Pre-Game Talk: Game 3 @ Philly (Emery to Start)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
We have yet to beat Emery on a straight up shot. 4 of 6 goals were with him moving and 2 were on a rebound. I don't know if it's because he's so good or we're so bad in that regard.

Stuff happens. Sometimes goalies (all players for that matter) get in a zone, but at some point they usually go back to what they are. Hopefully that happens with Emery asap.

SupersonicMonkey*

Carcillo is the new Avery around here.

I'd rather not get into an emotional battle with the Flyers. If that means keeping Carcillo out of the lineup, so be it.

Agree. The way i'd like us to respond is by putting the puck in the net, and shut them down defensively, like we did in game 1.

When we don't fall for their B.S. it frustrates them.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Emery is a big goalie with bad movement, so it reasons that we're going to score on plays that require him to change position quickly.

That's not a tactic I'd change, honestly.

Pitt is in a 1-1 tie with CBJ and they aren't in sky-is-falling mode, don't see why we should be. This is a road team, we should be aiming to take both games in Philadelphia.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Rangers just shouldn't look for passing plays Every time enter their zone.

The opportunities will present themselves but .they became a little too predictable.

They had a tough time gaining the zone altogether in the 3rd.

Rangers are skilled enough to beat the Flyers. I have no doubts.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Emery is a big goalie with bad movement, so it reasons that we're going to score on plays that require him to change position quickly.

That's not a tactic I'd change, honestly.

Pitt is in a 1-1 tie with CBJ and they aren't in sky-is-falling mode, don't see why we should be. This is a road team, we should be aiming to take both games in Philadelphia.

i agree completely with this post... plus, lets flip this around.

Flyers get all confident and think they are GOAT because they finally won a game at MSG... you think they are going to come out flying game 3? Maybe for half of the first period, but it will be an even period, they'll calm down, and that's when we take over.

I would not worry. Chances are philly is so high on this win that they aren't in reality. Reality is the Rangers are the better team.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Totally agree. Rangers are the better team, and as long as we don't get outworked that will win out in the end.

KingP

Mar 24, 2012
New york
Rangers just shouldn't look for passing plays Every time enter their zone.

The opportunities will present themselves but .they became a little too predictable.

They had a tough time gaining the zone altogether in the 3rd.

Rangers are skilled enough to beat the Flyers. I have no doubts.
We also need to get in front of the net more

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
My vote is to swap Fast for Carcillo.

I agree, though it seems to be an unpopular opinion here.
Playoff hockey calls for playoff type players. Fast just hasn't played with the club enough.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Carcillo should definitely be in, if only to be a lightning rod for flyer stupidity.

He goes to the net hard. Hes not a bad hockey player , but I wont lie he is a liabilty and he would have
To be managed properly...

I have my doubts about Miller also. He looks over his head in reg. Season games not sure I want
him in their now

Carrillo has played in 37g in postseason
had a couple goals

Last edited:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Whoever the Rangers put in for Fast, the focus shouldnt be on how to beat Emery. They've scored 6 goals in this series against him. The Rangers need to concentrate their efforts on their team structure and defense and if they do that giving Lundqvist 3 goals should be enough to win.

They need to start buckling down and play a playoff type defensive game - in all zones. The Flyers are a dangerous offensive team, so the Rangers need to have the puck like in Game 1 but they also need to manage it better. They did a fantastic job of that in Game 1 they just need to find it again. Considering they've executed well on the road all season going to Philly might be a positive.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Whoever the Rangers put in for Fast, the focus shouldnt be on how to beat Emery. They've scored 6 goals in this series against him. The Rangers need to concentrate their efforts on their team structure and defense and if they do that giving Lundqvist 3 goals should be enough to win.

They need to start buckling down and play a playoff type defensive game - in all zones. The Flyers are a dangerous offensive team, so the Rangers need to have the puck like in Game 1 but they also need to manage it better. They did a fantastic job of that in Game 1 they just need to find it again. Considering they've executed well on the road all season going to Philly might be a positive.

Right now defensively, I trust Carcillo more over Miller.

Though I don't think is or has been the problem. Think he has been fine.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Lundqvist/McDonagh need to up their game in a big way tomorrow night.

Lundqvist wasn't BAD, but he could have been better than what he was.

McDonagh was BAD. And needs to vastly improve. I can't believe five games off has thrown him off this much. His decision making on the ice has been beyond poor, and he's been one of our worst players this series.

I have no doubt that Lundqvist/McDonagh will improve. But seven games isn't that long. I hope McDonagh finds his game THIS round. It may be too late if he waits for round two.

And I don't mind Carcillo being in. He might take a dumb penalty or two, but I can certainly see him goating some Flyers into a couple of bad penalties too. And our team is a bunch of soft push overs. We can use an agitator in the line up.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I have a feeling when all is said and done we're going to find out McDonagh is playing hurt.

He looks much slower than normal, and much less engaged than normal.

Hard to believe it is just rust.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

McDonagh was BAD. And needs to vastly improve. I can't believe five games off has thrown him off this much. His decision making on the ice has been beyond poor, and he's been one of our worst players this series.

I have no doubt that Lundqvist/McDonagh will improve. But seven games isn't that long. I hope McDonagh finds his game THIS round. It may be too late if he waits for round two.

And I don't mind Carcillo being in. He might take a dumb penalty or two, but I can certainly see him goating some Flyers into a couple of bad penalties too. And our team is a bunch of soft push overs. We can use an agitator in the line up.

I have to agree with McDonagh, i cant fault him for it really because he was on the shelf for a while and who knows, hes probably still injured for all we know.

He was tremendous before he got hurt, on both sides of the puck. Hell get back there. Hes a gamer. Hell only get better as the series goes on. Hes a special kid.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

Flyers fan here. I agree with mcdonagh. When we get on him he turns it over and when we test him he has faultered. He has to be playing hurt bc he's too good for what I have seen. The guy is a Norris winner no doubt.

Also I will tell you that the flyers run on emotion this year. That will be over taken by maturity and a system next year more and more but not right now. Guys like Simmonds haven't done a thing bc they need that spark. If Carrillo is in there will be more emotion. I'm not sure what he does for your team but I'd say it's more a minus than a plus in this series.

There is not a player on offense that won't get sparked and play harder with things carcillo MAY do. Obviously if he scores and stays calm then that's that.

ltsthinaz

Dec 20, 2011
Kingman, Arizona
I also would like to see the Rangers stop always looking for the pretty pass. MSL and Stepan in particular. Especially on the power play, they've reverted to overpassing the puck.

I would agree MCD looks like he's playing hurt/protecting his shoulder/afraid to be physical due to injury. I think he started to look better later in Game 2, taking a few chances, so I'm optimistic he'll come back to form.

Face it, Rangers let off the gas after it became 2-0 so early in Game 2, Flyers were ripe for slaughter and we let them off the hook.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
If Carcillo comes in it's for energy and his experience.

Putting him in and telling him to be a lightning rod and to stir things up plays right into Philly's hands. We beat them by ignoring that stuff and playing whistle to whistle. Let them do dumb **** and make dirty plays. We finish checks, play clean and play whistle to whistle.

That quote Babcock said after game 2 vs Boston applies to us. We can't focus on the extracurricular stuff. If we play with speed and skill, play our puck possession game and don't try and match Philly's physical play, we will win. And I'm not saying to not play physical. Finish checks and play physical, but be clean and don't get involved in after the whistle stuff too often and don't let Philly rattle us. That's what they do. Play dirty and rattle us, so our guys worry more about getting hit and hitting them than they do playing our game.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Also I will tell you that the flyers run on emotion this year. That will be over taken by maturity and a system next year more and more but not right now. Guys like Simmonds haven't done a thing bc they need that spark. If Carrillo is in there will be more emotion. I'm not sure what he does for your team but I'd say it's more a minus than a plus in this series.

There is not a player on offense that won't get sparked and play harder with things carcillo MAY do. Obviously if he scores and stays calm then that's that.

Agree completely with this. Philly runs on emotion, it fuels them. I have a bad feeling Carcillo in the game if he's pulling shenanigans will fuel guys like Simmonds and Hartnell and Schenn to be better and more engaged.

BarbaraAlphanse

Just my opinion, but i'd prefer Fast in the lineup than any of the other healthy options on the roster (Carcillo, Miller).

Fast is intelligent, he doesn't hurt the team defensively, and he plays physical.

Carcillo, I'm afraid will cross the line and take stupid penalties at inopportune times.

I don't disagree with your assessment of why Fast should be in over Carcillo, but the last statement makes no sense based on what he's shown us since he's been here. He's played very smart and he's drawn more penalties than he has given.

Whether it is him or Dorsett is a toss up to me, on a given night. Against the Flyers, I think Carcillo should be in, purely because he has a history and hypothetically should have more incentive to go balls to the wall playing against them. Similarly, Dorsett should be in if we were to play the Blue Jackets at any point.

They're a pretty even trade off if you ask me. But Carc/Dors over Fast doesn't make much sense to me.

BarbaraAlphanse

If Carcillo comes in it's for energy and his experience.

Putting him in and telling him to be a lightning rod and to stir things up plays right into Philly's hands. We beat them by ignoring that stuff and playing whistle to whistle. Let them do dumb **** and make dirty plays. We finish checks, play clean and play whistle to whistle.

That quote Babcock said after game 2 vs Boston applies to us. We can't focus on the extracurricular stuff. If we play with speed and skill, play our puck possession game and don't try and match Philly's physical play, we will win. And I'm not saying to not play physical. Finish checks and play physical, but be clean and don't get involved in after the whistle stuff too often and don't let Philly rattle us. That's what they do. Play dirty and rattle us, so our guys worry more about getting hit and hitting them than they do playing our game.

I think what Babcock said was very articulate and spot on... for his team. We're not engaging in an obscene amount of extra curricular play. In fact, the team's have been relatively passive for what I've expected - especially from the Flyers.

The Rangers lost the last game because they stopped playing, not because they engaged in a different style of hockey. In fact, I'd even argue that if Dorsett had fought someone like Rinaldo, two non-factor players, it would have had a more positive effect than what the Rangers ended up doing.

This team plays its best hockey when it is involved emotionally in it. The game against CBJ? We matched their goonery. We owned them in every facet. This team is capable of playing physical and remaining under control. It's lack of focus that unravels the seam. They lack the killer instinct and mentality to give it 100% even when they don't need to.

Above and Beyond is their slogan this year. They're not going above and beyond anything when they get comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg