Post-Game Talk: Game 31: Canucks 0 - 4 BLACKHAWKS | Kane's Streak Continues. Crow with another SO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Crawford's play of late isn't "cheap", either. Made a lot of strong saves and doesn't exactly have a lights out D core in front of him these days. He's earned it.

Is it just me or is he much more aggressive this season? I feel like he comes out much further and more often to challenge, and he's succeeding. If that has been said elsewhere, my apologies. Up until the last week or so I haven't seen very many full games this season so catching up a bit in some of my observations.

There's also little doubt in my mind that Panarin is a budding star. Just..wow.

Roger that! it was amazing to see him make that Mario pass around left wing half boards over Nucks players stick move around him then pick it up and carry on, not many players will ever have that ability.

Every time he's on the ice you feel excitement just like Savvy back in his prime.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Roger that! it was amazing to see him make that Mario pass around left wing half boards over Nucks players stick move around him then pick it up and carry on, not many players will ever have that ability.

Every time he's on the ice you feel excitement just like Savvy back in his prime.

...and he's the second most talented guy on his line

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The 2 issues that deserve criticism from this victory over VAN:

. The continuing FAIL of line #1...Zero points for Hossa Toews and TT....ONLY 1 shot on goal each from Hossa and Toews....and Zero shots on goal from TT....poor o-zone time for this line of alleged stars still for some reason labeled the #1 line...if this was a line on any other team would they dare be called that team's #1 line or even worthy of s top six line designation ? They just continue to disappoint...Imagine how good we would be if they produce ed as a top line or even good 2nd line should?

. The other issue was the sloppyness of our team ....especially in our own zone on both clearing attempts (putrid) and in give-aways...we had 8 give-aways gifts to them (they only gave us 2 give-aways gifts)...yet we still won because CC was on his game and we had 3 of 4 lines doing their jobs well and great production from the bottom six...line #3 players combined for 5 points and +5 and Mashinter from line #4 got a goal while spelling Shaw on one shift with line #3 ...So it really helps when the bottom six forwards produce like that..
STILL we cannot be so sloppy with give-aways and bad cleR attempts in our own zone...we must clean that up..

As to the li e #1 problems ,some have said they eventually will stat producing more and more frequently...but I am skeptical..and see this as our biggest problem which may be a permanent problem all season long.

TKK

Oct 22, 2015
IMO, they should mix up top 2 lines because Line 1 needs a better playmaker on the wing.

So maybe something like this...

Teravainen Toews Kane
Panarin Anisimov Hossa

This would keep Panarin with Anisimov and give that line more defensive presence, on the other hand, Line 1 would get the much needed offensive boost with Kane.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I really do think at some point we will see Panarin and his playmaking ability on the top line with Toews and Hossa. TT has shown in the past he plays well with Kane and putting Panarin on the top line gives Toews and Hossa a premier playmaker. I thought Panarin looked good with Toews in their brief stint together when Hoss was injured and TT looked good on the second line.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I really do think at some point we will see Panarin and his playmaking ability on the top line with Toews and Hossa. TT has shown in the past he plays well with Kane and putting Panarin on the top line gives Toews and Hossa a premier playmaker. I thought Panarin looked good with Toews in their brief stint together when Hoss was injured and TT looked good on the second line.

Separating 72/88 has been proposed more than once this season. I was for it then and I still am. The first line needs a boost and now is the time to experiment. Swapping Panarin with TT, even if it is temporary needs to be tried. The concern would still be the 2nd line without the puck (same as it is a concern today with 88/72 on it).

The 3rd line has shown hints of being effective and pitching in offensively, which helps a lot if it keeps improving as a unit. Obviously Hawks need all 4 lines going to be at their best, not one or two lines. With CC playing so well, it has the potential to making this team unstoppable in fact. Baby steps, but we're getting there.

On another note: If Bickell can stay engaged like he showed last night, I won't be surprised if Q once again tries him on the first line for stints when the games get physical.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Hawks 38 - 21 on fo's, very good night.

Nothing like facing the worst faceoff team in the league juuuust to skew the stats a bit. ;)

And SS and BJ, not a chance in hell (and rightfully so) that Q breaks up that line until Kane's point streak ends.

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
I know it's been proposed on here before but Q needs to give 86 a look at 1RW. He's more offensively inclined than Hossa at this stage of his career, and it's pretty clear to me that Teuvo playing 3C isn't the plan moving forward. Plus, almost every notable play that he's made in the NHL whether it's a ridiculous pass or a laser beam shot have been from the right wing or from the right wing into the slot. That seems to be the spot on the ice that he's most comfortable with and slotting him in on the LW just takes away some of that playmaking ability.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Separating 72/88 has been proposed more than once this season. I was for it then and I still am. The first line needs a boost and now is the time to experiment. Swapping Panarin with TT, even if it is temporary needs to be tried. The concern would still be the 2nd line without the puck (same as it is a concern today with 88/72 on it).

The 3rd line has shown hints of being effective and pitching in offensively, which helps a lot if it keeps improving as a unit. Obviously Hawks need all 4 lines going to be at their best, not one or two lines. With CC playing so well, it has the potential to making this team unstoppable in fact. Baby steps, but we're getting there.

On another note: If Bickell can stay engaged like he showed last night, I won't be surprised if Q once again tries him on the first line for stints when the games get physical.

I agree Bobby. Kane and Panarin are uniquely skilled playmakers, they will create opportunities no matter who is on their lines. I also dont think Kane and Panarin on the same line is necessarily making them both look so much better, ie they are so good with the puck they will make everyone look better. We have proven finishers in Toews and Hossa, they do not necessarily create loads on their own. TT has played well with Kane in brief stints, I really think its a solid move. You can put Kane and Bread Man together on the PP and mix them together at times during the games.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
IMO, they should mix up top 2 lines because Line 1 needs a better playmaker on the wing.

So maybe something like this...

Teravainen Toews Kane
Panarin Anisimov Hossa

This would keep Panarin with Anisimov and give that line more defensive presence, on the other hand, Line 1 would get the much needed offensive boost with Kane.

On paper, that would balance out the lines creating two good lines (with and without the puck). Again, it's worth a try... but Q can't wait too long. Streak or no streak, the team needs to come first.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The Toews line git it's ***** kicked by the Sedins line last night...The possession numbers for the Toews line were negative
-7 for Corsi and Fenwick for both Toews and Hossa and -8 for Corsi and -9 for Fenwick with regard to TT...they just are not doing the job and showing up to play let alone score. This becomes a worse problem on the road where the opponents can match better to shut down the Kane line ....so that even if it goes better in possession for the Toews line because they also have trouble scoring it still favour the opposition...The newfound potency of line #3 therefore will be crucial if we are to win road games unless line #1 gets its act together for offense.

I do not know if moving anyone else besides TT to the first line really helps since the problem there is the poor play most games of Toews and Hossa no longer the star once was.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
thought we played an all around great game and crow was excellent.

to nitpick

1. Our entries on the PP continue to not be that great.

2. Pk didn't concede a goal but was a little rough.

3. Toews does not look dangerous with the puck at all ever lately.

Yeah. The numbers aren't really telling the truth when it comes to the PK. It's too passive for my liking, and too many failed clearing attempts last night. There is a saying that the goaltender is your most important PKer. CC made some nice positional saves on pucks I doubt he even saw.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
On paper, that would balance out the lines creating two good lines (with and without the puck). Again, it's worth a try... but Q can't wait too long. Streak or no streak, the team needs to come first.

Teravainen Toews Kane
Panarin Anisimov Hossa

I would love to see this. 19 is the one that needs to get going. And Kane is the only sure fire 19 starter we have. Let the streak end and then go nuclear and put them together and let 19 start to point again. He is streaky. Let him get going and the go back to what we have.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
It's crazy how much possession AA is driving and 19 is not. AA is keeping plays alive like crazy, keeps getting it to the munckins and he goes in front.

19 is losing possession #'s, that is unheard of. Look, we are a good team, that could win the Cup. Not many teams can say that. But 19 will have to do more when we get there, I would like to see what makes him go now, and not discover it down 3-1 in a series.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Teravainen Toews Kane
Panarin Anisimov Hossa

I would love to see this. 19 is the one that needs to get going. And Kane is the only sure fire 19 starter we have. Let the streak end and then go nuclear and put them together and let 19 start to point again. He is streaky. Let him get going and the go back to what we have.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

HawksFanTim

Jul 17, 2013
Washington DC
Took a peak at the schedule and we're just getting started on a pretty soft stretch of opponents. Really a chance to make a move before the new year.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
You guys call for 86-19-81 to stick together so they can gel.
They start looking better.
And now that there aren't instant exponential results, we want to break them up?

This place makes no sense

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
And now that there aren't instant exponential results, we want to break them up?

I think the result is that more people here need to go to Machu Picchu, that's all I can conclude.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Toews should be a lot better and it doesn't look like he is going to get the infusion he seems to need with TT on his wing. TT himself has shown flashes of brilliance (on occasion) lately but his game lacks consistency. I think both are a bit low in confidence right now and as has been said: any experiments by Q needs to happen sooner rather than later; and certainly shouldn't wait until the playoffs which Q has shown a tendency to do in the past. If it makes you feel any better, I doubt Q breaks up the 2nd line as long as the Kane streak is alive.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
While I don't think they should be broken up, I don't really care.

This place is just so fickle about everything. It is hard to keep up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad