GDT: Game 32: Avs @ Hawks | Tuesday, December 15th, 6:30pm MT (NBCSN) | Beat the Streak

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Does any player in the NHL run more interference than Jonathan Toews?

Fantastic hockey player and I suppose his exceptionally high hockey IQ is on display with every single interference play. Any time there is a loose puck, Toews does a little half-second hook, trip, grab of the arm, whatever to slow the opponent's first step down and then he beats them to the puck. It's evident in every shift of his. Nothing new, been part of his game for a long time, but got me mad as hell when it wasn't called about three times in one shift last night. The 9s line was dominating them down low, loose puck goes to the corner, Landy has the jump on him, but he does a little slash on the leg far away from the puck and eyesight of the ref, and then wins the race. He does it so subtly that it almost never gets called, but it's absolutely interference. Hossa does it a bit, too, but nothing like Toews. He does it when he loses a faceoff, when he's going to a loose puck, when he's back-checking, basically all the time.

Hey, super smart of him and he's figured out a way to get away with it his entire career, but damnit it's frustrating to watch from the opposition perspective.

Agree with you, though I was grinning like a little kid in a candy store when Blake Comeau, either in the 2nd period or 3rd period, was just flat out abusing Toews. Cross-checks, slashes, more cross checks, more cross checks that looked violent, seems like he took notice of what Toews was doing and it pissed him off and he absolutely abused Toews whenever he got the chance. That's one of the things I like about Comeau lol

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I know everyone thinks the league hates their team but seriously isn't this getting absurd?

As someone who's banged the drum about us over-reacting to calls going against us; it really is. But the league deals more in perception than reality. And some of our guys are getting that perception that they walk on the razor's edge and need to be really kept in check; whereas a team like the hawks don't have this perception. Plus Patrick always talking about wanting to get bigger and meaner just furthers that perception. So I get why this is happening; the league thinks we need to be kept on a strict leash with our 'hot-headed' coach...who sent his own son out to beat on some other kid all those years ago and totally didn't stage that incident in his first game...

But understanding why they are being absurd makes it no less absurd. Hopefully we can change this perception as we get more skilled and gain more exposure in the playoffs.

Landy's history is what that was about. He had apparently been warned that he was close many times before. Basically giving him something more extreme to show they were finally serious. Still a BS suspension IMO.

I love Landy, but he's been a big part of why we have this perception within the league as a very borderline team. With McCleod, Bordeleau and EJ's past incidents, and Roy behind the bench, it's a difficult perception to shake when our captain is one of the guys the league feels it needs to focus on reeling-in.

Agree with you, though I was grinning like a little kid in a candy store when Blake Comeau, either in the 2nd period or 3rd period, was just flat out abusing Toews. Cross-checks, slashes, more cross checks, more cross checks that looked violent, seems like he took notice of what Toews was doing and it pissed him off and he absolutely abused Toews whenever he got the chance. That's one of the things I like about Comeau lol

I was expecting a lower producing but defensively superior McGinn who would sporadically deliver huge hits on the forecheck; but Comeau's been so much more of a constant physical presence that just harasses opposing players all shift long, and I love it. Add in his ability to carry the puck and he's like a bigger, winger version of Mitchell with some shades of Downie sprinkled in. If MacK and Landy had continued to struggle this week, I would've been really interested to see Comeau playing with those two on a more truculent scoring line to try and get them really fired up physically while their skill-games were MIA. Still think that'd be an interesting line for us to try if Soda-Dutchy are ever given the chance to wreck **** together.

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Which one is Cummy Gobbler?

200x200px-ZC-2fdf5e0f_nathan-fillion-well-nevermind.gif

There's got to be a better way to ask that.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado

classic, as long as he is not "caught"
I am so upset with the current standard of nhl non calls though.. oops
so

Good job of taking advantage of the lapse NHL Commoe dont get caught! ? :shakehead

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
So they had media availability at around 12, there was a snap shot and a quote from Roy from the Avs twitter 2 hours ago, but no video posted by anyone yet. How long does it take damn...

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
Taken from another thread on the main forum but wanted to post it here because its a good point.

They look amazing together, they ran Toews ragged last night, if you can watch it, give it a look, they, Barrie and EJ were simply dominating out there, Duchene changed his game, he goes to the net, he's always in the middle of things and he's playing on fire right now, once he simplified his game he took off. Nate is electric, he gets the puck and next thing he's gone, Seabrook had to grab him by his trunks to stop him yesterday, just an amazing player, he'll be top 5 in the league soon enough. And last but not least, there's Landeskog, he does a lot of dirty work for them and still gets points on the board, he'll get the least hype out of the three, but he's just as valuable.

All in all the Avs need two top six wingers to flank Soderberg (he's been great for them despite playing with suspect talent), a decent top 4D and they'd be golden, their top line is great, their 4th line is really good, Soderberg is doing great, but Iginla, Tanguay and Martinsen don't belong and they're dragging the whole forward corps down.

Is it possible that we'd be a ''good'' team if we didn't have Iginla/Tanguay or if they were playing like they should be? Even assuming we had Holden in the top 4 D and Guenin in the top 6.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
As someone who's banged the drum about us over-reacting to calls going against us; it really is. But the league deals more in perception than reality. And some of our guys are getting that perception that they walk on the razor's edge and need to be really kept in check; whereas a team like the hawks don't have this perception. Plus Patrick always talking about wanting to get bigger and meaner just furthers that perception. So I get why this is happening; the league thinks we need to be kept on a strict leash with our 'hot-headed' coach...who sent his own son out to beat on some other kid all those years ago and totally didn't stage that incident in his first game...

But understanding why they are being absurd makes it no less absurd. Hopefully we can change this perception as we get more skilled and gain more exposure in the playoffs.

Everyone said it was zero tolerance for the head shot stuff, the league is getting sued blah blah. Ok then but here's a head shot and were back to well he didn't get injured sooo. That's the ridiculous part.

I get what you are saying but if we are going to be treated like that then we better get our money's worth for it. Then we need to bring the pain and intimidation. The Jets don't care, they walk over the line because that's their identity, they'll kill penalties and take suspensions (which they don't get) because it's who they are. We TRY to be a bit more physical and we get our hands smacked for it. That's the ridiculous part. If we were one of the top physical teams then I'd take it. If the perception is already there that we walk the line then they really need to push it. I still think they are like little kids trying to push back most nights but they are getting there. Get your money's worth if we are already starting behind the 8 ball. None of this half assed little kid stuff and then get punished for it.

Actually I think we are moving away from a "skilled" team. That's the identity they want to create, not quite the Jets level but I think their vision is at least like the Ducks. Every player they've drafted has size and most have bite. If the vision works out the way they want it to I do think we will be one of the top physical teams. We can already see it, they play best when they assert themselves in that department.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Is it possible that we'd be a ''good'' team if we didn't have Iginla/Tanguay or if they were playing like they should be? Even assuming we had Holden in the top 4 D and Guenin in the top 6.

Depends on how you define good. Is a good team in the 7-10 range of a conference, or is it more around the 4-5-6 range?

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
Depends on how you define good. Is a good team in the 7-10 range of a conference, or is it more around the 4-5-6 range?

I think if everyone on the team were pulling enough weight (its not that crazy to consider) we'd be tied or ahead of the preds, so 6th in the conference and in the playoffs atm.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Taken from another thread on the main forum but wanted to post it here because its a good point.

I think we are still talent deficient in both areas. A decent top 4 D and Holden playing in the bottom pair would make a difference. Tangs/Iggy playing better would help but they really should be third liners at this point, neither of them should be counted on as top 6 even on a good day. Getting better goaltending helps too. Playing better together and within the system as well. Plus with the parity there isn't much distinction between good and bad much anyway.

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
I think we are still talent deficient in both areas. A decent top 4 D and Holden playing in the bottom pair would make a difference. Tangs/Iggy playing better would help but they really should be third liners at this point, neither of them should be counted on as top 6 even on a good day. Getting better goaltending helps too. Playing better together and within the system as well. Plus with the parity there isn't much distinction between good and bad much anyway.

Yeah I agree completely about the parity in the league, the nhl overtook baseball IMO as the league with the most parity after Bettman had his way.

Anyways, it gives me hope for the next 5 or so years. Sure we suck against the Wild, but those games never showcase our teams' true talent levels but against the hawks? I think those are the games we see how good the Avs can be but aren't quite consistently there yet.

It wouldn't surprise me if Roy thinks about how to beat the Wild daily with the fact that we will probably have to get past them to ever win the cup in the back of his mind.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think if everyone on the team were pulling enough weight (its not that crazy to consider) we'd be tied or ahead of the preds, so 6th in the conference and in the playoffs atm.

The Preds are really not a good team IMO, and are falling off quickly since Rinne can't play at a consistent high level anymore. Somebody will catch them before the end of the season... it is just a matter of who. The top 5 in the west are all good teams (out of the group I think LA is the worst). The rest... not so much.

Yep... top 4D and at least 1 top 6 winger (2 would be really nice) are needed before this team is going to do much. Unfortunately the players destined for those roles weren't ready. On the good side, there is a chance it won't take that long for either of them.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't think Roy worries about the Wild as much as we do. Everyone forgets we went 4-0-1 against them before the playoffs. I think he has been more traumatized watching the big teams push us around in the past.

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
I don't think Roy worries about the Wild as much as we do. Everyone forgets we went 4-0-1 against them before the playoffs. I think he has been more traumatized watching the big teams push us around in the past.

:laugh: Maybe so, I do know that in my mind if I see we're playing the Wild? We're losing that game.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Maybe not Roy but just like I believe Varly is in the head of the Hawks players, the entire Wild team is in our players' heads. They just need that one win in Minnesota.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Video just went up. Nothing about Beauch. I guess Frei isn't aware he got hit.

Duchene though talked about that they had been practicing break-outs a lot before and during the road-trip.

At least in the Chicago game the break-outs worked out well.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Video just went up. Nothing about Beauch. I guess Frei isn't aware he got hit.
I think no news might be good news there. Roy's face on the last Iggy question basically said I'll I needed to know about his thoughts there.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Everyone said it was zero tolerance for the head shot stuff, the league is getting sued blah blah. Ok then but here's a head shot and were back to well he didn't get injured sooo. That's the ridiculous part.

I get what you are saying but if we are going to be treated like that then we better get our money's worth for it. Then we need to bring the pain and intimidation. The Jets don't care, they walk over the line because that's their identity, they'll kill penalties and take suspensions (which they don't get) because it's who they are. We TRY to be a bit more physical and we get our hands smacked for it. That's the ridiculous part. If we were one of the top physical teams then I'd take it. If the perception is already there that we walk the line then they really need to push it. I still think they are like little kids trying to push back most nights but they are getting there. Get your money's worth if we are already starting behind the 8 ball. None of this half assed little kid stuff and then get punished for it.

Actually I think we are moving away from a "skilled" team. That's the identity they want to create, not quite the Jets level but I think their vision is at least like the Ducks. Every player they've drafted has size and most have bite. If the vision works out the way they want it to I do think we will be one of the top physical teams. We can already see it, they play best when they assert themselves in that department.

My tinfoil theory is that the league wants the avs to develop their young talent into another Hawks/Lightening type team and so they're cracking down on us more than teams like the Jets to discourage Roy from going in that direction. Thus the whole perception v reality thing.

Edit:
And we will be getting more skilled; even if we get bigger and meaner to. I expect to see more players like Soderberg and Rantanen to be brought in; guys who are big and strong yet they still play a skillful possession game. With the likes of Rintintin and Rads/other-winger joining our top 6 and Bigras/Zadorov/co. joining the back end we'll keep getting bigger, but also a lot more skilled. And they do seem to be working on playing with more calm and poise in possession which would hint towards wanting those big boys to play a more skilled game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad