show up and play hard every game. If they dont we will keep losing games

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
Last year:
Mac - 7G, 45A a +29
Lindholm - 10G, 43A a +49

This year end projections based on current stats
Mac - 8G, 38A a -18
Lindholm - 3G, 15A a +3

More than everything else to me, data tells me the depth and all round play that Bergy and DK provided.

Secondarily, both D-men have been, for 14+ million worth of salary, been disappointing

If just Bergy was here, Zacha slots to 2C, Coyle 3C, and likely Geeke 4C.

so mngt did nothing to fill Bergy or DK.
Shattenkirk for Orlov
Heinen for Bert
Lauko for Hathaway
Geeke for Nosek

and after all that, the team is in 1st place

A Christmas miracle!!

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Made the same point. A average team with elite goalies. Team has to show up and play hard every game. If they dont we will keep losing games

They just want a scape goat that isn’t the players. Just like when Cassidy was here.
B’s will more than likely have one guy (Pasta) over ppg by the end of the year.
Pretty easy to shut down a team when you have one or two guys who can score.

Team lacks skill and creativity. Try to force way too much. Not fast enough to forcheck.

If they didn’t get hot goaltending the first 20 games, their record would not be good.

Last couple games have been so boring to watch. Like watching men vs boys

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
The Bruins have had great teams for over a decade. Luckily, they brought home one cup. Should have brought 2 or 3 cups home, but if we’re going to be honest, the Bruins have choked throughout their history. Now, they have just an ok team. It’s just the way things go in sports. No team stays great forever.
Very well said!

Reactions: fin8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad