Post-Game Talk: Game # 31 Rangers vs Buffalo - 7pm EST - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Laf got a shot on goal last night from a bad angle that looked like a laserbeam and caught the goalie by surprise. I really do think he should try to snipe a few or just shoot to create some rebounds.

In some ways, I think he may be trying too hard to emulate Panarin with the cross ice passes. He doesn't have the skill to slow the game down like that yet. Eventually he might, but he should not play with expectation that he can at this stage. It's a rare sort of thing. Laf just doesn't create that sort of open ice for himself yet.

I agree with those in general who said Laf looked better last night though. He didn't string together multiple good shifts in a row or anything, but there were 1 or 2 flashes of brilliance here or there. I think he just needs to think less and feel more.

He's going to be really great though. It's going to come. He is an elite passer and puck handler. He's got that incredible shot. It's just about knowing which of his tools to use at the right times in this league. It all happens much faster than he's accustomed to.

Actually is that one where he either hit the knob of Tokarski's stick or just missed high blocker side? (Laf was coming down the left wing and was a ways out) That was an absolute laser for sure, he needs to rifle off a shot more often, Dustin was definitely caught off guard there - as was I.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Imo he wasn’t getting rewarded because he wasn’t driving or going to the net like he did tonight.
Maybe not, but he has been working hard to be defensively sound. He's hardly ever out of position anymore, much better with his stick breaking up plays, skating hard to backcheck, etc.. Not surprising the coaches like his progression and reward him by giving him more icetime. He double shifted for Lemiuex when he was in the doghouse. Not Zibad or Panarin, but him.

Sometimes scoring is the last thing youngsters need to work on.

Reactions: CasusBelli

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Maybe not, but he has been working hard to be defensively sound. He's hardly ever out of position anymore, much better with his stick breaking up plays, skating hard to backcheck, etc.. Not surprising the coaches like his progression and reward him by giving him more icetime. He double shifted for Lemiuex when he was in the doghouse. Not Zibad or Panarin, but him.

Sometimes scoring is the last thing youngsters need to work on.
His work away from the puck has been simply aces this year. I can’t help but think that Martin had something to do with it. Keep in mind Martin developed some solid two-way forwards in Fisher, Bonk and Vermette as well — not just Hossa.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Laf got a shot on goal last night from a bad angle that looked like a laserbeam and caught the goalie by surprise. I really do think he should try to snipe a few or just shoot to create some rebounds.

In some ways, I think he may be trying too hard to emulate Panarin with the cross ice passes. He doesn't have the skill to slow the game down like that yet. Eventually he might, but he should not play with expectation that he can at this stage. It's a rare sort of thing. Laf just doesn't create that sort of open ice for himself yet.

I agree with those in general who said Laf looked better last night though. He didn't string together multiple good shifts in a row or anything, but there were 1 or 2 flashes of brilliance here or there. I think he just needs to think less and feel more.

He's going to be really great though. It's going to come. He is an elite passer and puck handler. He's got that incredible shot. It's just about knowing which of his tools to use at the right times in this league. It all happens much faster than he's accustomed to.
He’ll start shooting more and better next year like Kakko did:

2019-20
upload_2021-3-23_16-28-11.png

2020-21

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Coming in hot...

Hajek's game is better than Miller's right now.

He was skating well last night and joining the offense, as he has had in recent games, kind of weaving in and out like Fox in the o-zone.
164616446_10208522918908685_79980023936871633_o.jpg

Hajek is one of the best examples ever of a player who passes the eye test because it's impossible to make a mistake while you're dead and the other team is pissing on your headstone.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Hajek is playing the most sheltered ten minutes a game on the third pairing.

Even guys like Stu Bickel and Jason Strudwick could do that.

I’m not ripping on the kid but we will know we have a good third pairing when we no longer need to ride Fox Miller and Trouba for 26 minutes each a game.

Robertson and Lundkvist, send up the bat signal

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

I’m not ripping on the kid but we will know we have a good third pairing when we no longer need to ride Fox Miller and Trouba for 26 minutes each a game.

That shit I just posted is in some of the most sheltered minutes in the league?

Pass the Pepto Bismol.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

Hajek is one of the best examples ever of a player who passes the eye test because it's impossible to make a mistake while you're dead and the other team is pissing on your headstone.
He was really bad when he first stepped into the lineup but I think he's been doing better as of late.

upload_2021-3-23_20-15-53.png

Rangers generate no offense when he's on the ice; 1.09xGF/60 is comically low. But 1.07 xGA/60 is incredible. I know it's an arbitrary time frame an whatnot so take it with a grain of salt.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008

Lol you're breaking my balls, breaking my balls

Reactions: Machinehead

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

What do you want from him? I have no clue what your expectations are, most 3rd pairs are 'sheltered' and get around 14minutes. He's playing 3rd pairing minutes, getting 3rd line duties.. Yes, it could be better but that's stating the obvious. We will not have world beaters at every position

Knoblauch obviously doesn't trust him, his minutes dropped since he took over.

Still think he's good at puck retrieval and has a good first pass, cleaned up and minimized mistakes. He's doing fine for the role he is playing. He has been improving as the season moves along. Playing on the Right Side as well. He is not a long term solution with the depth we have in the farm.

He may be playing with Lundkvist next year

Last edited:

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
From the eyeball test he looks to be fin on the third pair. Smith on the other hand has been having trouble getting out of his Zone and frequently turns the puck over or just gets it up the boards where the other team still retains possession

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Let me calm you down right now by saying we won't sweep both PIT and BOS, much less one of the two. Of course, I hope that my post ages really badly.
Sweeping them would be amazing and just what the doctor ordered. I'd be thrilled with 3 of 4, but especially WIN in reg. BOTH vs Pitt. We owe them those losses, big time!

1st things first, c'mon Shesty, and sweep Filthy. They suck, and destined to a lottery pick. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad