Pre-Game Talk: Game 3 @ Philly (Emery to Start)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
What about putting Moore on Richards line and bring in Carcillo to go on the 4th line.

So something like this:

Nash - Stepan - St. Louis
Moore - Richards - Hagelin
Pouliot - Brassard - Zuccarello
Carcillo - Boyle - Dorsett

Moore is a gamer and can play on that line, better than Boyle, Dorsett or Carcillo. Damn we need Kreider back.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Good sign? Whoopi

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 30

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Richards needs to be moved back to wing. He can still soak up PP time, but he's useless 5v5. Bring in Miller for a game and see if he can hadle spot 3C duties.

Nash-Stepan-St.Louis
Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello
Richards-Miller-Hagelin
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett

Maybe switch St.Louis and Hagelin to give the Stepan line a puck hound.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
In theory it's quite easy: Our best players (McDonagh, Lundqvist, Nash) have to play at their best and we will win the series.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Just my opinion, but i'd prefer Fast in the lineup than any of the other healthy options on the roster (Carcillo, Miller).

Fast is intelligent, he doesn't hurt the team defensively, and he plays physical.

Carcillo, I'm afraid will cross the line and take stupid penalties at inopportune times.

I didn't notice Fast last game and he has looked extremely un impressive so far. Id rather Miller or Carcillo be in 10/10.

These are the playoffs. The whole "id rather Miller start over a guy who won't be here next year thing" is very naive. You put the player in who gives you the best chance to move on. Right now in my opinion that is Carcillo, then Miller, then Fast.

We are going to Philadelphia. They are going to be AMPED at home and things will get rough and dirty. If we are winning the game comfortably, you know the Flyers will resort to that garbage, WWE style of hockey they are so famous for. Id much rather be able to send Dorsett and Carcillo out there together.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
I expect better effort. However, the question remains are they willing to get their nose dirty when the Flyers stack at the blue line? They will need to chip the puck past the defense and go into corners.

Part of it is certainly winning battles along the boards, but we also need to create more situations where we have speed through the neutral zone with the puck, and force their defense to back up off the blue line.

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL
In theory it's quite easy: Our best players (McDonagh, Lundqvist, Nash) have to play at their best and we will win the series.

Yup. Applies to every team, really.

I'm not worried about McD or Lundqvist. It's Nash. Brings no intensity at all and, to me, it doesn't look like he's playing hard at all.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
I didn't notice Fast last game and he has looked extremely un impressive so far. Id rather Miller or Carcillo be in 10/10.

Should be mentioned that when JT Miller is 'noticed', it is sometimes because he's half a rink out of position and it leads to an odd-man rush for the other team. If Fast is not noticed that way, it's not a bad thing.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Part of it is certainly winning battles along the boards, but we also need to create more situations where we have speed through the neutral zone with the puck, and force their defense to back up off the blue line.
I agree. Unfortunately, the player most suited to do that has also shied away. Nash has the size and speed to break the Flyers D. But he has been unwilling to play that way.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Duguay said it the other day, rangers were too soft and didn't want to engage to a fault.

You cant resort to their stupidity, but you cant be too passive either. We let them dictate the play and well lose regardless.

It all comes down to execution and playing rangers hockey.if we match them with effort theyll eventually win out.

Make them regret Emeryville playing

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Should be mentioned that when JT Miller is 'noticed', it is sometimes because he's half a rink out of position and it leads to an odd-man rush for the other team. If Fast is not noticed that way, it's not a bad thing.

While you do make a good point, during the playoffs you need all of your forwards to be engaged. I didn't see Fast engaged in much at all.

At this point I think the best decision would be to put Carcillo in. Fast only had 8:49 of ice time last game. If you only have Carcillo play 8 minutes, not much would change.

Side note: Klein only had 9:56 of ice time? I didn't think he played poorly. Maybe because we had 5-6 power plays?

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Losing 2 out of 3 to Ray Emery would be unacceptable.

1 goal in 14 New York Rangers playoff games is unacceptable Rick Nash.

Fix it.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Carcillo has been nothing less than decent with the majority of his games being pretty good. Inserting him how with the Flyers propensity for stupid plays may pay dividends if he uses his head and skates away. Which he is totally capable of, the more players that irritate the Flyers by just being on the ice the better IMO. They're already annoyed by Zucc, Dorsett, etc and are letting them goad them a bit.

Keep the Flyers playing their game and reap the benefits on the PP.

Need to crash the net and get shots from everywhere + rebounds, worry about getting Emery moving while on the man advantage otherwise take what you're given.

Last edited:

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Agree with some of the other posts... the net presence has been pretty poor for the most part, and that's how some goals need to be scored in the playoffs. Trying to execute the perfect passing play every time or taking unscreened wristers from the blue line is not going to work.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Agree with some of the other posts... the net presence has been pretty poor for the most part, and that's how some goals need to be scored in the playoffs. Trying to execute the perfect passing play every time or taking unscreened wristers from the blue line is not going to work.

Is this team skilled enough and willing enough to take advantage of what the Flyers will give them? I really think the "get Emery moving side to side with east/west passing" has run its course. The Flyers will continue to be cognizant of that and clog up the middle.

I know the team is now billed as a skilled/puck possession team but we need to see a willingness to muck it up too. Chip it deep, win a battle, get guys going to the net - take a rush when its there.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY

its been non-existent, as has Emerys rebound control.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Is this team skilled enough and willing enough to take advantage of what the Flyers will give them? I really think the "get Emery moving side to side with east/west passing" has run its course. The Flyers will continue to be cognizant of that and clog up the middle.

I know the team is now billed as a skilled/puck possession team but we need to see a willingness to muck it up too. Chip it deep, win a battle, get guys going to the net - take a rush when its there.

In the 2nd half of game 2 Emery was absolutely cheating on the cross ice pass but the Rangers failed to recognize.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Losing 2 out of 3 to Ray Emery would be unacceptable.

1 goal in 14 New York Rangers playoff games is unacceptable Rick Nash.

Fix it.

I'm sure I'm not the first to mention it but maybe he's damaged goods. He never engages and wins puck battles along the boards. What does he have 10 hits all year? I think some players have that many hits in one game. I'm not saying that's his game but with his size something can't be right. Or is pure laziness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad