GDT: Game 30: Flyers @ Sabres - 12/8 1pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Has the post game interviews been posted yet? I couldn't hang around after the game.

EDIT: Nevermind I found them on the Sabres website.

Reactions: Fearnot

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Oh ok. Thanks for clarifying

He was doing his faux tough guy act and was basically called on it by Simmonds. He looked scared and didn’t engage him. Then Patrick slashed him late and he goes down dramatically. Gets up and does nothing.

Either follow through on being tough or just stop it.
Patrick also said "stop being a bitch, all you do is dive "

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Gudas needs a broken orbital for being a prick. Hope him a slow leaky recovery.

This team was garbage from top to bottom not including jack and Nathan for his fight lol.

I keep saying this team needs a line 2 driver. we are a one line offensive team and a one line defensive team trying to play matchups and losing especially when half our defense I out and our goalie. This is the interesting part on this board. people recognize and want more offense but don't wanna trade picks etc to get it. The arguments will ensue...

Cant believe I worked 11 hours today and rushed home excited to watch this clown car of a game....

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Patrick also said "stop being a *****, all you do is dive "

he wasn't wrong, risto had his chances to be an actual tough guy and fail to deliver as always. He's honestly a defensive rat ala marchand etc who throws his hits then runs. I love the hits when they come but hate seeing this side of him. Simmonds scared the bejesus out of him and it was clear as day on his face lol

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Which would still be a huge improvement. I've never thought they'd improve by the 35 points necessary to compete for a playoff spot.

I know. :)

So let's not start a negative spiral in this sub-forum, everyone should just appreciate that this team is progressing - even if this season might end up bottom-10 this season.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Post-Game Report: 12/8 vs. Philadelphia

Final Score

1st2nd3rdOTSOFinalSOG
Flyers
(12-12-3)
Sabres
(17-9-4)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Game Summary
Event Summary

Top Notes
  • With today’s loss, the Sabres fell to 9-3-2 at home this season and 12-1-3 when scoring first this season.
  • Jack Eichel’s two goals today give him a two-point effort in four of his last five games. He ranks third in the NHL with 14 multi-point games this season, one game behind Mikko Rantanen and Nathan MacKinnon for the league lead.
  • With the primary assist on Eichel’s first goal, Sam Reinhart has pushed his point streak to a career-high six games (5+4). Reinhart now has 22 points (8+14) in his last 22 games.
  • Jeff Skinner’s assist on Eichel‘s first goal gives him at least a point in each of his last eight home games (8+3).
  • With his assist on Eichel’s second goal, Lawrence Pilut recorded his first career NHL point.
Today’s Goaltenders
Today’s Stats
TeamGoaltenderDecisionSV%GAA
FlyersStolarzW.9332.00
SabresUllmarkL.8546.00
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Updated Season Stats
TeamGoaltenderRecordSV%GAA
FlyersStolarz2-1-1.9072.94
SabresUllmark5-1-3.9133.04
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Post-Game Audio
Sabres head coach Phil Housley
Sabres forward Jack Eichel
Sabres defenseman Lawrence Pilut
Sabres goaltender Linus Ullmark
Flyers head coach Dave Hakstol
Flyers forward Claude Giroux
Flyers forward James van Riemsdyk
Flyers defenseman Ivan Provorov
Flyers goaltender Anthony Stolarz

FINAL: Flyers 6 - Sabres 2

Philadelphia rides a 4-goal third period to victory over Buffalo.

LEXUS POSTGAME REPORT

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
The refs were one-sided and terrible in the first 2 periods. Then when Buffalo FINALLY got a power play, Reinhart commits a brutal turnover and they get scored on shorthanded. It was all downhill from there.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I didn't watch this game as when I finally got home, it was gross on the score sheet. Can someone give me an idea of why we got demolished against a bottom feeder?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I didn't watch this game as when I finally got home, it was gross on the score sheet. Can someone give me an idea of why we got demolished against a bottom feeder?
Physically abused. They didn't come to play in the 2nd or 3rd period. The line construction was terrible. This team is in a rut. They need to string together a few wins or this could get ugly soon. The pressure is on. The next few games will say a lot about this team's near future.

Reactions: Vito_81

UnleashRasmus

Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Physically abused. They didn't come to play in the 2nd or 3rd period. The line construction was terrible. This team is in a rut. They need to string together a few wins or this could get ugly soon. The pressure is on. The next few games will say a lot about this team's near future.

Yeah, I think everyone saw it coming with how it was top heavy with the Eichel line producing and the lack of production from the bottom. However, I thought we had at least enough push from the D core up. We'll have to see some change soon.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Yeah, I think everyone saw it coming with how it was top heavy with the Eichel line producing and the lack of production from the bottom. However, I thought we had at least enough push from the D core up. We'll have to see some change soon.
The injuries on defense certainly dont help. Tennyson and Beaulieu are brutal together. Beaulieu has done well this year, but if he's put in a situatio. Where he's forces to play for defense than offense, then we're in trouble.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I saw two periods of complete sluggishness and no energy that looked like people who weren't prepared to play a full game.

They looked very prepared to play when the game started. Then they started getting a bit cute thinking they would steamroll the Flyers with how things were initially easy on the attack. Philly made good adjustments along with amping up the nasty. We began to break down systemically and scramble around in reaction to it. Our coaching staff waited way too long to adjust to what was happening. We were down 4-2 by the time they started adjusting the lines.

Getting McCabe and Scandella back should help mitigate the impact of the nasty. Dressing Girgs would have helped as well. Any word yet on why he wasn’t dressed.

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
They looked very prepared to play when the game started. Then they started getting a bit cute thinking they would steamroll the Flyers with how things were initially easy on the attack. Philly made good adjustments along with amping up the nasty. We began to break down systemically and scramble around in reaction to it. Our coaching staff waiting way too long to adjust to what was happening. We were down 4-2 by the time they started adjusting the lines.

Getting McCabe and Scandella back should help mitigate the impact of the nasty. Dressing Girgs would have helped as well. Any word yet on why he wasn’t dressed.

Agreed. Buffalo could've easily been up 5-1 in the first, if not for some cute passing tries and the Flyers goalie standing on his head.

UnleashRasmus

Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
The injuries on defense certainly dont help. Tennyson and Beaulieu are brutal together. Beaulieu has done well this year, but if he's put in a situatio. Where he's forces to play for defense than offense, then we're in trouble.

Watching Tennyson play, makes me ill. The thought that he's getting regular minutes in the NHL, is baffling. It's one thing when you're using him as a vet in the AHL, but he's brutal in his own zone, and his zone reads are garbage. The fact that I've liked Beaulieu this year, definitely makes me pray to the altar of Steve Smith for the improvement he's been able to preach to Nathan. In no way do I think Nathan deserves much more than a 1 year extension if the Sabres were to go that route, but he's night and day better this year from last.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Watching Tennyson play, makes me ill. The thought that he's getting regular minutes in the NHL, is baffling. It's one thing when you're using him as a vet in the AHL, but he's brutal in his own zone, and his zone reads are garbage. The fact that I've liked Beaulieu this year, definitely makes me pray to the altar of Steve Smith for the improvement he's been able to preach to Nathan. In no way do I think Nathan deserves much more than a 1 year extension if the Sabres were to go that route, but he's night and day better this year from last.
Tennyson is the 10th dman in the organization (Should be 11th but Guhles’ had a tough year) and he hardly saw the ice last night (11:32). Our issues yesterday fall on the top guys that didn’t play well. Other than Jack no forward really played well.

Don’t get me wrong, Tennyson is heartburn inducing and I cringe hearing he is in the lineup for sure. But if the 11:32 Tennyson played was our only problem yesterday we would have won.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Mittlestadt has been very disappointing for me this season, he has shown some flashes of brilliant plays/passes but I am starting to wonder if he really is franchise and if he can step up into that pivitol 2C role that we so desperately need.

I also don't want to keep Housley bashing but for everyone during the win streak telling me how great Housley's adjustments in game were, your blindness to winning is a detriment to real conversation on this forum.

I call it how it is, thats the truth. Housley will not be the coach to take this team to the next level.

Reactions: Fearnot

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Tennyson is the 10th dman in the organization (Should be 11th but Guhles’ had a tough year) and he hardly saw the ice last night (11:32). Our issues yesterday fall on the top guys that didn’t play well. Other than Jack no forward really played well.

Don’t get me wrong, Tennyson is heartburn inducing and I cringe hearing he is in the lineup for sure. But if the 11:32 Tennyson played was our only problem yesterday we would have won.

that 11:32 was an utter disaster, however. Philly got 2 of there goals then

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
Sobotka needs to start sitting. Getting our defenseman back from injury will help too obviously. Not too worried about the losing streak just yet. It’s a long season.

UnleashRasmus

Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

This is true, there just have to be better waiver claims available out there at some point than sticking to the same trash. A guy like Pontus Aberg would have been a much more serviceable addition when he was waiver exempt either from Edmonton or Anaheim. This is just me being frustrated with not improving the "roster" when it isn't working. I like the improvement that Thompson has shown for sure.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
This is true, there just have to be better waiver claims available out there at some point than sticking to the same trash. A guy like Pontus Aberg would have been a much more serviceable addition when he was waiver exempt either from Edmonton or Anaheim. This is just me being frustrated with not improving the "roster" when it isn't working. I like the improvement that Thompson has shown for sure.
I’m confused. I thought you were annoyed with Tennyson but now you’re talking about forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad