GDT: Game 30: Flyers @ Sabres - 12/8 1pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I wonder if this is like last season - a bit too much time on their hands at home, so some pour, err poor off-ice habits leave a lot of guys unable to perform?
I think it’s a bit much to go to “hey they’re drunks”

I’d chalk much of today up to a variety of coaching decisions.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Skinner-Eichel-Pominville
Thompson-Mittelstadt-Reinhart
Sheary-Rodrigues-Okposo
Berglund-Larsson-Girgensons

IMO this would get the best out of a second scoring line, and still maintain defensive roles.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think it’s a bit much to go to “hey they’re drunks”

I’d chalk much of today up to a variety of coaching decisions.

Maybe not drunks, but too much of the highlife and not enough dedication to being game-ready is often a trend with youngsters.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I don't disagree about the poor off ice habits but the #1 offender there didn't seem to have an issue today

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
At least we are inching towards Housleys hopeful demise, only positives I can find out of this loss and Kakko or Hughes are game changers.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Yep, because even if he is relatively cold on that line, it means he might be able to convert on what Skinner-Eichel can do with their feet. When he's not with dynamic skaters, it becomes apparent just how done he is.
Agree talent was spread out better BUT hard to deny there was some real chemistry there

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If Housley wants to earn my respect he should tell everyone to keep their gear on, send them back on the ice and just bag skate the hell out of them. Playing bad is one thing, totally quitting and giving no effort is completely unacceptable and can't be tolerated.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Nonetheless, need the speed spread out a bit. I stopped noticing Reinhart's improvement in skating when they put him back on that line.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
It's the same thing Phil did last year - find something that worked and then take it apart to mitigate his lack of overall roster talent. The diluted talent doesn't seem to work, but he has to find a way to get SOMETHING out of the rest of the non-Eichel line forwards.

This is what happens when a coach doesn’t have a plan and long term structure. Sometimes a line or two will work, but he doesn’t see why the overall setup might work.

So we go blender to hope the magic happens.

Abraham de Lacy

First 20 minutes were good, but Philadelphia were good too. The "accidents" started happening and goals piling up against Buffalo.

Just one of those weird games.

Perhaps a bit of unhealthy arrogance started creeping in too.

This essentially happens to all teams at some point. Don't make too much of it is my advice.

Cheers

Jagemon

Sep 27, 2005
I’m asking why you said now which I took to mean I’m constantly saying Risto is an embarrassment. Which is not the case.

What I meant was did he do something now that would make you think that way. I turned the game off a while back but saw someone wanting Risto to drop the gloves which makes no sense whatsoever.

Get Risto injured for no reason and that d is tank-esque.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
What I meant was did he do something now that would make you think that way. I turned the game off a while back but saw someone wanting Risto to drop the gloves which makes no sense whatsoever.

Get Risto injured for no reason and that d is tank-esque.
Oh ok. Thanks for clarifying

He was doing his faux tough guy act and was basically called on it by Simmonds. He looked scared and didn’t engage him. Then Patrick slashed him late and he goes down dramatically. Gets up and does nothing.

Either follow through on being tough or just stop it.

Reactions: Bologna 1

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
The luck is definitely starting to even itself out now. But it's not all luck (obviously).

Correct. The determination they played with was not there today, and I didn't think it was over the last five games, sans perhaps The Leafs game.

I expect them to be a .500 team. Not the no heart group of today.

Nelson, McCabe and Hutton would have made no difference today, though Tennyson was weak on the fourth goal, as was Boil You.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Based on what?

I saw a team that came out flying. Philly adjusted and got back into the game. We made no adjustments until it was too late.

Seems kind of cheap attacking them like that

I saw two periods of complete sluggishness and no energy that looked like people who weren't prepared to play a full game.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I saw two periods of complete sluggishness and no energy that looked like people who weren't prepared to play a full game.

That can cut both ways. Philadelphia adjusted their nz coverage and forced a ton of turnovers. Buffalo had a hard time because of how disorganized they were after the turnovers.

Combine that with some key breakdowns in their own end and an ill conceived backpass on their PP. it got ugly and Buffalo didn’t adjust at all for the third. If anything they had an even uglier time by not matching lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad