Post-Game Talk: Game # 31 Rangers vs Buffalo - 7pm EST - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Lafreniere, not only Kakko, looked better last night. Thinking it’s at least partially because of easier opposition than what they face otherwise. Still a good sign and hopefully we should see a bigger (up) trend as the season progresses.
To be frank, I didn’t once notice Laf last night, though I did miss the first few minutes of the second and third.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
In contrast to the kid line which just does board work 99% of the time. Laf Fil Kaapo simply does not play to move to puck to a threatening area right now. All 3 players are basically drones doing chip chase and puck battle. As good as KZB is, I think we need to give Fil a good winger and give Laf someone other than Rooney.

That's why the kid line was a stupid idea to begin with. Reminds me of a few AV 4th lines that would grind and cycle along the boards and make zero attempt to play offense.
The kids weren't playing 'chip and chase' that might work, they were actually playing the less elegant sister-style of 'stumble, fumble and whack'.

Reactions: Tob

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
How about Kinkaid robbing Jeff Skinner (again, Skinner has been robbed by Rangers goaltending 4-5 times this season) Huge saves early in the game..

164422559_2239115906219919_7623155696352669413_n.jpg

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
coaching Kakko received to start 2nd

зайти в сеть и подождать, если хочешь остаться на этой линии

Reactions: bl02

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I didn't believe the percantages at first... we were like 9-10% a week ago.

It has to do with the 'head to heads'. A lot of wacky stuff can happen. If we get hot right now, we could ride it into the playoffs.

If we sweep the PIT and BOS series, that makes up 4pts in the standings, onboth.. Those teams play eachother as well, so we'd hope 1 team beats the other consistently. Everything else then starts to look obtainable.

We have a lot of NJ, BUFF, WAS and PHI. Hopefully the Fishies don't screw us, but they usually fall of late season though. I'm pretty sure we went 16-9 at some point last year, or something relatively close to that... We would have to do something similar. 20-5. One game at a time.

We just need Shesty back
Honestly, before Zibanejad got back to himself, I thought there was no way. But if he continues doing Zibanejad-type things on the ice, and Miller can limit some of the rookie mistakes he's been making, and we stay healthy, then I do think we have a legitimate shot at getting into this thing.

The issue is, nothing on your roster is guaranteed this season. With COVID-19 protocols, the deepest team has the best chance, since you never know when your best players are going to miss a handful of games. And, quite frankly, we are the least deep team in the division other than the Devils and Buffalo. So many key players on our team missed a bunch of games this year, and you have to imagine that it will continue with this fast-paced schedule and just the general circumstances we are dealing with.

And also, our goaltending situation has been a total clusterf***. We are accustomed to hall-of-fame levels of goaltending and consistency, and we just haven't gotten it this year with Shesty struggling, then getting hot, then getting hurt, and our backups getting exposed for what they are.

Kincaid is definitely pulling his weight above expectations, but he's still not someone you want to rely upon for weeks at a time. Still, even though he has lost us a few games and let in some softies, he's also come up with tremendous highlight-real saves every time he's played which is really unexpected. Even though he gave up 3, last night was his best game of the season so far. He didn't get a star but should've - he basically won us that one.

Georgiev looks like a total headcase right now. He's a disappointment and his value has dropped tremendously. He is just moving too much in the crease and doesn't look like he's thinking the game correctly. Frankly, I think Kincaid has outplayed him.

Regardless, we aren't going anywhere as an organization unless Shesterkin gets healthy and stays that way for a prolonged period of time. I'm getting worried about his longevity.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
All the haters on this forum (and really only this forum, most people are pretty respectful on other forums) just trashing Kakko and Laf saying they're busts and the Rangers can't develop players in the Kakko/Laf thread in the main NHL Talk forum. Astonishing stupidity and ignorance.
Yea, I agree. Patience people. They're going to be great.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Chytil didn’t have a strong game for that line so maybe this impacted you not seeing Lafreniere who was making right plays in specific situations.
Maybe that was it. I noticed KZB, Strome, Bread and KK among our forwards. Then there was that drive to the net by Goat. The rest was kind of a mix-up for me.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Kreider's game is dependent on the players around him. Look at the goals he scored last night. One was a tip in and the other a rebound chance. He does his job in front, screens the goalie and cleans up the garbage, but other players have to get the puck to the net.

Yes, Kreider can also score off the rush, but it's usually because someone hits him with a great pass to spring him, so he can use his speed. Kreider isn't going to carry the puck end to end. He isn't going to dangle people.

He will always be a streaky goal scorer.
Stepan was great with passes off the boards.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Maybe that was it. I noticed KZB, Strome, Bread and KK among our forwards. Then there was that drive to the net by Goat. The rest was kind of a mix-up for me.

The kid line lost a few shifts where they were pinned in the defensive zone. Then Kakko got elevated to be with Panarin and Strome. Laf carried the puck well on a couple of occasions, while Chytil lacked time and space most of the night. He did have a close-in chance late in the game near Tokarski's left post.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Coming in hot...

Hajek's game is better than Miller's right now.

He was skating well last night and joining the offense, as he has had in recent games, kind of weaving in and out like Fox in the o-zone.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Coming in hot...

He was skating well last night and joining the offense, as he has had in recent games, kind of weaving in and out like Fox in the o-zone.
He's certainly looked much better and much more confident this year. In addition to the camp battle on the right, the one on the left might well be Hajek vs. Robertson vs. Reaunen

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Laf needs to be firing the puck a little more, a couple of times he's tried really low percentage cross ice passes when he could have shot
Laf got a shot on goal last night from a bad angle that looked like a laserbeam and caught the goalie by surprise. I really do think he should try to snipe a few or just shoot to create some rebounds.

In some ways, I think he may be trying too hard to emulate Panarin with the cross ice passes. He doesn't have the skill to slow the game down like that yet. Eventually he might, but he should not play with expectation that he can at this stage. It's a rare sort of thing. Laf just doesn't create that sort of open ice for himself yet.

I agree with those in general who said Laf looked better last night though. He didn't string together multiple good shifts in a row or anything, but there were 1 or 2 flashes of brilliance here or there. I think he just needs to think less and feel more.

He's going to be really great though. It's going to come. He is an elite passer and puck handler. He's got that incredible shot. It's just about knowing which of his tools to use at the right times in this league. It all happens much faster than he's accustomed to.

Last edited:

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
he literally does it all the time with both laf and kakko when they look like theyre going...and if prior evidence isn't enough knoblauch said it explicitly after the game it was part of the gameplan put together by quinn to get kakko more minutes and on that line, primarily as an acknowledgement of recent play.

this is a kid just emerging. the tears over him being broken or held back by quinn could only come from people who don't understand hockey. this shouldn't be a surprise to see him have a breakout game for anyone paying attention... he's taken progressive steps for a long time now people that only see progress in box scores have been missing...this has been building, and its only the beginning.

Notice all the “likes”? It’s hilarious to read some of these anti-Quinn posts. It reminds me of political trolls.

Reactions: egelband and romba

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Coming in hot...

Hajek has been very impressive in the D zone, which is how I judge my Dmen. His o zone work is gravy. He wins the puck quickly in our zone and finds the open man crisply. Very few mistakes as well, he seems way more polished this year, experience matters.

Once a game Miller seems to muff a pass, muff a shot, or pinch at the wrong time leading to golden chances the other way. Part of being a rookie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad