GDT: Game #3 | St. Louis Blues vs Calgary Flames | "Team Defense gone Missing Edition"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
None of it was/has been confirmed (outside of Jerabek telling reporters that he was "in" just a few minutes ago). So the only comment we have from Dunn is "No comment".

some one made the comment that Dunn has known he was not playing tonight and he was pissed about it.

Reactions: Bendak

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Lol. Yeah, try to paint me as the triggered one.

Just an FYI, if we're going to talk about coaching options let's talk about people who are actually available and not people in retirement. I thought this would be common sense but I guess not.
I dont' see how Tippett's adviser position would keep him from pursuing a head coaching opportunity if one is available. The caveat would be if he has already accepted the head coaching position there, but its not official yet. (If so, I think he would be a good choice for them, but until then he should be on everyone's list for coaching vacancies.)

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
some one made the comment that Dunn has known he was not playing tonight and he was pissed about it.
As far as I know, there was a reporter who asked Dunn, and said, "there was a terse 'no comment'". We're running with that. Who wouldn't be upset at being a healthy scratch? But there's nothing to indicate he's had some unusual response to that news, let alone even an official confirmation of the fact. Sounds like its the plan, but Yeo was hedging when asked.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Lol. Yeah, try to paint me as the triggered one.

Just an FYI, if we're going to talk about coaching options let's talk about people who are actually available and not people in retirement. I thought this would be common sense but I guess not.

You have your opinion. I respected it.

Now please stop being triggered and move on.

We have a big game tonight! We need to be calm and collected.

Go Blues! I'm expecting good things with Edmundson back!

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009

Yeah, the reporters drew the conclusion based on the practice lines + him having an extended conversation with Yeo after practice. The reporters asked both Yeo and Dunn -- Yeo said nothing was set in stone. Dunn said "No comment"

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Interesting that so many believe that Yeo is on the hot seat already.

If I thought there was a chance of moving on anytime soon then I'd be a Flames fan tonight.
I don't think he's on the hot seat. Not after 2 games. But I do think everyone in the organization has high expectations for this year, and will not tolerate mediocre play. If this team doesn't look like a safe playoff team after a couple months, I think we'll see something change.

There was no public hint that Yeo took much blame for the way the season ended last year, in his own season-ending interviews with Armstrong. But maybe he did get a message that he wasn't absolved of blame because of the flawed roster. Certainly hard to argue that the PP doesn't lay at his feet.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
I have no problem with Dunn's no comment. I guess JR is saying Yeo still has big plans for him but needs more out of him shift to shift. IMO if Yeo wanted to make a statement about playing shift to shift sit some of the Vets that are playing as bad or if not worse than Dunn that would send a message sitting a 2nd year guy... makes no sense..

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I dont' see how Tippett's adviser position would keep him from pursuing a head coaching opportunity if one is available. The caveat would be if he has already accepted the head coaching position there, but its not official yet. (If so, I think he would be a good choice for them, but until then he should be on everyone's list for coaching vacancies.)

Bingo. Outstanding comment.

Armstrong hired Tippett in Dallas and worked with him for 6 seasons. So clearly there is a great working relationship there.

To me, he is an option unless he is locked in to be Seattle's next coach. He isn't...right now. Right now he is just helping Seattle design their infrastructure.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Starting Monahan over ROR in my fantasy league tonight, so naturally I expect lots of points from ROR tonight.

Will be radio listening at work yet again. Don’t make my night suck any more boys.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Seeing that Ed is back in the lineup
ron-swanson.gif

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
So if they do fire Yeo then who??

Dave Tippett would be the first person that comes to mind. Army hired him to be his HC in Dallas. He would have easily got the job here the summer before Yeo became the coach in waiting if he would have been available.

I was hoping Chicago had an equally terrible start and Quennville got canned before Yeo. Giving Army the extra ammo to go after him.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Bingo. Outstanding comment.

Armstrong hired Tippett in Dallas and worked with him for 6 seasons. So clearly there is a great working relationship there.

To me, he is an option unless he is locked in to be Seattle's next coach. He isn't...right now. Right now he is just helping Seattle design their infrastructure.
In the past 10 years, Tippett's claim to fame is making it to the WCF one time. All the other years he either missed the playoffs (6 times) or lost in the first round (twice).

The game has passed him by. He'a defensive-minded dinosaur of a coach at this point. I don't even know why you'd want the guy so I'm trying to be optimistic here that he isn't an option. But you do you.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'd rather not go with Tippett. I think we need to find a coach that knows how to play offensive, just not at the expense of the defense. I feel like any time we've tried to open it up and be aggressive offensively, it just leads to train-wreck defense and transition for us.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I know many fans on the main board have been vocal about not liking Vigneault, but that guy can get some results out of some only okay line-ups.

He just manages to make use of everyone's abilities and potential.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
A week between games was too much. So many people have already bee-lined to the looney bin.

We have played TWO games. You cannot draw any conclusions, or make any changes based on TWO games. And we certainly are not firing a coach after TWO games. TWO.

Dunn has looked like hot garbage, sitting isn’t going to hurt him. He isn’t a fabrege egg, people are acting like we need to coddle him and protect his precious fragile ego or something. He’s a big boy, if he can’t take this like an adult then he should get benched the next game too or sent to San Antonio until his game gets better. He’s Barbashev part deux right now, and that isn’t acceptable. He hasn’t made it impossible to sit him, so we’re sitting him.

We also need to see what Jerabek has. I’m disappointed there aren’t more people excited to see his debut.

A wise priest once said “any old donkey can tear down a barn, it takes a special one to build it back up.” All of this negativity and whinging is predictable and tiresome. Keep the big picture in mind, quit trying to find a scapegoat for every single frickin thing, and cheer for the boys! I still can’t believe Allen got Bronx-cheered in the first game, that was embarrassing for whoever was doing it. Pathetic even. All some people want to do is complain complain complain, they relish in that more than celebrating any good thing this team does.

It’s game three, let’s do this ish.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
In the past 10 years, Tippett's claim to fame is making it to the WCF one time. All the other years he either missed the playoffs (6 times) or lost in the first round (twice).

The game has passed him by. He'a defensive-minded dinosaur of a coach at this point. I don't even know why you'd want the guy so I'm trying to be optimistic here that he isn't an option. But you do you.
Yes, and he did it with a pretty weak roster in Arizona. He got a lot more out of less than most coaches would have in the same situation.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yes, and he did it with a pretty weak roster in Arizona. He got a lot more out of less than most coaches would have in the same situation.
Riiight, a team that he did absolutely nothing with any other year... That year was pretty clearly more of a fluke than showcasing his actual ability.

He followed that up with 5 straight years of missing the playoffs for heaven's sake lmao. He got nothing out of them.

m1a2lt

Jul 13, 2009
Evan Sporer wrote a great article in the Athletic on why the Blues have been defensively challenged through actually analysis instead of hyperbole. Basically, he points out with the "offense first" mentality, that just a simple poke check has put the Blues on the wrong side of too many plays coming back the other way. Comes down to the Blues may need to temper their aggressiveness on the offense to allow a little more strength on the backend.

Maybe he can come talk to Yeo...

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO

Want him? I'm not sure. I'm just saying my opinion is he's a realistic option considering our GM's history with him.

As for his results, he didn't have great teams to work with in Phoenix. That's obvious.
The new guy in Arizona took them to last place in the West last year. So clearly Tippett wasn't the problem.
Tippett took the Coyotes to the playoffs in his first season after they only got 79 points the year before.
Context is important.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Evan Sporer wrote a great article in the Athletic on why the Blues have been defensively challenged through actually analysis instead of hyperbole. Basically, he points out with the "offense first" mentality, that just a simple poke check has put the Blues on the wrong side of too many plays coming back the other way. Comes down to the Blues may need to temper their aggressiveness on the offense to allow a little more strength on the backend.

Maybe he can come talk to Yeo...

It's not that simple though. Good coaches teach the players when is the right time to push it going forward, and how to do it. Every time this club has tried to be aggressive offensively in recent times, it's led to disasters. That's an issue with Hitch's and Yeo's systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad