GDT: Game #3: Sharks at Ducks, 7pm

thenick099

Apr 30, 2016
Santa Clara
Alright that was bad, but I don't think it's time to panic. 79 games left to play and we haven't iced our full lineup yet. There is still plenty of time to turn this around.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I've liked pretty much all of those players performances. The rookies have been solid. And Goodrow and Karlsson have been very good on the PK. The only thing I don't like with Goodrow is his faceoffs on the PK. He's been bad. Every other performance I can live with. It's the stars that have been bad, and I agree with you about Labanc. He's one player that needed to step up and he's looked bad, especially at even strength.

We'll have to see what happens next game.

You can like them all you want but they're not doing enough. Like nowhere near it. Yurtaykin out of that group is the only one doing close to enough. Goodrow and Karlsson being good on the PK isn't good enough. They have to be solid even strength players for their PK work to make a difference and they aren't. The rookies aren't doing enough except for Ferraro. Radil isn't doing much of anything. Neither did Brodzinski outside of maybe two shifts. Bergmann was unnoticeable. All these things together are simply not good enough to win games.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
You can like them all you want but they're not doing enough. Like nowhere near it. Yurtaykin out of that group is the only one doing close to enough. Goodrow and Karlsson being good on the PK isn't good enough. They have to be solid even strength players for their PK work to make a difference and they aren't. The rookies aren't doing enough except for Ferraro. Radil isn't doing much of anything. Neither did Brodzinski outside of maybe two shifts. Bergmann was unnoticeable. All these things together are simply not good enough to win games.

The vets should be leading the way and they just aren't right now. Most of the vets haven't done better than the rookies which is a big problem.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The vets should be leading the way and they just aren't right now. Most of the vets haven't done better than the rookies which is a big problem.

Leading the way only means something if the people they're playing with also belong there. Sorry but Hertl can't carry a Labanc who is playing like trash and a Radil who can only really do one thing at an NHL level. Now Meier should be better with Couture but Thornton is old. Sorensen got hurt and the rest are not good NHL players right now so how do you expect leaders to lead the way if they don't have the subsequent talent and experience supporting them? It's a team game after all.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Leading the way only means something if the people they're playing with also belong there. Sorry but Hertl can't carry a Labanc who is playing like trash and a Radil who can only really do one thing at an NHL level. Now Meier should be better with Couture but Thornton is old. Sorensen got hurt and the rest are not good NHL players right now so how do you expect leaders to lead the way if they don't have the subsequent talent and experience supporting them? It's a team game after all.

Totally agree with this, but throwing out cliches about lack of leadership is a lot easier than an honest assessment of where the team is at lol.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018

Well from what I've seen the vets aren't really doing much more than the rookies. The PP has been putrid (where no rooks play). If the vets were playing better, then there would be less pressure on the younger guys and they might play better.

I just feel it's convenient to put all the blame on the younger players when the vets haven't shown much more so far. Even if he's old, Thornton should still be better than the young guys.

It probably doesn't help either that Deboer is a trash coach.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Well from what I've seen the vets aren't really doing much more than the rookies. The PP has been putrid (where no rooks play). If the vets were playing better, then there would be less pressure on the younger guys and they might play better.

I just feel it's convenient to put all the blame on the younger players when the vets haven't shown much more so far. Even if he's old, Thornton should still be better than the young guys.

It probably doesn't help either that Deboer is a trash coach.

The vets pretty much come down to Burns, Karlsson, Couture, Hertl, and Meier as relied upon scorers. That's it. They needed more last year when they had more solid depth. They need it even more now. The PP is garbage because their system for it is completely stupid. Although, it looked better tonight when they went to the umbrella. They need to do that more. The problem though is that without a real playmaker down low, they're going to be pretty easy to defend and will need incredibly skilled plays every time to score. They only have Karlsson as the playmaker and you need one on the point and down low for a power play to be consistently effective even in spite of poor coaching.

The younger players being not good enough isn't about convenience and it's not really about them. It's about DW and it's about DeBoer. DW overestimated how ready these prospects are except for Ferraro and counting on Labanc to be a top six player when his even strength capabilities are not good on his own are at this point looking like critical mistakes. Counting on a 40 year old Thornton to play better than prime-aged players is just not a good bet to make. This team needs to be well-built around Thornton to carry him where they want to go...not the other way around.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
The Sharks are not going to be winning those 5-4 and 6-5 games this season, so the system needs to change and that might need to start with a coaching change. Need to play a more defensive system. And Jones is not good enough to steal us a bunch of wins. And we need Simek back badly because he seems to be the only Dman that throws hits on a regular basis. Dillon and Burns only hit on occasion and none of our other Dmen are physical at all. And none of our forwards are physical on a regular basis other than Kane and Meier.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
0%. Wilson's never done a midseason replacement and I doubt he suddenly changes his stripes.

Bingo! DW is predictable as f***, and this is just one more area that shows it.

Hasso is the one that is going to have to step up to the plate if we are to get changes this year, and it will have to start with firing DW.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
A guy in Labanc's circumstances is going to be more concerned with getting injured than normal. Particularly on the Sharks where it seems the refs let opponents get away with dirty shots.

That's the downside of contract.

Reactions: Phu

jarr92

May 7, 2013
Does anyone have good video of that Getzlaf breakaway goal? I'm pretty sure I saw Vlasic trying to change when an odd man rush had just started.. I am still so confused, even today.

Edit:

Would still love a better video because I have no F'ing clue what on Earth he was doing here.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Does anyone have good video of that Getzlaf breakaway goal? I'm pretty sure I saw Vlasic trying to change when an odd man rush had just started.. I am still so confused, even today.

Edit:

Would still love a better video because I have no F'ing clue what on Earth he was doing here.

They talked about it being a bad change by Vlassic on TV. He's decided to suck again I guess. At least 3 goals and probably more are the result of something he did wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad