GDT: Game #3 | St. Louis Blues vs Calgary Flames | "Team Defense gone Missing Edition"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
Also on a side note. are they playing a different D scheme than last year? I remember that Hitch start with a new scheme and the D went south that was one of the issues the year they let him go. then Yeo came in and changed it back and they took off. just wondering since the D was supposed to be a strong point for us,.

Reactions: Bendak

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Also on a side note. are they playing a different D scheme than last year? I remember that Hitch start with a new scheme and the D went south that was one of the issues the year they let him go. then Yeo came in and changed it back and they took off. just wondering since the D was supposed to be a strong point for us,.
The coverage within in the D-Zone is a total dumpster fire because they’re playing that zone hybrid. I don’t recall that being implemented early on in Yeo’s tenure, in fact early on it seemed (at least when the team has had success) they had the D-men hold the Blue line in an attempt to cause a turnover and quickly break into transition. I have no idea what the plan is as we sit here today, but it’s not working.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
The coverage within in the D-Zone is a total dumpster fire because they’re playing that zone hybrid. I don’t recall that being implemented early on in Yeo’s tenure, in fact early on it seemed (at least when the team has had success) they had the D-men hold the Blue line in an attempt to cause a turnover and quickly break into transition. I have no idea what the plan is as we sit here today, but it’s not working.

Agreed I have no clue what they are doing other than running around leaving the middle of the ice open. why would you changed what worked so well over the last few years...

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'd expect Berube interim, until we find a permanent solution.
Doesn't Berube also have a big hand in the powerplay though? Not sure I'd like that, but he would certainly be one of the leading options.

I'm also positive the Blues are going to come out flat tonight. 5 days between games, what could possibly go wrong???

Reactions: Bendak and Dbrownss

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
Doesn't Berube also have a big hand in the powerplay though? Not sure I'd like that, but he would certainly be one of the leading options.

I'm also positive the Blues are going to come out flat tonight. 5 days between games, what could possibly go wrong???

I am sure he has a say, I would love to know who picks the personnel, is it Yeo or Berube.. Some of the formations drive me nuts. but the PP is at times looking very good. so it may just be bad luck right now.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I'd expect Berube interim, until we find a permanent solution.

I think Berube is the obvious choice. Some others:

Dave Tippett? He worked with Armstrong in Dallas. He was hired by Seattle's NHL group as an adviser so I don't know if he is available.

Pull Darryl Sutter out of retirement. He had a year off to rest. He could be ready to get back in the game. Especially with a contender like the Blues. He'd certainly tighten things up.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I am sure he has a say, I would love to know who picks the personnel, is it Yeo or Berube.. Some of the formations drive me nuts. but the PP is at times looking very good. so it may just be bad luck right now.
I dont think its looked great. Chicago's defense is flat out bad and shouldnt be used as a barometer of success. I think there was a couple good looks against The Jets though. The structure and player placement is awful though. I don't know how many times I've seen our LHS guys rotate to the left side and Bozak rotate to the right. Mind numbing

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Right, I wouldn't like Berube as the permanent guy. Maybe Vigneault? Not really sure though, haven't stayed up-to-date on the available options.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think Berube is the obvious choice. Some others:

Dave Tippett? He worked with Armstrong in Dallas. He was hired by Seattle's NHL group as an adviser so I don't know if he is available.

Pull Darryl Sutter out of retirement. He had a year off to rest. He could be ready to get back in the game. Especially with a contender like the Blues. He'd certainly tighten things up.
I don't think either of those 2 are options.

I think it'd be Berube or hiring Vigneault. Not everyone is a fan of him but he took both the Canucks and Rangers to the Cup. I'm pretty certain Armstrong would want a proven coach rather than some young rookie or something. He'd be the top option.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
I dont think its looked great. Chicago's defense is flat out bad and shouldnt be used as a barometer of success. I think there was a couple good looks against The Jets though. The structure and player placement is awful though. I don't know how many times I've seen our LHS guys rotate to the left side and Bozak rotate to the right. Mind numbing
yes very much so..

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO

I think it'd be Berube or hiring Vigneault. Not everyone is a fan of him but he took both the Canucks and Rangers to the Cup. I'm pretty certain Armstrong would want a proven coach rather than some young rookie or something. He'd be the top option.

Sutter would pretty much be Hitchcock part 2. That might be exactly what this team needs if they continue to play shootout hockey(losing shootout hockey). A veteran, cup winning hard arse to reign the team back in.

Tippett was hired by Doug Armstrong in Dallas and stuck with him a long time so there's history there. I don't think he's under any sort of contract with the Seattle group. He's just an adviser.

Unless Sutter is absolutely done and Tippett can't leave Seattle, I don't see how both aren't options.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Sutter would pretty much be Hitchcock part 2. That might be exactly what this team needs if they continue to play shootout hockey(losing shootout hockey). A veteran, cup winning hard arse to reign the team back in.

Tippett was hired by Doug Armstrong in Dallas and stuck with him a long time so there's history there. I don't think he's under any sort of contract with the Seattle group. He's just an adviser.

Unless Sutter is absolutely done and Tippett can't leave Seattle, I don't see how both aren't options.
Well one guy retired and the other is with another organization so I don't know what the confusion is there.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

I'd like him, he plays an uptempo style. I've seen people criticize his dzone system, and I'm not going to go dig up old videos of the rangers but...I cant stand Yeo's passive box system, so I'll take some high even hockey. Another criticism was his use of rookies too though. So we may not be better off in that regard.

I'd really like to see Kyrou get some shifts on the PP. Maybe not staple him in, but he creates chances on his own. He knows how to open lanes and freeze defenders. The PP wouldn't be so dependent on a "system".

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
Who can prevent forest Flames?

ewFf4Cv.png

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Well one guy retired and the other is with another organization so I don't know what the confusion is there.

Coaches never come out of retirement? That's news to me.

And Tippett is just an adviser for Seattle. He's not exactly in line to be the next head coach. He's pretty much doing the work that Murray Craven did for the Vegas Knights. Whether he can move on to a head coaching job this year, I don't know. It doesn't seem impossible.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Coaches never come out of retirement? That's news to me.

And Tippett is just an adviser for Seattle. He's not exactly in line to be the next head coach. He's pretty much doing the work that Murray Craven did for the Vegas Knights. Whether he can move on to a head coaching job this year, I don't know. It doesn't seem impossible.
Most don't...

Seems pretty obvious that Vigneault is a more realistic option given the circumstances (especially over a guy in retirement) but I guess you just want to argue.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Most don't...

Seems pretty obvious that Vigneault is a more realistic option given the circumstances (especially over a guy in retirement) but I guess you just want to argue.

Yikes. Why are you so triggered?

I just brought up options. You don't have to be a jerk. You have no clue who is a realistic option. Neither do I. Hence the discussion(what you call "argument"). Time to move on.

Go Blues!

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
Does anyone have the quote from Dunn on him sitting tonight? work blocks somethings..

None of it was/has been confirmed (outside of Jerabek telling reporters that he was "in" just a few minutes ago). So the only comment we have from Dunn is "No comment".

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yikes. Why are you so triggered?

I just brought up options. You don't have to be a jerk. You have no clue who is a realistic option. Neither do I. Hence the discussion(what you call "argument"). Time to move on.

Go Blues!
Lol. Yeah, try to paint me as the triggered one.

Just an FYI, if we're going to talk about coaching options let's talk about people who are actually available and not people in retirement. I thought this would be common sense but I guess not.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
None of it was/has been confirmed (outside of Jerabek telling reporters that he was "in" just a few minutes ago). So the only comment we have from Dunn is "No comment".
Yep, I dont believe there was any comment. JR I believe did say Dunn was visibly upset over this.

There's no consistency in what's said and done. Vets arent being punished, and they arent putting the best players on the ice to succeed. I have absolutely no way to prove it but I'm pretty confident in Kyrou and Thomas being better options then Steen, Bozak and Perron. I don't recall the abilities of Bozak and Perron on the PP, but I dont remember seeing highlights of them being the lynchpin either. What I do know is watching Thomas and Kyrou, they are PP QBs. They move defenders around and distribute the puck along with the ability to finish too. Yeo is playing to his vets and some of them should be on the outside looking in when giving the benefit of the doubt. Steen and Boumeester have enough recent body of work to know they cant be relied on in certain roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad