Post-Game Talk: GAME 30 - The Wild are now an astonishing 10-4-2 lifetime in Boston

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
pissed away a point , loved the way the boys played for the first 40, super entertaining tilt but again, let a lesser opponent stick around and it cost them again
Agreed. Losses happen, but to take a shot like that when 3v3 is all about possession and then to dog it back was tough to see. Major dogging it.

Last time he wanted a new contract he wanted to be traded because he was playing line three. Now, he can't say anything about where he is playing, but he is spitting the bit.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Lauko deserves props for doing his job better than anyone else last night.

This is a pipe dream, I know. But I'd really like to see Marchand, Pasta and McAvoy simplify (refine?) their games a bit. Be a little smarter in their approach. Marchand doesn't have the magic anymore. McAvoy doesn't have Bergeron anymore to cover for him. Pasta shouldn't have to force plays every shift.

Jake with another irritating performance.

Ullmark's GAA now at 2.86. Nearly a full goal higher than last season (1.89).

Good thing the Wild top line didn't do well on faceoffs. Once they got the puck they kept it.
And Ullmark has been great go’s to show how putrid the Bruins defence and defensive play has been.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Grz is struggling some, but there is a pretty good NHL defenseman there. The concern I have is Carlo. The Kaprizov line overwhelmed him last night, and unlike Grz, he isn't going anywhere.

He (Gryz) is a soft target whenever there is a loss. Someone earlier mentioned he played less minutes than Wotherspoon, but I wonder if whoever said that noticed he got injured early in the game and was out for a long stretch in period 1. He's not been great this season and is not playing up to his usual standard and who knows why? Trade rumors, personal issues, lingering injury? Anyway, he is not the reason the Bruins have hit a bad patch recently. There are far more higher profile and higher paid Bruins to be pointing the finger at here.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He (Gryz) is a soft target whenever there is a loss. Someone earlier mentioned he played less minutes than Wotherspoon, but I wonder if whoever said that noticed he got injured early in the game and was out for a long stretch in period 1. He's not been great this season and is not playing up to his usual standard and who knows why? Trade rumors, personal issues, lingering injury? Anyway, he is not the reason the Bruins have hit a bad patch recently. There are far more higher profile and higher paid Bruins to be pointing the finger at here.

Its because Forbort is out.

• Haha
Reactions: Dr Hook and GoBs

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Same can be said about @Gee Wally .

IMG_0597.jpeg

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
"He's not been great this season"

He's been utter trash the entire year. 1 point in 20 games, -3, he's essentially doing nothing out there. He's an analytic darling to some here to the point where they try hammering home what he does "elite" while completely ignoring everything else. He doesn't do anything at an elite level, if he did, it would show in his offensive numbers.

I'm just kind of over him as a player. I honestly believe he's regressing at a pretty fast pace, but hey, his dad is a "legend" around the rink.

It might be harsh but it's flat out time to move on.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Couple thoughts.
Flower not as good as he once was, but can be as good once as he ever was. Wow. Game saving stops on Zacha, JVR, Shattenkirk, Pasta, even Geekie.

About Debusk, the shot wide in OT wasn't what irked me. Nor his penalty in the 1st that the Wild scored on. It was his first shift in OT (I can't find the replay), where he was 3 feet from the puck and just stood there while a Wild player skated to it. With possession everything in OT, I was surprised he got a second shift after that. Not sure what's going on with him.

Try again Saturday.
I know exactly what play you are referring to. It was like one of those game remote controller memes. I was thinking "what the hell are you doing Jake????".

Reactions: Ladyfan and mjhfb

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

He's been utter trash the entire year. 1 point in 20 games, -3, he's essentially doing nothing out there. He's an analytic darling to some here to the point where they try hammering home what he does "elite" while completely ignoring everything else. He doesn't do anything at an elite level, if he did, it would show in his offensive numbers.

I'm just kind of over him as a player. I honestly believe he's regressing at a pretty fast pace, but hey, his dad is a "legend" around the rink.

Who would take him? If they waived him I can't see anybody paying him his bloated contract. Pretty easy to replace a -3 1 point offensive defenseman for 775k not 3.5M.

Biggest fear is Donnie boy resigns him.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
One thing I will say in Monty's defense - leaning heavily on the top guys is becoming more and more normal in the league. The Bruins' average TOI/G leaders amongst forwards are Pasta and Marchand with 20, Zacha and Coyle with 18 and DeBrusk with 17. Vegas' top 5 it's 17-20 mins per game, Toronto 18-22, Rangers 18-20, Colorado's top 3 play 21-23 then there's a big gap to the rest, Oilers it's 19-21, Kings 17-19, Canes 17-20. And so on and so on.

So the Bruins are doing exactly the same as pretty much all the other contenders, and indeed they're slightly better than a couple of them in sharing the load around. Could they nonetheless be doing more in giving other guys a little more time, opportunity and experience? Yeah I think so, especially in terms of them learning to perform in high pressure and different types of situations. But overall Monty's one of the herd, and in a sense as well he must sometimes fight fire with fire. Pasta and Zacha logged 8 mins in the 3rd period, but Kaprizov played over 9. That's routine for the likes of McDavid and Matthews too. Just the way of things.
Yeah thats a fair point, my concern is less with guys like Pasta and Marchy getting those minutes but maybe some of the guys getting increased minutes against harder competition cant handle it the same way Pasta and Marchy can.

Some noticeable spikes in ATOI:
Geekie 10:27 to 14:55
Zacha 16:03 to 18:28 (at center)
Debrusk 16:47 to 17:08 (without 37)
Heinen 10:45 to 13:49
Freddy 11:55 to 13:08

Not saying that's definitely the cause but going 2 periods rolling 4 lines then cutting it off for the final period where guys that normally don’t play that much time have to carry more of the load may be a cause for a concern when it comes to blown 3rd period leads.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I did notice. He came back. Both had 20 shifts. Also Gryz makes 3.6 million and is a 5th defensemen in toi. He has one goal. The bruins have no confidence in him when it matters so what is the purpose in keeping him? Guessing it’s more his value around the league.

He’s a soft target because he’s not very good anymore and they continually try to replace him for the playoffs by knocking him down the depth chart and that’s when he was playing well

He is definitely not the only one, point taken there

• Haha
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022

Playing with McAvoy Marchand Bergeron and pasta would make many players have nice looking analytics. Mike Reilly had good analytics w McAvoy as well.

Reactions: GoBs

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
The game was very entertaining.
I thought Freddy played very well for us. Wotherspoon did not look out of place for us, nice to have some depth on dee.
We ran into a hot goalie and need our forwards to be able to bury rebounds when they have a chance. JDB needs to be pulled aside and reminded that when you are playing 3 v 3, and you are taking a high opportunity shot, you need to HIT the net. I would be exploring the trade market in the New Year and see what we can get for Ullmark. We are in dire need of another 25-30 goal scorer up front.

Reactions: hrdpuk

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
He's an analytic darling

This season since he has come back from his injury he has not been as good as he was in previous seasons when he along with McAvoy were statistically one the most effective pairings in the NHL.

Both the eye test and stats will tell you that.

I don't see anyone saying Gryz has been particularly good this season so not sure who you are railing against here.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
A few things, top priority is to find another goal scorer, learn how to break out of your own zone and Pasta could be a little more creative when he receives a good pass. Maybe Pasta could fake the shot the odd time and set someone else up for an opportunity. Last night in 3 on 3 Fleury came right out and challenged him because he knew he was going to shoot. He had Zacha with him so he could of faked the shot and slid the puck over to Pavel. Pasta is a great scorer but the goalies know they can concentrate solely on him shooting.

In addition, Gryz and JDB do nothing for thr team's success and have to go in order to free up some very useful cap space.

• Haha
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
This season since he has come back from his injury he has not been as good as he was in previous seasons when he along with McAvoy were statistically one the most effective pairings in the NHL.

Both the eye test and stats will tell you that.

I don't see anyone saying Gryz has been particularly good this season so not sure who you are railing against here.

IMG_4309.jpeg

Bit of a free fall for the analytical darling. We talk about Jake underperforming in his contract year, Grz isn’t too far behind him.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
A few things, top priority is to find another goal scorer, learn how to break out of your own zone and Pasta could be a little more creative when he receives a good pass. Maybe Pasta could fake the shot the odd time and set someone else up for an opportunity. Last night in 3 on 3 Fleury came right out and challenged him because he knew he was going to shoot. He had Zacha with him so he could of faked the shot and slid the puck over to Pavel. Pasta is a great scorer but the goalies know they can concentrate solely on him shooting.

In addition, Gryz and JDB do nothing for thr team's success and have to go in order to free up some very useful cap space.

I have a hard time critiquing Pasta right now - he's on pace for his best PPG of his career and I can't remember where I saw the stat, but he was third in the league for how much offense he produces compared to the rest of the team.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I did notice. He came back. Both had 20 shifts. Also Gryz makes 3.6 million and is a 5th defensemen in toi. He has one goal. The bruins have no confidence in him when it matters so what is the purpose in keeping him? Guessing it’s more his value around the league.

He’s a soft target because he’s not very good anymore and they continually try to replace him for the playoffs by knocking him down the depth chart and that’s when he was playing well

He is definitely not the only one, point taken there

I am not going to argue he's been good, because he hasn't been. If he has value around the league, then clearly he isn't garbage. I am just pointing out that there is a cadre of fans here who whenever the Bruins lose, he is one of the go-to options to bash because he is small and doesn't hit very often (and when he does, he gets zero credit). And this even when he was playing really well. And honestly, if his TOI is 5th on the team, then it's hard to see how much he is to blame for blown leads or crap play. There are four other D-men who should get more of the shit for that.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I have a hard time critiquing Pasta right now - he's on pace for his best PPG of his career and I can't remember where I saw the stat, but he was third in the league for how much offense he produces compared to the rest of the team.
No argument Pasta is a great player and produces. This team does need some creativity due to the lack offense from the rest of the team. The goalies could not concentrate so much on his shot if he decided to pass to a mate on occasion and would also give him more of the net with his shot.

Bottom line we are missing a 25 to 30 goal scorer to provide additional offense and take some pressure off of Pasta.

JayMark

Jul 13, 2022
No argument Pasta is a great player and produces. This team does need some creativity due to the lack offense from the rest of the team. The goalies could not concentrate so much on his shot if he decided to pass to a mate on occasion and would also give him more of the net with his shot.

Bottom line we are missing a 25 to 30 goal scorer to provide additional offense and take some pressure off of Pasta.
Should be DeBrusk.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Should be DeBrusk.

Jake has 4 goals.
Radko Gudas has 5.
Radko Gudas is not a ""goalscorer"" per say.
We know how he plays, yet....

Which begs the question...what the hell are you doing out there Jake?
Honestly, on that shot where you're 25' from in front of the net and you ring it off the glass....dude...at least make contact with the tender with a low shot so there's a rebound.
Dude is such a a liability.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Forgot to mention Frederic looked very good last night

Skating better and more assertive

Geekie needs to be a center

Bruins center group very good - kudos to whoever recommended trading for Zacha and signing Geekie

Monty needs to stop dicking around with the first line

I would like DeBrusk to stick with Geekie who’s a North-South player who just goes where he wants and has skill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad