GDT: Game #3: Sharks at Ducks, 7pm

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Still betting Yurtaykin takes off. Imagine how much better he’d look if he wasn’t the only player on the team that could skate or make a pass?

so:

4-1 Sharks
Yurtaykin x2, Meier, Couture

Reactions: Erep and Phu

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
One reason to fire PDB is that the players being brought up through the pipeline are absolutely not scheme fits. It's like drafting a pocket passer to play as a scrambler.

But also, what kind of player fits a PDB system anyways? He likes puck protection along the walls and mobile defensemen?
I’m not sure what the system is, but one very obvious flaw is that through the neutral zone the dmen keep too wide a gap between them, trying to contend wide entries and opening up the middle. As that happens the dmen on the opposite side of the puck has to slide over which then opens up the far wing, and when the dmen covering the puck carrier doesn’t prevent a pass from getting through to the opposing player rushing up the middle it turns into a 2 on 1. It’s even worse when one dman steps up at the offensive blue line, that pinch only works if the other dman is way over towards the middle to retrieve the puck if it’s chipped by the first dman. That to me seems like a very easy thing to adjust, but too much of the offense is predicated on keeping the dmen wide so the forwards can chip the pucks up the boards to them because the team doesn’t generate offense any other way.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I’m not sure what the system is, but one very obvious flaw is that through the neutral zone the dmen keep too wide a gap between them, trying to contend wide entries and opening up the middle. As that happens the dmen on the opposite side of the puck has to slide over which then opens up the far wing, and when the dmen covering the puck carrier doesn’t prevent a pass from getting through to the opposing player rushing up the middle it turns into a 2 on 1. It’s even worse when one dman steps up at the offensive blue line, that pinch only works if the other dman is way over towards the middle to retrieve the puck if it’s chipped by the first dman. That to me seems like a very easy thing to adjust, but too much of the offense is predicated on keeping the dmen wide so the forwards can chip the pucks up the boards to them because the team doesn’t generate offense any other way.
I definitely agree with this defensive structure against the rush being an issue. The defense forces the play wide and opens up the center of the ice with nobody to cover the most dangerous part of the ice. But I think that mostly points to some desync between the defense and what the forwards should be doing. What the defense is doing there isn't a massive problem if it's part of a larger scheme set up so that the first forward back is covering the opening. But we've seen that that isn't the case. First forward back is always behind the play since we also have a huuuge gap between the forwards and the defense. On breakouts, it's basically all 3 forwards up ice and in the o-zone, it's 3 forwards below the slot. The defense doesn't have a lot of support from the forwards from what I can see. What we need them to do is to adjust what the forwards are doing so that they can support the defense is doing. Right now, I see forwards and defensemen basically playing separate games.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
What’s the deal with Heed? I would presume he would play before Carrick? I thought he would play before Middleton.

Honestly, this feels like a “refresh” year. I wish we had our 1st, but since we don’t I guess it’s all in.

PackShark

Oct 7, 2017
From the eye test from the first two games, this may be our worst roster in 15-20 years.

Ducks 4-1
Rakell, Kase, Silverberg, Lindholm
Hertl

Reactions: Sysreq

SharksFan17

Apr 17, 2017
Hopefully Sharks can breakthrough against the Ducks
4-2 Sharks

Going with all Rookies with the freshest legs off the back to back
Yurtaykin, Bergmann, Brodzinski, except E. Karlsson with an empty netter.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I think our best bet is to sell Vlasic for parts. I know HF says he has negative value, but fundamentally, I disagree. He is still known as one of the best around the league. Someone will take a shutdown defenseman of his pedigree for a mid-6 RW and a good prospect. That would fill a massive gap in our roster and give us much needed cap space.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I think our best bet is to sell Vlasic for parts. I know HF says he has negative value, but fundamentally, I disagree. He is still known as one of the best around the league. Someone will take a shutdown defenseman of his pedigree for a mid-6 RW and a good prospect. That would fill a massive gap in our roster and give us much needed cap space.

he has a NMC. Doubt he waives

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
No SNOG tonight. What I really want to see is the Sharks putting the last two games behind them and doing kind of a reset to start the season. If the Wings and Kings play their first game tonight, the Sharks should also look at this game as their "first game", symbolically speaking.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
I think the Sharks top guys are rusty still. Missing easy passes, fanning on shots, fumbling pucks, missing the net by a wide margin. Probally has alot to do with them not playing much in the pre-season. And add on the fact the Vegas was looking for payback and played these two games like it was a playoff game. I think if these two games were played mid season it would have been different. Atleast the home game would have. Oh and obviously not having Kane hurt also.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I think the Sharks top guys are rusty still. Missing easy passes, fanning on shots, fumbling pucks, missing the net by a wide margin. Probally has alot to do with them not playing much in the pre-season. And add on the fact the Vegas was looking for payback and played these two games like it was a playoff game. I think if these two games were played mid season it would have been different. Atleast the home game would have. Oh and obviously not having Kane hurt also.

If it is rust and we still had DeBoer say we won't play with a real NHL Roster until the last two games of the preseason, than that decision is already more dumb than I thought it was.

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
Just please have more effort tonight. Couture has to be a captain and rally everyone like Pavs did. It would be nice if we get solid goaltending from Dell and maybe just maybe he can go on a positive streak in the nets.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
Fire Pete Deboer

fWXct66.jpg

Reactions: Sandisfan

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
It’s amazing to me that after those 2 games against Vegas one player can be singled out for his play enough to be perma-scratched going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00